- - - - -

CR Mimetics

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 05:18 AM

The company BioMarker Pharmaceuticals, a recent start-up of Saul Kent, founder of the Life Extension Foundation, has used DNA gene chip analysis to compare the gene expression profiles of calorically restricted versus well-fed mice and found that the diabetic treatment drug, metformin, induces similar changes as CR in normal mice.

Link to article..

BioMarker Pharmaceuticals Develops Anti-Aging Therapy

#2 galtsgulch

• 51 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for that citation!

According to the press release: "BioMarker scientists made a major breakthrough by determining that 70% of the age-related changes in gene expression reversed by long-term CR (over two years) are reversed in only two to four weeks after mice are placed on a CR diet. BioMarker used Affymetrix gene chips that measure changes in 12,000 genes in these studies. This discovery established the scientific foundation for the company's proprietary technology platform."

Does anyone here think this means that a person can go on a strict CR diet for only a month and reap the benefits (assuming the subsequent lifestyle is sufficiently healthy so as to avoid age-related illnesses like cancer and heart disease)?

Thanks!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:47 PM

John check this out... - BJK

Day-on, day-off diet boosts health
22:00 28 April 03
NewScientist.com news service

Eating double portions one day and nothing the next delivers the same health benefits to mice as seen in animals whose lifespan has been extended by restricting their calorie intake.

No one is suggesting people adopt such a diet. But the study adds to the evidence that caloric restriction works by activating some kind of protective mechanism, rather than simply being a result of eating less and thus suffering less damage as food is metabolised. If this is the case, there may be ways to switch on the protective mechanism without going on a crazy diet.

Both calorie restriction and intermittent fasting prompt cells in the body to set up defences against stress that also protect against ageing and degenerative diseases, concludes team member Mark Mattson, at the US National Institute on Aging's Gerontology Research Center in Baltimore.

These might be adaptations that benefited people in the past. "A three-meals-a-day diet only occurred recently in human evolution," he says. "Often we were probably forced to go days without food."

But whether such a radical diet would benefit people now is not clear. Mice that start a restricted diet late in life do not always live longer. Furthermore, while occasional one-day fasts are thought to be harmless, they are not necessarily pleasant. "People feel tired, irritable and lethargic," says Alex Johnstone of the Rowett Research Institute in Scotland.

MORE: http://www.newscient...p?id=ns99993668

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:52 PM

Does anyone here think this means that a person can go on a strict CR diet for only a month and reap the benefits (assuming the subsequent lifestyle is sufficiently healthy so as to avoid age-related illnesses like cancer and heart disease)?

I think one can... I think the body kicks into survival mode under CR and the chemicals dispersed throughout the body into each cell has protective effects.. these effects can be gained from intermittent or late life CR... it seems more and more studies confirm this.

#5 galtsgulch

• 51 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 10:26 PM

If one can really get the long-term benefits of CR by only practicing strict calorie restriction for a month (or so), it seems like a lot more people would be willing to sacrifice their appetites for a short period (kind of like a more severe Lent) for a possible 10 - 20% increase in their lifespan. Supplements would probably still be necessary to help avoid diseases.

Edited by John Galt, 29 April 2003 - 10:39 PM.

#6 hughbristic

• Guest Hugh Bristic
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:29 PM

I
f one can really get the long-term benefits of CR by only practicing strict calorie restriction for a month (or so), it seems like a lot more people would be willing to sacrifice their appetites for a short period (kind of like a more severe Lent) for a possible 10 - 20% increase in their lifespan. Supplements would probably still be necessary to help avoid diseases.

I don't think you can safely infer that this is the case. I think the importance of the discovery that the gene expression changes quickly is not that it means that a short exposure to CR will immunize you long-term against aging. Instead, the importance is that it means therapies for treating aging can be tested more quickly. See the quote below from the LE article:

BioMarker's finding that short-term CR rapidly shifts the gene expression profile of mice toward that of longterm CR is a profound paradigm changer. It introduces for the first time the idea that drugs can be rapidly assayed for their ability to mimic the anti-aging, anti-disease, life span-extending effects of long-term CR. Previously, it was thought that the drugs would have to be administered over an animal's lifetime to produce evidence that they can slow or reverse aging. Now, with the use of BioMarker's proprietary technology, it is possible to screen for anti-aging drugs in a matter of weeks.

I would think the life span-extending effects of CR would cease when you stopped the diet.

