Photo
- - - - -

My regime

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:34 AM

At the moment. I'm not *really* on any regimes.

Now and again I take zinc and ordorless garlic capsules.

I use broadspectrum pro-biotics about twice a week http://www.totallyna...shing-flora.htm

A few years ago I used to take MSM because I was under the impression it could heal or at least fade some acne scarring that I had/have. I don't know if it helped but I'm no longer concerned about my skin.

I eat lots of subway and deli made chicken salad / beetroot / avocardo rolls.

I have beef/lamb/pork roastes for dinner as well as chicken, lamb, spag bol or chinese

I've been eating the FIFA (vanilla flavoured) cereal for breakfast but I often just have fruit or a deli sandwich. I snack on olives.

I eat oranges, mandarines and apples.

I try to stay away from fastfood but I live near a commercial strip of outlets and I'm self-employed on so end up eating the subway but sometimes I fall victim to Hungry Jacks (burger king) and McDonalds or Red Rooster.

Edited by caston, 24 June 2006 - 07:56 AM.

#2 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:24 AM

According to the Segment "DNA doctor" on the Australian Broadcasting Corporations show Catalyst I should take folate and vitamin B12 to help my body repair DNA damage.
http://www.abc.net.a...tch/default.htm

http://www.csiro.au/...ard/psu2,,.html

Edited by caston, 24 June 2006 - 07:48 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:05 AM

According to the Segment "DNA doctor" on the Australian Broadcasting Corporations show Catalyst I should take folate and vitamin B12 to help my body repair DNA damage.

You should anyway :D

#4 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:29 AM

What we really need is a list of the most important supplements and why.

Edited by caston, 24 June 2006 - 05:23 PM.

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:26 PM

We really need is a list of the most important supplements and why.

That is entirely too vague. For what purpose? For what individual?

#6 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

That is entirely too vague. For what purpose? For what individual?

I think something along the lines of a carefully designed database of supplements would be fantastic. Partially for the reasons implied by your question. So much out there is touted for treatment of everything under the sun. It'd be really helpful to have a frontend that someone could throw a disease or subject of concern into, and expect to be greeted with a concise list of best choices. Best in terms of number of positive studies poised against the total number of studies on the substance, referenced up or down depending on whether studies were part of an actual experiment or not, and with a listing of the most relevant citations.

Total pipe-dream of course. I'd love to put something like that together, but only if I was doing it as my sole duty for the day. There's such a God awful amount of studies to dig through on anything even approaching controversy, while on the other hand a terrible lack for substances never blown across the 10pm TV news. A project like that would entail slogging through a hellish number of journals. But it's the most important step of doing additional evaluation for bias or flawed methodology in each and every study that might be included which would make it such a chore. Something like that would require either the free time of a wealthy dowager or the obsessive work ethic of....you know...a......work ethicy guy.

#7 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:35 PM

We could probably do a top 3-5 for any situation/budget/etc. Past that, a lot of other variables come into play.

#8 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:08 AM

OK this is a bit personal but I guess we are all scientists here.

I was exposed to a strain of HPV from my last girlfriend and since then have had a problem with candidiasis hence why I'm taking pro-biotic s and garlic capsules. The only thing my doctor can recommend is sticking to a broad spectrum anti-fungal cream like lamisil or dakta gold. For the HPV I was prescribed Aldara by a dermatologist but I got fed up with it because it is expensive and comes in "single use" satchels that you need to seal with sticky tape and reuse.

My body seems to be extremely sensitive to sugars and the candidiasis comes back with fury if I eat things like cake or drink milk. I used to have an extreme habit of drinking large quantities of choc-milk that I have abandoned. I had temporary luck with 1 direct application of garlic extract left overnight but I did not use the Dakta anti-fungal cream yesterday or last night and had been out drinking alcohol and eating cake at a party and it returned during my sleep.

I was tested for diabetes amongst other things and my doctor says I don't have it.

I need a regimen to help my body fight these infections and minimise the risk of prostate cancer. I hope you don't see me as any less of a person now.

Edited by caston, 25 June 2006 - 05:03 AM.

#9 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:03 PM

I think something along the lines of a carefully designed database of supplements would be fantastic. Partially for the reasons implied by your question. So much out there is touted for treatment of everything under the sun. It'd be really helpful to have a frontend that someone could throw a disease or subject of concern into, and expect to be greeted with a concise list of best choices. Best in terms of number of positive studies poised against the total number of studies on the substance, referenced up or down depending on whether studies were part of an actual experiment or not, and with a listing of the most relevant citations.

Total pipe-dream of course. I'd love to put something like that together, but only if I was doing it as my sole duty for the day. There's such a God awful amount of studies to dig through on anything even approaching controversy, while on the other hand a terrible lack for substances never blown across the 10pm TV news. A project like that would entail slogging through a hellish number of journals. But it's the most important step of doing additional evaluation for bias or flawed methodology in each and every study that might be included which would make it such a chore. Something like that would require either the free time of a wealthy dowager or the obsessive work ethic of....you know...a......work ethicy guy.

