• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

mechanisms and dangers of albuterol (asthma inhaler)

asthma albuterol

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 03:02 PM

suffered from long-time asthma, albuterol really helps. what are the dangers of long-term use?

I’d also note (perhaps due to just feeling better) that for a few hours albuterol makes me feel a lot more relaxed, fun, less irritable, etc. I have read about the asthma-psychiatric connection but don’t understand much, what’s going on here?

Thanks

#2 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:30 AM

There are very few dangers of longterm use when properly used, except for tolerance to the relief it provides; albuterol is a very safe and effective drug, as is levoalbuterol. Tolerance is a definite concern however and the reason that the inhaler is directed to be used solely for salvation from an asthma attack, and current medical practice is to pair it with a corticosteroid maintenance inhaler. In asthma sufferers who use albuterol alone, there has been some suggestion that hospitalizations and death from asthma are somewhat higher statistically speaking; other reviews find it to even out. This is specifically because of the tolerance issue. When a user is tolerant, not only do they potentially get into a situation where it will no longer relieve asthma, they tend to have to use more to do so, which increases peripheral side effects. Having to use a lot will result in the beta-2-agonist side effect profile, which is similar to what you'd see with other adrenergics. Systemic increase in blood pressure, tachycardia.

As for the inhaled corticosteroids used for asthma, at low doses most of them don't present a significant concern as far as typical corticosteroid side effects: at higher doses and with systemic oral corticosteroids those issues do potentially exist.

As for the psychoactive effect you mention, I'm not sure. I haven't experienced that myself over the years of taking the stuff, except insofar as it's nice to stop having an asthma attack if I was having one. But then, I take a psychostimulant for ADHD. The two obvious possibilities are that (1) you have low-level bronchoconstriction that isn't always noticeable, hence feeling subtly better when it's relieved (2)that you're enjoying systemic stimulation. How do you react to things like coffee?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: asthma, albuterol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users