Hugh

#7 hughbristic

• Guest Hugh Bristic
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:31 PM

Why didn't my use of the "Quotes" tag work?

Hugh

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 07:26 PM

I'm not sure exactly... but placing a space between the code and the text seemed to work. Strange.

#9 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 July 2003 - 08:38 PM

Some questions about CR...

First, is it beneficial to go on CR in your twenties, or would it make no difference if you waited till say, 30?

Okay, let me ellaborate a little bit before I ask my other two questions.

I have always been thin. When I was 19 years old I was 5'10", 130 Lbs. Gradually over the past few years my metabolism has slowed down slightly and I have filled out a little. I am now 5'10", 155 Lbs.

I am not an unhealthy person. I am not a vegitarian, but I don't eat red meat. MickeyD's makes me physically sick, as does most fast food. My "being bad" food is 2 chicken nuggets from Wendy's with a medium coke. Usually I am pretty healthy about eating and I exercise (although I am not a lab rat running in place an hour every day). Generally I'll shoot some hoops or play tennis.

I think this kind of body maintenance is normal. However, one thing I always hated when I was younger was being really thin-- skinny thin. I was releaved when I started to put on a few pounds.

Now I read some guys CR game plan online and he's going on and on about how great it is. How he was 5'8" and dropped from a 160 to 120 Lbs by being on CR. He was actually very proud of this fact. Well I don't want to be 5'10" 130 Lbs! What's the point of getting an extra 10 years when you have to spend your entire life as a skinny whimp?

So my other two questions are this...

2) If I did a 25 or 30% restriction instead of a 55% would I still see some return for my investment?

3) When the new drugs become available (and I think we can all agree that this is just a matter of a few years) that mimick CR will they have the same effect on body weight?

Thanks
Don

#10 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 04:24 AM

Hi Kissinger,

It has been noted that mutational errors in germ line cells begin to occur in a male's early 20's and many visible age related changes can be detected by mid to late 20's. CR is definitely a regimen that takes a different mind set and a person can reprogram themselves to accept the fact that skinny is good when it comes to CR. However, at this point, I can't do it either... That's why I was encouraged to read about how fasting every OTHER day might be even BETTER for you than a strict CR regimen. It was briefly discussed in the thread...

Fasting Every Other Day

My hope, ( and I remember BJ concurring ) is that drugs will be able to give us the benefits of CR without the starving part... or the getting skinny either..

Metformin is a drug used to treat diabetes that seems to generate the same genetic expression profile as CR but I think it has a liver toxicity side effect in rare cases which limits is usefulness. It was discussed in an article on LEF..

What might be even more interesting is that the gene expression profile of long-lived roundworm mutants also seems to paralell CR restricted organisms. The mutation is in a single gene that codes for a protein that is highly conserved in all organisms. It isn't surprising that it is part of the insulin/IGF-1 pathway and is highly involved in how the body responds to energy levels within the environment. The pharmaceutical company, Elixir Pharmaceuticals is working on this...

Currently CR is an all or nothing process that is turned on or off by the presence of calories. You can get some of the benefits of CR on a moderate CR regime.. say 25% decrease in calories. It is composed of a number of processes that get turned on and off by this single switch. It is my guess that as the pathways become more clear and the protein players apparent, there will be a variety of drugs which will influence the different pathways and will probably have life-extending effects without having the loss in mass that comes with STARVING... actually.. being skinny in CR is a mark of enhanced protein synthesis and degradation, a much more rapid turnover of components that doesn't allow a lot of time for the degeneration into non-functioning or dangerous products. Many people on CR also exercise and their strength and stamina are quite remarkable ... so maybe WE need a little reprogramming... :) Now where did I put that cream cheese bagel?

#11 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 July 2003 - 03:54 AM

I'm glad I am not the only one concerned about extreme weight loss. Also, the different graphs you had for CR on your personal website were useful.

The eating every other day CR technique sounds promising since this is something I think I could do. I guess there is not enough info on it yet, but if studies come out showing it to have the same effect I would go on it.

#12 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 09:30 PM

Here's a link to the article containing the graphs Kissinger referred to. The are found on the website of Ian Goddard, a active member of the sci.life-extension newsgroup on Google.

http://iangoddard.net/cr.htm

#13 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 05:23 AM

Thought this information also belonged here as well as in the News Forum
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image
To Red Wine, Long Life
Molecules mimic life extension seen in low-calorie diets

August 26, 2003
http://www.newsday.c...ealth-headlines

Researchers have known for years that cutting calories can prolong life in everything from yeast cells to mammals. But an easier way to live longer may be as simple as turning a corkscrew.

