Photo
- - - - -

Aubrey de Grey’s astounding physical health

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mito

• 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:38 PM

I’ve heard it mentioned that Aubrey de Grey received the highest “scores” ever (for a man his age) on tests provided by the Kronos Centre in Scottsdale, AZ. This is a bit amazing in and of itself since it is also reported that de Grey appears to subsist primarily on English junk food and beer. de Grey himself has attributed his extraordinary health on “luck,” perhaps meaning his particular genetic endowment.

I don’t doubt the veracity of this story, but does anyone know any further details on how, exactly, de Grey was tested and what, exactly, were his great scores? The above website doesn’t seem to provide any specific information either on de Grey or the tests that they do to rate one’s health at a given age.

And if Dr. de Grey reads this, I’d sure appreciate hearing from the (healthy as a) horse’s mouth.

Thanks!

Edit: Fixed broken link to Kronos Centre website

Edited by maestro949, 12 February 2008 - 12:39 PM.

#2 ag24

• Honorary Member, Advisor
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

This is the first I'd heard that I beat any records (and indeed I'm not sure how many people as young as me have even had these tests), but I certainly did pretty well, both in 2002 when I was first tested and in 2006. The tests that are done are very extensive - summarised here:

http://www.kronoscen...er/medical.aspx
http://www.kronoscen...laboratory.aspx

I was particularly happy with the blood tests - CRP and peroxides undetectable, virtually no insulin but perfect insulin sensitivity, triglycerides at 42 mmol/L. Everything else was pretty good too - high bone density, low body fat, low blood pressure.

Genetic endowment, as you say, is probably the main thing.

#3 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:31 PM

Do you get moderate exercise as well? I forget where I saw it, but I believe you ride your bike to work?

#4 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

I've taken the Kronos test for several years and have talked about it here a few times. When I first took it, at 42 (I'm currently 45 as of last week), I also scored exceedingly well, and I'm even better now -- basically perfect/optimal in every category (Kronos measures each data point on two scales, normal for your age, and optimal for longevity). I'm working with a new "longevity" doctor in the last year, and both my new doctor and my previous doctor have said they've never met anyone as healthy as me, regardless of age.

Aubrey is correct in his assumption that hardly anyone under the age of 50 takes these tests. They are almost always given to people with known conditions who are trying to improve their health. With both my past and current longevity doctors, I'm the only patient they've had who comes to them purely for prevention -- everyone else they sees them because of poor health that they're trying to correct.

Kronos measures over 100 bio-markers, including the key ones like CPR, PSA, homocestine, fibrinogen, VLDL, hormones, toxic metals, oxidation, glucose, hydration, on and on. Highly recommended, though it costs $1000+ for a comprehensive test.

#5 mito

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:00 PM

This is the first I'd heard that I beat any records...

I’m recalling from memory (and perhaps without perfect accuracy) a mention in a couple of video clips and perhaps in an article or two. I’m working through all of these again and can provide some specific cites/clarifications eventually.

Your state of excellent health ties into my assertions in a previous post about the initial reactions that people have to the very idea of the extension of human life span that you propose is possible and of prioroty to persue. If one is in good health, presumably one’s subjective experience of being alive is primarily pleasurable. Who would want to see the conclusive end of something that, overall, they enjoy? For those whose subjective experience of life is primarily painful, physically and/or emotionally, the thought of this extending through hundreds and thousands of years is anathematic (if the latter is really a word, but I’m sure you understand what I mean).

As for myself, I am 44 and in quite good health (so far as I know), and my initial reaction to your proposals was “Yes! Absolutely! Let’s go for it!” But that’s because I continue to feel good. I enjoy the moment-to-moment experience of just being alive, not to mention continually learning new things.

But plenty of people start feeling lousy at a relatively early age. Feeling lousy does not, of course, preclude the achieving of great levels of “success“ in a given field of endeavor, say like becoming a writer/editor for a preeminent technology journal, or something like that. But such individuals will despise your ideas to the point of wanting to crush them out of existence, as if that were even possible at this Pontin... um, I mean point.

Thank you very much for your personal response.

#6 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:16 AM

I'm lucky. I can get all the above tests and more bulk billed. It does not cost me a cent. That's the way it should be!

#7 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

I'm lucky. I can get all the above tests and more bulk billed. It does not cost me a cent.  That's the way it should be!

I don't agree with state funded medicine as it tends to lend itself to epidemiology rather than a private doctor / patient contract. The PBS tends to develop drugs to meet the politcal agendas and health budgets of governments rather than the health care needs and personal budgets of patients.

Just out of interest what tests did you ask your doctor for?

#8 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:08 AM

There are not too many doctors who will bulk bill such a thing. It just seems an injustice that people with money to have access to these tests. Come on, US$1000+ for the tests mentioned by duke nukem above? Who can afford that?

Anyhow, here are the test I asked for

1. FBE (full Blood Examination)
2. CBC (Complete Blood count)
3. ESR
4. Fibrinogen
5. Hemoglobin A1c
6. DHEA
7. AM and PM Cortisol
8. HOC (Homocysteine)
9. CRP (C-reactive protein)
10. TSH
11. T3, T4
12. Iron binding
13. B12
14. free Testosterone
15. Estradiol
16. resting glucose

#9 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:37 AM

I've done the Kronos testing. I did it at age 31 and nicely came up as being a 25 year old (averaged, some parts younger, some older)--still the tests were quite extensive and a lot of fun.

#10 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

I've done the Kronos testing. I did it at age 31 and nicely came up as being a 25 year old (averaged, some parts younger, some older)--still the tests were quite extensive and a lot of fun.