I attempted a very very primitive version of what you speak, about 6 months ago. Since that time the thread has fallen, and no one reads it, so I've been taking some time every once in a while to try and update it. I'm still working on listing and classifying all supplements. Then some form of ranking, followed by LE-friendly activities. Just thought I'd put that out there.

#10 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:42 PM

Caston, my knowledge of HPV is very minimal. However, my top three supplements for everyone, regardless of goal:

1. Multi
2. EFAs
3. Vitamin C

#11 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:58 PM

I need a regimen to help my body fight these infections and minimise the risk of prostate cancer. I hope you don't see me as any less of a person now.

Disclaimer: First of all i'm not a scientist and i'm not responsible for unwise use of anything i suggest :)

Candida: First of all remove all sweets and simple carbs from your diet. Try caprilic acid and/or pau d'arco, stacked with a good probiotic. I found this product to be very effective:
http://www.highernat...uct/View/CAN090

Immune system: Lactoferrin, AHCC (or cheaper mushroom blends), cats claw ROOT.

Prostate: Not sure of cancer prevention (I think the opinion is divided if supps can increace or decrease cancer risk), but bee pollen, saw palmetto and pygeum are used to help in BPH.

#12 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:59 PM

Thanks guys. I'll update this as I get my regimen into gear.

• Lurker

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:29 PM

Eating that diet for getting rid of candida is a real challenge. Of course, you realize that booze ruins the whole effort for you. That diet does not allow anything sweet, anything you are likely to grab on the run too.

I have had a problem with candida in my GI tract and have used a number of different products from the health food store. If you have a serious overrun of yeast in your GI tract it is not really advisable to take probiotics. Good bacteria may actually be outnumbered by the yeast already established, and the yeast may only use the good bacteria as food. You really need something that kills off the yeast. I like Candex which is digestive enymes that you do not use for digestion but actually breakdown the cell walls of the yearst. This is one product that is good to try but a box of this stuff will cost you about $40.

Caprylic acid is something that is known to kill off the yeast but not the good bacteria. Caprol is the form of carpylic acid that comes in an oil base that helps it coat the lining of your GI tract. You can also buy capryrlic acid in capsule form too.

You can also consider taking Aqua Flora which is a homepathic product.

If you use more than one product then you are likely to get rid of more than one strain of yeast. Sometimes it does help to use more than just one produce alone.

But the diet is nearly impossible to do. Go to your local health food store and see what they have. Do a search on the internet too to see what is out there and how much the stuff costs. It is possible to treat a yeast overgrowth in your GI tract with some over the counter products that don't have any serious liver damaging side effects.

#14 stephen

• 202 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

Eating that diet for getting rid of candida is a real challenge. Of course, you realize that booze ruins the whole effort for you. That diet does not allow anything sweet, anything you are likely to grab on the run too.

Sounds like a good deal! I need a disease that will force me to stop killing myself with sugar. Send me some in an envelope? :)

#15 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:56 PM

Haha. I'm back on the Aldara now. Went to see a different doctor today but he just wanted to burn the warts off which isn't a bad idea but I should finish the Aldara treatment first incase it actually kicks the things ass.

I'm thinking of adding resveratrol, acetyl-L-carnitine and l-carnosine to my regimen. What do you think?

I've also started taking vitamin C sugarless in tab form. More recently though I have decided to start eating
a red capsicum every morning with breakfast.

A customer gave me a box of USANA "mega anti-oxidents" and "multi-minerals". So far i've been taking the multi minerals.

#16 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

See the CR Society post on the subject: http://bestofcr.com/node/view/1196
As you can see, if you avoid milk, eat cooked tomatoes, drink green tea, take selenium and ejaculate frequently (not mentioned in the CR list but do some googling), your risk of prostate cancer will be drastically decreased.

#17 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:10 PM

Thank you. I eat plenty of meat but should I still supplement selenium? I eat lots of baby tomatoes raw. Is there likely to be much lycopene in the red capsicum I have for breakfast? I don't drink green tea but might start now. No problems with the last one :)

#18 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

I drink green tea now.

Just got some supplements in from relentless improvement:
AOR 60 500mg l-carnosine caps
VRP 360 750mg caps DMAE
AOR Alcar 180 500mg N-Acety-l-caritine caps

I already eat a lot of meat so I'm thinking 1 l-carnosine cap a day and 3 caps DMAE and 3 caps of the N-Acety-l-caritine.

How does that sound?

Also I found the following on google answers:

http://answers.googl...dview?id=564071

I going to call around and see if there is a uroligist that can give me a male HPV test in Perth. I've decided I going to get to know my enemy and kick its ass.

