* * * * - 2 votes

long term, regular marijuana use

pot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 01:50 AM

I'm curious to know, to explain, does using marijuana in low doses during the biggest part from the day cause any harm?  I'm talking low doses, so low you don't get high, but enough to slightly notice.  Microdosing.  Across like 16 hours a day.  It's not like you're getting stoned, you're just having thc in the system for a long period of time.

#2 eigenber

• 64 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:49 AM

I'd say if you slightly notice, you're slightly high. If you have consistent subjective and objective measures of 'improvement' in your performance in life, then perhaps you should keep doing it. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:06 AM

I want to know if there are any delayed cognitive problems or anything that  might occur.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#4 eigenber

• 64 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:41 AM

You would need a longitudinal cohort study of at least 20 years in duration (preferably 40) with a large enough sample of individuals willing to document their cannabis intake for the duration of the study. Then look at differences between light, medium, and heavy smokers (however that might be defined). There are no such studies, only anecdotal cases of life-long habitual smokers. I would imagine lung problems with heavy users after many years of daily use. But I really don't know. Cognitively, the tests for that would be more difficult to assess and separate out from normal aging changes. I know a few 70-something daily users with PhD's who are still active. 

#5 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:16 AM

I was pondering edibles.

#6 eigenber

• 64 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:31 AM

Microdosing edibles? I don't know. I believe ingested THC is in your system longer than inhalation, so I would imagine at higher doses, chronic use would affect STM and interfere with learning. With microdosing, who knows? There's a lot of individual differences in the molecule's effect. You'll only know by conducting your N of 1 trial. 

#7 ibtisam_midlet

• 105 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:42 AM

THC is not neurontoxic to have irreversible effect, if you take low dose for long time you will develop dependence, its better to cycle it.
  • Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#8 Vethermond

• 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 03:26 PM

The fact is that marijuana causes harm anyway. Of course, if you get low doses you won't feel anything bad in the short-run but in the long-run the results would be bad. Yes, it generally depends on your health condition and the quality of weed as well. I personally have quit smoking weed and tried to replace it with marijuana edibles.

I get it usually at the breakfast but in low doses. Can't say that it's something healthy, but I notice the general improvement of my condition. I discovered some good edibles on https://www.justcannabis.shop that are made of good quality marijuana. I think that microdosing edibles can't cause you any harm even if you use them daily.

• Needs references x 2

#9 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:57 AM

MJ has been used for millenia and studied for many years. So far, only short term problems have been found such as memory and a few other factors being worse while in a state of intoxication. However, this all seems to reverse once its discontinued. It does not seem to cause lung injury though I think edible is a better way to use it if you are going to use mj. Anything burning is going to produce some toxic chemicals so vaping or eating will be better than burning.

We have been exposed to lots of propaganda and disinfo about many substances over the years. Tobacco which is well known to be toxic is available over the counter and the only restrictions are against minors using it. Marijuana helps a number of medical conditions from glaucoma to nausea, its a pain reliever and helps people sleep. It produces no physical dependence on discontinuation

Micro dosing is an interesting experiment. What benefits do you believe you will see with this protocol? I have heard about microdosing psilocybin for depression and it seems to be effective though psilocybin is an illegal drug.

• Needs references x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:06 AM

You would need a longitudinal cohort study of at least 20 years in duration (preferably 40) with a large enough sample of individuals willing to document their cannabis intake for the duration of the study. Then look at differences between light, medium, and heavy smokers (however that might be defined). There are no such studies, only anecdotal cases of life-long habitual smokers. I would imagine lung problems with heavy users after many years of daily use. But I really don't know. Cognitively, the tests for that would be more difficult to assess and separate out from normal aging changes. I know a few 70-something daily users with PhD's who are still active.

PHD in what drumming? There's a reason why I don't know any Phd physicists or medical doctors who use dope: its bad for you.
  • Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#11 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:08 AM

MJ has been used for millenia and studied for many years. So far, only short term problems have been found such as memory and a few other factors being worse while in a state of intoxication. However, this all seems to reverse once its discontinued. It does not seem to cause lung injury though I think edible is a better way to use it if you are going to use mj. Anything burning is going to produce some toxic chemicals so vaping or eating will be better than burning.

We have been exposed to lots of propaganda and disinfo about many substances over the years. Tobacco which is well known to be toxic is available over the counter and the only restrictions are against minors using it. Marijuana helps a number of medical conditions from glaucoma to nausea, its a pain reliever and helps people sleep. It produces no physical dependence on discontinuation

Micro dosing is an interesting experiment. What benefits do you believe you will see with this protocol? I have heard about microdosing psilocybin for depression and it seems to be effective though psilocybin is an illegal drug.

I've known people who use dope and wrecked their brains in the name of feeling buzzed all their lives.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#12 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 03:09 AM

However, this all seems to reverse once its discontinued.

Woah, this is not a good bit of advice.

Several studies, including two large longitudinal studies, suggest that marijuana use can cause permanent functional impairment in cognitive abilities but that the degree and/or permanence of the impairment depends on the age when a person began using and how much and how long.

Those who started under 20 obviously have the most severe impairments.   I have friends from H.S. who had MJ destroy their future, knocking down their IQ, memory, and verbal skills significantly.

Yes, it's not as deadly as smoking tobacco.  But there are other considerations here.

But as far as low-doses of it and long-term impairment, I'm not aware of any studies that have looked into this.

• Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 adamh

• 1,032 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:50 PM

@rodentman do you have a link to those studies you spoke of?

No one is saying pot is totally harmless and does not need to be used with caution. All drugs have side effects and many can be deadly if overdosed. No one has died from a mj overdose that I'm aware of. That is more than you can say for other pain relievers which can result in liver failure, kidney failure or death and that includes many over the counter preparations.

A doctor prescribed it for me and its legal here. Its great for insomnia, pain, nausea, chemotherapy patients often use it. It has shown benefit for glaucoma and is sometimes prescribed for other conditions including:

• anxiety
  • epilepsy
  • multiple sclerosis
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Tourette syndrome

https://www.healthli...marijuana#risks

I've known people who ruined their lives with alcohol or addictions to other substances or addictive behaviors. We all know or have heard about that, we probably know some personally. What benefit does alcohol give vs its life destroying potential? Morphine relieves pain but can kill and is addictive, I rarely see people here ranting against opiates, we just say use them responsibly. Thats all I'm saying.

• Well Written x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users