Living near a factory

flavour oils food industry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rosanna

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:48 PM

Hi I'd love to get your thoughts, I don't really have anyone to ask who thinks the same way about health as I do.

I've been given a chance to move to a very rural place.  I'm currently suffering chronic stress where I am.  However I was surprised to see 2 industrial chimneys near the new property, about 200 metres away at a guess.  They are well hidden, it is only one factory and the rest of the environment for miles in all directions is rural with lots of fresh air.  

I talked to some of the locals and they said those chimneys are part of a factory that creates natural flavour oils for the food industry.= (citrus, vanilla, etc).  They said you don't get any bad smell, only nice smells, like vanilla, soup smells, etc and only occasionally.  When I looked again I can see these are not huge tall industrial chimneys, they are small, not much taller than a 3 storey house. I think it was just a surprise to see them so close as I was thinking of giant incinerators, but this is not anything like that.

What are the thoughts of those on the forum about this?  Chronic noise stress where I'm living currently, or go there, where it's a beautiful rural environment, but with this small factory down the road?  It is close.  Most people that I've asked away from this forum feel there's no problem.  So interested what people here think.  Thanks

#2 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:28 AM

While environmental racism is a real issue, as well as rural toxic sites, i.e. mine tailings etc. it doesn't sound like that's your concern here.

The fact that what sounds like a cottage level industry is helping to keep a rural community economically viable sounds generally good.

Did you notice it when you were exploring whether to move there?

Oleo esters in the air could be a concern but generally in larger concentrations. Is it quiet and pastoral for the most part?

Are you drinking well water or municipal supplied treated water?

Edited by Lazarus Long, 04 February 2021 - 01:29 AM.

• like x 1

#3 Rosanna

• Topic Starter
  • 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2021 - 03:12 PM

Thanks Lazarus, I'm in the UK, I would be drinking the normal tap water supplied here.  The area is beautiful, with countryside for miles around and it would be peaceful and quiet, very little stress.  The locals told me that the factory is a part of the community and even the environmentally aware of them don't seem to be worried.  I guess on balance I'd be better off there.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users