Sexual anhedonia caused by pyridoxine?

pyridoxine sexual anhedonia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Batfink

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:53 PM

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated please guys. I started to suffer from pleasureless orgasms a couple of months ago as well as general anhedonia, although the non sexual anhedonia has been going on for longer. What makes this a bit more complicated is the fact that i am suffering from a mildish case of post accutane syndrome (low libido), so at first i just put it down to another side effect from the accutane.

I took the accutane 4 years ago and in all that time have not suffered from pleasureless orgasms up until recently so i am ruling out accutane as the cause.

Now apparently pyridoxine toxicity does cause pleasureless orgasms and i have been taking it for the last two years. I take 50 ish mg give or take of pure pyridoxine powder every night on an empty stomach before i go to bed, apparently this is not enough to cause toxicity but i cant help but think this must have something to do with it. Accutane affects serotonin receptors and dopamine i think so maybe this has left me vulnerable? What do you think?

#2 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 01:30 PM

If pyridoxine was responsible, maybe you could help recovery by taking completely different vitamins, notably vitamin B12, I found they are always kind of opposite or complementary. Since if one googles the issue you are talking about, wikipedia (under Sexual anhedonia) says cessation of pyridoxine (vitamin B6) should resolve the issue. There are also basics to prevent or treat sensory neuropathy, which it says is the cause, like maybe Omega 3 or other particular vitamins (vitamin B1, E).
I really wonder if pyridoxine (vitamin B6) is the cause.

Edited by DaveX, 14 April 2021 - 01:33 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Batfink

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:34 AM

I was considering b12 to aid recovery but to be honest Im wary of taking anything at the moment until i get to the bottom of this. It seems too much of a coincidence that Ive been taking a substantial dose of b6 for a couple of years and this is a known side effect, although i cant seem to find any reports online from anyone that has had the same problem caused by it.
Ive stopped taking it now and hopefully that will be enough to reverse it.

#4 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:22 PM

Orgasm is not necessrily the same process as that which is involved in contact anhedonia, and the main neurotransmitter involved in it seems to be Oxytocin. But it's hard to find how to (permanently) regulate the expression of this, let alone to do so.

However here is some mention of it:

The ERβ ligand 5α-androstane, 3β,17β-diol (3β-diol) regulates hypothalamic oxytocin (Oxt) gene expression

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/22434086/

This also contains an interesting quote, though I doubt it's a primary mechanism (there is always lots of interplay between things):

Stimulation of 5-HT2A+2C receptors increased AVP mRNA in the PVN but not in the supraoptic nucleus (SON), whereas the level of oxytocin (OT) mRNA was increased both in the SON and the PVN and this effect was in addition mediated via 5-HT1A+1B receptors.

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/18208678/

Edited by DaveX, 20 April 2021 - 03:37 PM.

#5 frederickson

• 281 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:39 PM

could anyone provide more detail on vitamin B6 influence on sexual/orgasmic anhedonia? i have suffered from many years of related issues (largely mental, but likely not entirely) and take reasonably high doses of vitamin B6. thanks.

#6 Batfink

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:40 AM

Good news. I stopped taking b6 and after about a week the sexual anhedonia has disappeared. I now have full sensation and pleasurable orgasms again.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Batfink

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

could anyone provide more detail on vitamin B6 influence on sexual/orgasmic anhedonia? i have suffered from many years of related issues (largely mental, but likely not entirely) and take reasonably high doses of vitamin B6. thanks.

Quit the b6. I personally wont ever touch the stuff again, that was a scary experience that I dont want repeated.

Have a read of this study, it doesnt mention the sexual side effects but it does say that complaints are recorded with as little as 0.5mg daily.
https://www.scienced...30013X?via=ihub

Apparently b6 doesnt get urinated out if you take too much so it builds up. If you are taking a reasonably high dose then I would be willing to bet that its the cause of your sexual anhedonia. Good luck.

Edited by Batfink, 22 April 2021 - 11:49 AM.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pyridoxine, sexual anhedonia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users