Molecules found in red wine, peanuts and other products of the plant world have for the first time been shown to mimic the life-extending effects of a spartan diet, a finding that could help researchers develop drugs that lengthen life and prevent or treat aging-related diseases.

Researchers said that of all the compounds tested, the one that extended the life span of yeast cells the most - up to 80 percent - was resveratrol, an ingredient in red wine

David Sinclair, an assistant professor of pathology at Harvard Medical School and co-author of the study, said he and his fellow researchers hope the molecules will prove to prolong life not just in yeast but in multicellular organisms like worms, fruit flies and, perhaps, humans.

Sinclair, whose study appeared in Sunday's advance online edition of the journal Nature, said tests on worms and flies were already yielding "encouraging" results and similar trials were already being planned in mice.

Scientists have known for decades that putting organisms on a calorie-restricted diet dramatically reduces the incidence of age-related illnesses such as cancer, osteoporosis and heart disease, and a low-calorie diet has been shown to increase life span in a range of animals, including yeast, rats and other mammals.

Sinclair and his collaborators say the current work appears to use the same biochemical pathway involved in calorie restriction.

The molecules that were shown to extend life in yeast belong to a family of compounds known as polyphenols. These include resveratrol, which is already thought to make red wine healthy in moderate amounts.

"We think we've found something that chemically mimics calorie restriction," said molecular biologist Konrad Howitz, who co-wrote the study with Sinclair.

Some scientists expressed skepticism that the life-extending benefits could be transferred to humans. "It's great if you're a yeast. But it's a big leap from a yeast cell to a human," said Merck researcher Mark Lane, who studies aging in monkeys.

"It's intriguing. But will it work in people? We don't know," said David Finkelstein, a program manager at the National Institute on Aging, which funded Sinclair's study.

Lane, who is working on an elaborate study of the diet regimen's effect on 120 rhesus monkeys, said that calorie restriction may not work by the same pathways in yeast and more complex animals: "Humans don't die of the same things that yeast do."

Even if Sinclair's results can be applied to humans, that payoff is probably decades away, Lane said.

But Howitz, who works for BIOMOL, a biotechnology company in suburban Philadelphia, disagreed, arguing that yeast's "longevity pathway" is similar to that of multicellular organisms. This resemblance probably extends to humans, he said. "Yeast is closer to humans than most people realize," he said.

The study is part of a new trend in aging research. In recent years, a small group of scientists have turned away from looking for the cause of aging and focused instead on finding ways to slow the process.

In the 1990s, research showed that single genes can control how fast organisms age. Because of that, scientists have been racing to find ways of manipulating those genes.

Sinclair and his team have been looking for what he calls the Holy Grail of aging research: molecules that activate the enzymes that in turn influence the genes that regulate aging.

Is the resveratrol in red wine an answer?

Finkelstein, for one, said that less drastic life-extension methods exist.

"You want to live a long life? Eat a healthy diet, keep active, exercise your mind," he said. "Don't smoke. And don't get run over by a car. We know for sure that all of those things work.

"Would the National Institute on Aging recommend you drink red wine every day? The answer is 'no,'" he said. "If you were to add a glass of red wine every day without changing your caloric intake, you're going to gain weight. And we know - we know - that if you gain weight that's going to be harmful while this 'benefit' is a benefit that may or may not occur."

#14 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 04:34 AM

Link: http://www.biomedcen...ews/20030925/03
Date: 09-25-03
Author: Andrea Rinaldi
Source: The Scientist
Title: Diabetes and cancer: an unexpected linkAntidiabetes drugs may also help in the treatment of some forms of cancer

Diabetes and cancer: an unexpected linkAntidiabetes drugs may also help in the treatment of some forms of cancer By Andrea Rinaldi

An intriguing study in the September 24 Journal of Biology—published by BioMed Central, a sister company of The Scientist—suggests there could be a previously unrecognized anticancer benefit from treatment with some common antidiabetic drugs. Simon A. Hawley and colleagues at the University of Dundee show how the tumor suppressor protein kinase LKB1 is linked to AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK), the target enzyme for several drugs commonly used to treat type 2 diabetes (Journal of Biology, 2:28, September 24, 2003).