#19 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:59 PM

I had some warts that I was going to get frozen off but they seem to have almost disappeared on their own now.

I had a bit of an odor which has now gone and I'm starting to feel and smell like I was before I met that woman.

Perhaps my immune system is winning the battle against the HPV? That's the way I feel but of course it is difficult to find out if it is really gone from my system.

Damn I really miss sex.

I've been drinking about 2 litres of dark grape juice a day. I wrote to the company to ask if it contains resveratrol.

#20 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

>>> I've been drinking about 2 litres of dark grape juice a day.

I bet your triglycerides are shooting up, and you're stressing your pancreas, and generally aging faster (the side effect of sugar abundance). Not good.

#21 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, not so good on the grape juice.

#22 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:43 AM

thanks, I really should look into organising a kronos test soon.

#23 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:08 PM

Berri Australia called up today to confirm that their dark grape fruit juice does contain resveratrol. I didn't ask about the sugar content though and I was thinking that maybe I should have.

#24 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:30 AM

Could just taking l-carnosine and n-acetyl-l-carnatine be increasing my muscle mass? I'm not really exercising much at the moment but people keep asking me if i've been working out. Might be because I'm wearing tighter shirts now. I can't really be motivated to join a gym and keep going at the moment and can't afford to splash out on weights for a home gym so I'm thinking about doing body weight training.

#25 jamfropsi

• 40 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:52 AM

No taking those idependent of a progressive resistance training program will not increase muscle mass.

Body weight training is great but will only take you so far in terms of muscle mass but can take you on a journey in terms of GPP or just getting in great shape (functionally)

Check out these folks:

http://www.crossfit.com/

take time to explore their site, and take notice of the daily routines posted on the front page. Some of their exercises can be done at a park (so you don't have to worry about paying that gym fee. Also check out this page if ur confused about the terms that they use or anything else:

http://www.crossfit....f-info/faq.html

Also check out this link for bodyweight exercises...

http://forum.bodybui...ight=bodyweight

#26 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

Personally, I don't think CrossFit is anything someone should just jump into without a decent strength training background.

#27 jamfropsi

• 40 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

Not many folks who start cross-fit come from a strength training based backround. Many of them learn about it (mainly proper training form and olympic type lifts...to name a few) through the process of it all.

Though you are right in a sense that he would have to start very basic as compared to what they do in there full routines.

I posted the x-fit and that other link just to give him ideas of things that he could do at a park w/out the need of weights or a gym membership.

#28 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going to do body weight training at home then focus on becoming a good dancer rather than a body builder.

jamfropsi: That link (to the body building forum) you posted looks quite useful. I notice I can also find some short clips for various exercises on google video.

I bought the following today:

http://www.orbitfitn..._pop.php?id=102

Edited by caston, 25 January 2007 - 01:19 PM.

#29 jamfropsi

• 40 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

Nice! I guess you won't have to go to the park afterall.

Ohh and by the way, consider getting a jump rope (imo best/cheapest cardio equipment) and possibly an ab roller to further develope ur Core muscles.

Now the only muscle group that you might find problems working is your posterior chain. What you can do for this is 1-legged romanian deadlifts or stiff legged deadlifts. For further development look into this:

Sand bag training

http://www6.mailorde...asp?number=1390

I got these a while back. But before getting them i read a lot online about sand bag training. This is used mainly for functional/GPP type training. As of now, you might not need it, but if you ever feel as if you want to kick your work out program up a notch without having to buy a shyt load of free weights (which in my opinion would be better choice yet more expensive) then sand bag training would be the way to go.

Also, for your legs you should do Pleit' squats (sumo squats), which will help work your quads and hamstrings and I think you might be able to do calve raises w/ that but it might feel awkward. If you need any exercise ideas for a specific muscle group then let me know or just read up on that link....

....Later

sponsored ad

• Advert

#30 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:12 PM

Jamfropsi:

Yeah I'm on a large block by the river which brings up the point that it might be an idea to get a canoe.

Good idea about the sand bags.

I haven't thought much about what exercises I am going to do but I don't want to get into the trap of spending to much time working on my own development and thinking about what I want my body to be like like a lot of body builders do because its a never ending process.

I went to the gym 4-5 days a week from about 2001-2003 but haven't been since. I was told all this stuff that when you stop going your muscles quickly disappear but for some reason they either haven't or have only done so at a very slow rate. I'd like to keep fit so I still have a bit of a (upper body) build to me. I don't want to become skinny again but at the same time don't want it to turn into a narcisstic obsession.
I need to lose the tummy that I've got in the meantime from eating on the run before I got interested in life extension and immortality :)

Also I'd really like to do the kegel exercises :)

Edited by caston, 25 January 2007 - 03:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users