• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

does anyone know if those glucosamine life extending studies used hydrochloride or sulfate?

glucosamine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:32 AM

I just read through one of the studies and another site that takes about them and they just say glucosamine.  It doesn't specify which kind.  Does this mean it doesn't matter? Is there a difference?  I've heard sulfate increases your sodium levels and something like 1,500mg of hydrochloride is = to 2,600mg of sulfate.

#2 Danniel

• 93 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:27 PM

Would be helpful if you would add links.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:11 PM

Considering the consistent research showing glucosamine to be safe and effective at slowing aging through several mechanisms, I thought this question would be a good one to answer.

I called LEF and they said the main difference between the two is that the hydrochloride version is more pure, while the sulfate version is more stable with the added salts.

They also said that the sulfate version is more bioavailable.

• Informative x 2

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:56 PM

I've heard sulfate increases your sodium levels

Source please. I've got about 1.5 g/d of sulfate, mainly from Mg-sulfate in a mineral water. My serum sodium levels are however have been low-normal, or slightly deficient for the last 12 years.

#5 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 04:19 AM

I've switched to N-Acetyl-Glucosamine. Can't say if its more effective or not, I don't know if anyone has any thoughts on this form vs the regular sulphate forms.

#6 Guest

• 320 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:34 PM

I've switched to N-Acetyl-Glucosamine. Can't say if its more effective or not, I don't know if anyone has any thoughts on this form vs the regular sulphate forms.

NAG is functionally different than Glucosamine. It does not work on the same cellular channels and does not, for example, show the anti-inflammatory or autophagy effect of GS.

#7 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 04:28 PM

I asked around but could not find any information about the different forms of glucosamine. Most people just assumed they had the same effectiveness.

#8 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:57 AM

NAG is functionally different than Glucosamine. It does not work on the same cellular channels and does not, for example, show the anti-inflammatory or autophagy effect of GS.

https://pubmed.ncbi....ih.gov/9001835/

This study shows that N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (NAG) coverts to glucosamine in vivo. 

• Informative x 1

#9 Guest

• 320 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 01:24 PM

https://pubmed.ncbi....ih.gov/9001835/

This study shows that N-acetyl-D-glucosamine (NAG) coverts to glucosamine in vivo. 

A tiny fraction, yes.

It shows an elevation of 10%-12% of GS compared to baseline level.

In contrast, a similar amount of ingestion of GS leads to about 400% increase in baseline level:

https://www.oarsijou...0193-7/fulltext

Also while GS is fairly bio-available, the study you cited shows a mediocre bio-availability of NAG:

Because of individual differences and because subjects were not fasting for all time periods, it is more informative to view the quantitative responses of each individual. For example, comparison of serum NAG levels at TO with pretest levels showed that 13 (65%) of the 20 samples taken from the 10 subjects demonstrated increased serum NAG concentrations. A similar number of NAG ingestors and POLY-Nag ingestors showed increased serum NAG concentrations (6 of 10 and 7 of i0, respectively). In addition, because the TO sample was taken in the morning before subjects received the final dose of the drug, another important comparison is to contrast the pretest NAG level with the NAG level at 1 hour. In this case, 14 (70%) of the 20 samples demonstrated increases in serum NAG levels (8 of 10 NAG ingestors and 6 of l0 POLY-Nag ingestors). These data indicate that ingestion of either NAG or POLY-Nag results in absorption and a resulting elevation in serum NAG levels.

So:

- less bio-available

- of the little you get into plasma, only a small fraction may convert to GS (the study has never been replicated, so don't count on it)

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Guest

• 320 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 04:19 AM

Just to illustrate that NAG and GS are really different substances in human metabolism:

there are only a hand full of studies doing a head to head comparison of effects - the most direct one is this study:

Assessment of protective effects of glucosamine and N-acetyl glucosamine against DNA damage

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/24444050/

The result:

glucosamine has a strong DNA-protection effect in vitro

NAG only has a small effect in vitro

Moreover glucosamine got a strong effect against DNA damage even the lowest concentration investigated - NAG got it's small effect only at maximum concentrations used and is useless at smaller levels. I'm attaching an image of the results (grey: GS , dark-grey: NAG ; the column on the left is for controls at 0 concentration of both)

So NAG is less bio-available and the portion of it that makes it into the cell does not provide the same benefits as GS.

If you want to receive the benefits of GS, you have to take GS (normally GS sulfate) and should stay away from NAG.

Attached Files

Edited by Guest, 24 February 2021 - 04:36 AM.

• Informative x 3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glucosamine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users