AMPK acts as a "metabolic master switch," reducing glucose levels and inhibiting biosynthetic pathways and cell proliferation. A lack of, or a mutation in, the LKB1 gene gives rise to Peutz-Jeghers syndrome, an autosomal dominant human disorder in which the risk of developing malignant tumors in some tissues is 15-fold higher than normal. Both the activation pattern of AMPK and the LKB1 substrate have been poorly understood, but recent observations suggest that the latter is associated with a group of accessory proteins known as STRADá/â and MO25á/â, which increase the kinase activity of LKB1.

Hawley et al. purified two forms of AMPK from rat liver and observed that both fractions contained LKB1, STRADá, and MO25á and that the AMPK activity could be immunoprecipitated using anti-LKB1 antibodies. Recombinant LKB1–STRADá/â –MO25á/â complexes fully activated AMPK in cell-free assays, providing further support for the idea that the link between AMPK and LKB1 has a functional background. In addition, the authors demonstrated that LKB1-mediated activation of AMPK also takes place in vivo in HEK-293T cells, but not in HeLa cells (which don't express LKB1 and therefore represents a natural knockout cell line). In HeLa cells, activation was achieved by stably expressing recombinant LKB1. This suggests that the tumor-suppressing properties of LKB1 may depend on its ability to activate AMPK.

"Our findings provide strong evidence that LKB1–STRAD–MO25 complexes represent the major upstream kinases acting on AMPK, although they do not rule out the possibility that the complex might contain additional components," conclude the authors.

Having established the LKB1–AMPK connection, Hawley et al. attempted to verify if antidiabetic drugs targeting AMPK by increasing its enzymatic activity could be affected by LKB1 in vivo. They observed that metformin—the most widely used diabetes drug in the world—could not activate AMPK in HeLa cells, presumably since they lack LKB1, and that expression of recombinant LKB1 restored the ability of HeLa cells to respond to the drug. The authors speculate that metformin, and possibly other diabetes drugs, may work by directly activating LKB1, which in turn activates AMPK, leading to glucose sequestration—with immediate benefits for those with diabetes—and to inhibition of cell growth and division, which ultimately prevent tumor development and proliferation.

Links for this article
S.A. Hawley et al., "Complexes between the LKBI tumor suppressor, STRADá/â and MO25á/â are upstream kinases in the AMP-activated protein kinase cascade," Journal of Biology, 2:28, September 24, 2003.
http://jbiol.com/content/2/4/28

University of Dundee
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/

A. Hemminki, "The molecular basis and clinical aspects of Peutz-Jeghers syndrome," Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, 55:735-750, May 1999.
[PubMed Abstract]

J. Boudeau et al., "MO25á/â interact with STRADá/â enhancing their ability to bind, activate and localise LKB1 in the cytoplasm," European Molecular Biology Organization Journal, 22:5102-5114, October 1, 2003.
http://emboj.oupjournals.org/

#15 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:48 PM

Link: http://www.threshold...dProduct2DG.htm

It will be interesting to see how these trials using 2DG for cancer turns out. Threshold Pharamceuticals has just filed to go public.

http://www.reuters.c...storyID=4795229

Posted Image
Investigational Drugs

2-Deoxyglucose (2DG)
2DG, our product candidate for the treatment of solid tumors, is in a Phase 1 trial. 2DG is an orally administered small molecule that employs Metabolic Targeting to treat solid tumors by directly inhibiting glycolysis. Because tumor cells in general, and those in hypoxic zones in particular, are dependent on glycolysis for survival, tumor cells are particularly sensitive to the effect of 2DG. This compound is a synthetic glucose analog that distributes selectively to tumor tissue because of metabolic changes related to increased glucose consumption. Because tumor cells exhibit increased levels of glucose transport proteins, these cells actively transport 2DG into the cells. Once inside the cell, 2DG interferes with cellular mechanisms for generating energy by competing with glucose for key enzymes in glycolysis. The in vivo efficacy of 2DG has been studied in mouse and rat models of sarcomas, adenocarcinomas, leukemias, melanomas and bladder, colon and breast tumors. In particular, treatment with 2DG, alone and in combination with other chemotherapy, resulted in increased lifespan or a reduction in tumor growth in many of these models.

