LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Other ways of supplementing nutrients

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:22 PM

Any other forms of supplements you can recommend. I like knowing other ways of supplementing nutrients besides the standard or obvious ways. One example is to use salts containing potassium instead of the supplements, which are limited to 99 mg. Potassium salt can be a higher dose than the potassium supplements. They also have magnesium salts too. Epsom salts is good to soak in for both the magnesium and the sulfur content.

Iodine can be applied to the skin as a way of supplementing it and to test for an iodine deficiency.

I also like taking colostrum for a zinc supplement on an empty stomach. There are many zinc supplements that should never be taken on an empty stomach.

I also use a copper bracelet because I can be prone to low copper levels. I do think these bracelets can chelate metals when you sweat, which if left on your skin will be absorbed. Cosmetics companies make copper creams. Copper is hard to stomach because it causes nausea.

There is a zinc cream for zits, which I have never tried. One problem is that you can’t gauge how much of a dose you get with the creams usually and then applying a precise amount is not that easy to do. So the exact dose is not something you can get a handle on.

I bought this carpal tunnel cream for the b6 content. I don’t think it contains much b6. I sometimes would like b6 in my system when I first get up but don't want to take anything on an empty stomach and can't grap breakfast right away; so having some other form is helpful in some situations.

I do like the sublingual form of p-5-p (active form of b6) and can feel that hitting my brain shortly after I put it in my mouth. I don’t like the coloring or the taste but the sublingual form seems to work quickly for me. Source Naturals has some other b vitamins in a sublingual form too. I have the riboflavin one, but I think they have b3 available too.

There is magnesium oil that someone said is supposed to be tacky on the skin. Actually the magnesium oxide comes in an oil based product and a gel, and is used in treating problems from playing sports. I think the gel might be interesting to try. Magnesium can literally be a pain in the butt in the way it increase parastolic contractions in your GI tract. So bypassing the GI tract is a good option when it comes to magnesium.

Sometimes if you are creative you can use some products to supplement nutrients, which can help when you take a lot of supplements in pill form. Anyone have any other ideas for supplementing nutrients in ways that may not be obvious but still do the job.

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:21 PM

This may be fairly known, but green tea, milk thistle, and other supplements can be taken orally to get the benefit of it being topically applied. Some such as curcumin and carnosine would have to be taken at high doses orally before benefit is even possible.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

Very interesting thead ;)

B12 is often used in lozenges to be dissolved undertongue (I do this with the one i take).
Transdermal application is a wonderful thing... molecular weight of the substance and stability in solution/cream are the most important things to keep in mind. Peptides for istance do not work, while hormones like DHEA do (and better than orally).

• Lurker

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

Actually I just came across a Vitamin K Cream for bruises and varicose veins. Actually one site says this stuff is supposed to help with dark under eye circles.

I have a zinc spray for the throat when you are getting a cold. I have also used zinc lozenges.

Amino Acid Cream for cervical healing??? (I think this must be by prescription only.)

I have read that the copper creams which contain something called GHK copper peptide are supposed to be superior. Copper is a real stomach turner for me, so avoiding the GI tract can help me avoid problems associated with copper like abdominal bloating and some other stuff.

Vitamin C Patch is suppsed to work as an oxygen barrier which keeps the vitamin C stable. Osmotics Cosmeceuticals makes this and claims it reduces wrinkles. I have heard of a vitamin C cream for skin care purposes and not for nutritional needs. Lots of creams contain nutrients but not sure how much nutritional value they can actually claim though.

Thiamine in a patch as an insect repellent. Repel 24seven contains 75 mg. of thiamine. This sounds intersting.

L-Arginne Cream for complications of diabetes. Actually cream form may help with hemorroids and may be used as an libido booster.

Vitamin Gum for kids??? Peelu Vitamin C Gum.

Nothing that is inhaled though.

#5 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:44 PM

For what purposes are you talking about in regards to transdermal applications?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:42 PM

I would like you to try and be a little more scientific orthomolecular. This is a scientific community.

One of the major drawbacks of dietary supplementation is their poor solubility, instability and low bioavailability. We all know the story of resveratrol. It's an aamazing compounds and has the potential to promote longevity but it is poorly absorbed and quickly glucuronidated by the liver into its inactive conjugates.

Hence we are trying out best to develop novel drug delivery systems (NDDS) to help delivery antioxidants and neutraceuticals effectively by the oral route. We are also starting to see topical applicators enter the marketplace as well. For now though, the oral route is still a viable means in which we can deliver our supplements. Alot of compounds are being chemically modified, coupled with other compounds to increase bioavailability, packed into liposomes, microparticles, nanoparticles and infused into gel-based systems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users