When is the Boston branch opening ;)

Seriously, it would be nice if there were more labs like this around the country/world.

#11 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

When is the Boston branch opening ;)

Seriously, it would be nice if there were more labs like this around the country/world.

No, kidding I just wanted to get some blood work done and the last doctor I went to see didn't want to waste the resources until I actually had a specific medical condition.

#12 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

No, kidding I just wanted to get some blood work done and the last doctor I went to see didn't want to waste the resources until I actually had a specific medical condition.

Yeah, I remember when I was in Aus. before 2000 the doctors were somewhat antagonistic towards any sort of preemptive testing (it all seemed a bit of a bother to them), but I had hoped the attitude was improving.

#13 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:01 AM

It's not, my doctor seemed to be constantly looking at me in disbelief, ("he's not sick...what does he want?"). He said "Here's your results, I don't want to see you for another 20 years", to which I replied "see you next year" :~

Edited by Grail, 13 February 2008 - 12:01 AM.

#14 suu

• 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

If this is fasting triglycerides, there is something badly wrong with your metabolism or then the unit is wrong :-) Hopefully the latter.. It probably should be 42 mg/dl = 0.47 mmol/l.

I was inspired enough to take my own lab results (standard health check when I joined my current employer) from 1.5 years back when I was 29 y.o., and I got 0.4 mmol/l = 35 mg/dl. The reference maximum on my paper is 1.7 mmol/l.

Quote (sorry I got no peer-reviewed data now) from http://www.reducetri...conversion.htm:
Although medical establishments consider blood triglyceride levels of 10 - 150 mg/dL, or 0.1 - 1.7 mmol/L normal, or good, according to many experts, desirable or favorable fasting blood triglyceride levels should be 50 - 150 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or 0.6 - 1.7 millimoles per liter (mmol/L) of blood.

I guess such lab tests will become more popular as people get more conscious about factors affecting their health. Personally I have found health research on hunter-gatherer cultures pretty fascinating. No atherosclerosis, low blood pressure even at advanced age. See for example a classic Eaton et al, American Journal of Medicine 84:739-49, 1988.

I still have some catching up to do in order to reduce my total blood cholesterol (3.6 mmol/l) to the average of hunter-gatherers (3.2 mmol/l). Free-living non-human primates have 2.3-3.5 mmol/l.

I was particularly happy with the blood tests - CRP and peroxides undetectable, virtually no insulin but perfect insulin sensitivity, triglycerides at 42 mmol/L. Everything else was pretty good too - high bone density, low body fat, low blood pressure.

• like x 1

#15 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:35 AM

I guess such lab tests will become more popular as people get more conscious about factors affecting their health. Personally I have found health research on hunter-gatherer cultures pretty fascinating. No atherosclerosis, low blood pressure even at advanced age. See for example a classic Eaton et al, American Journal of Medicine 84:739-49, 1988.

Or were these just the guys that could still outrun lions?

#16 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:37 AM

This is the first I'd heard that I beat any records (and indeed I'm not sure how many people as young as me have even had these tests), but I certainly did pretty well, both in 2002 when I was first tested and in 2006. The tests that are done are very extensive - summarised here:

http://www.kronoscen...er/medical.aspx
http://www.kronoscen...laboratory.aspx

Genetic endowment, as you say, is probably the main thing.

Argh! These 2 links are broken. :(

I wanted to check out some hard data and get a better sense of what these measure:
It is certainly a good thing to occasionally drift from the melancholy realm of poesy and qualitative/subjective disposition.
Am already quantitative in nutritional and dietary matters, just not as much in body signs and measurements.

#17 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

Well I'm not sure if you looked at their current site: http://www.kronoslab...97/Default.aspx

But there is a lot of information on their testing under their 'clinical laboratory' section. You'd have to contact them for more detail, or to take the tests yourself and get your own 'book' of results :)

#18 Brafarality

• 684 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

Well I'm not sure if you looked at their current site: http://www.kronoslab...97/Default.aspx

But there is a lot of information on their testing under their 'clinical laboratory' section. You'd have to contact them for more detail, or to take the tests yourself and get your own 'book' of results :)

Thanks. :)

Checked it out briefly. Immediately siterolled it. A bit broad in purpose/focus, but all research either zones on prolonging or improving life, so the theme, at least, is unified.
Will more thoroughly browse site upon a non-ADD+free moment.

#19 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

Are these tests available in Canada?

The last time I approached a doctor to have tests (forgot what kind) they told me they wouldn't do any tests unless I show up with a problem.

#20 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Impressive Aubrey,
Care to tell us about your diet, medicines if any (Resveratrol? anything else?) and exercise? CR?

#21 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

He does not diet, do CR, or a lot of supplements -- he really likes beer, drinks a lot, every day and even eats fries. He attributes his health to good genetics, also I'd say he is always on the go, has a lot of energy and being quite driven--goes extended times till he actually eats, but that is just supposition. He may have time to expound here, but he may not :) especially since Methuselah's Aging conference at UCLA is going on right now... but some day perhaps.

#22 Methos000

• 144 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

I'll bet Aubrey smokes 2 packs a day as well.
:|o

He does not diet, do CR, or a lot of supplements -- he really likes beer, drinks a lot, every day and even eats fries. He attributes his health to good genetics, also I'd say he is always on the go, has a lot of energy and being quite driven--goes extended times till he actually eats, but that is just supposition. He may have time to expound here, but he may not :) especially since Methuselah's Aging conference at UCLA is going on right now... but some day perhaps.

#23 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:46 AM

Wow that is an extensive list.

#24 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Anyone knows if these tests can be done in Europe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users