We are conducting a Phase 1 trial of daily 2DG as a single agent and in combination with Taxotere to evaluate the safety, pharmacokinetics and maximum tolerated dose in patients with solid tumors. We plan to also conduct a Phase 1 trial of single doses of 2DG to evaluate its effect on prostate metabolism. We are developing 2DG based on its specificity for targeting tumor cells and extensive human safety data, as well as recently demonstrated animal efficacy that we and our collaborators at the University of Miami published in Cancer Research in January 2004.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 02:47 AM

Link: http://www.eurekaler...t-ref060204.php

This is an amazing dovetail with the previous post I made on interfering with insulin signaling in fat cells leading to longer lifespans in flies and offers an explanation for caloric restriction. It also is highlighting the importance of the FOXO, Sirt1 combination in regulating energy metabolism and growth and reproduction.

Public release date: 2-Jun-2004
brehm@mit.edu
617-253-2704
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Researchers establish first molecular link between eating and aging
Forget the drastic reduction in carbs and calories called for by diet dictators. The day when people can eat their favorite foods, stay thin and live to be 120 without getting age-induced diabetes or cancer may be nearer than we think. Researchers at MIT believe they've found the key to a long, lean, healthy life in a single protein that controls whether a mammal stores fat or sheds it. The work could lead to drugs that mimic that protein, allowing human beings to get the longer lifespan and other benefits of extreme caloric reduction without the negative side effects, said MIT Professor of Biology Leonard Guarente.

Guarente and other scientists have known for decades that controlled famine can extend the lifespan of mammals by as much as 50 percent and that those long-lived, lean mammals don't get the diseases of old age.

But just how a vastly reduced caloric intake achieves that feat has been a mystery begging for a solution--until now.

"For the first time, this study gives us a glimpse of how calorie restriction works at the molecular level. And it will ultimately lead to health benefits in people," said Guarente, who has been studying the aging process in yeast, roundworms and mice for more than a decade.

A mammal generally burns the protein and carbohydrates in its food immediately; it stores fat in special cells called white adipose tissue (WAT). When it reduces its caloric intake, the WAT stops storing fat and begins releasing it for metabolism.

The paper's authors learned that fat is released from or metabolized by the body, rather than stored, when the Sirt1 protein senses short-term famine and turns off the receptors that normally keep fat stored in fat cells. Thus fat cells shed their fat.

They write that this happens because the "Sirt1 protein activates a critical component of calorie restriction in mammals; that is, fat mobilization in white adipocytes. Upon food withdrawal the Sirt1 protein binds to and represses the genes that are controlled by PPAR-gamma, the fat regulator," preventing fat from being stored in the body.

"The ability of fat cells to sense famine [or short-term hunger] and release the fat is regulated by this gene," said Guarente. "We like to think this applies to people as well as mice, but we don't know for sure. If we could make this happen in people, it wouldn't just make them live longer; it might also help prevent diseases of aging, like cancer, diabetes and heart disease."

Because WAT also makes hormones, especially leptin which controls satiety, Guarente speculates that by putting hormones into the bloodstream, fat cells also tell the body how fast to age.

"Conversely, fewer fat cells tell the body that it's time to hunker down for survival. This means that evolutionarily speaking, fat plays a very important role," he said.

We know already fat or lack of it has vast implications in the lives of people, but putting them on an austere diet just isn't feasible.

"It's easy to put rodents on a spartan diet. With people it's not so easy; they don't want to diet," said Guarente.

In fact, the side effects in a human being whose diet was cut by about 50 percent--down to 1,000 to 1,200 calories a day, the reduction necessary to get the 50 percent extension in the lifespan--would create a very lean, cold, unhappy person with no sex drive. "It would be like eating every other day," says Guarente.

Unless, that is, you could find a way to mimic the molecular effect of famine without the actual dieting.

"If we could make a drug that would bind to Sirt1 and fool the body into thinking that it needed to release that fat, then maybe people could get the benefits of calorie restriction without the side effects," he said, describing a sort of fountain-of-youth drug that he hopes to create. [can you say Resveratrol? - KP]

How would such a drug work? Would it require vigorous exercise? Might there be additional complications in humans, such as reduced resistance to disease?

"Evolutionarily, you would think it would make humans more resistant to infectious disease," Guarente said. "But you never know." He suspects that vigorous exercise also will be required. The next step in the process, he added, is to determine if an increase in Sirt1 in the body leads to a higher rate of metabolism.

This research was funded by the National Institutes of Health.

###

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users