- - - - -

Do Supplements Work?

aging supplements

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonFlorida

• 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:01 PM

For 50 or so years, I have countless times read of studies that show that one supplement or another extends lifespan.  Usually, when I check back a decade or two later, I do not see people talking about it anymore.  Name a supplement which has been shown in not merely a couple of studies, but several studies, to extend lifespan.  Tests have consistently shown that the basic supplements - vitamins and minerals -- do not, unless you're comparing with actual deficiencies. 

I'm not asserting that no supplement fits this description.  I just can't think of any for which multiple studies have nearly always shown a lifespan increase (not merely health span).

#2 johnhemming

• 311 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:33 PM

I think you are right to consider the issue in terms of deficiencies.  It is, however, quite difficult to study lifespan increases for humans.  I also think there are things that can improve both health and lifespan such as melatonin.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 BrandonFlorida

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:52 PM

I have also heard of many supplements that are alleged to increase longevity and am taking most of them.  However, my question was specifically about supplements which have consistently been shown to do so in multiple, not just one or two, studies.  Are there any?

Edited by BrandonFlorida, 17 March 2022 - 04:53 PM.

#4 BrandonFlorida

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 10:58 PM

Has anyone heard of a single supplement for which there is real evidence from multiple studies that it extends life span?  Going, going,....

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:25 PM

I can't recall anything off the top of my head, but I don't think the issue has been studied in depth. I think there might be some data found in large long-term cohorts (like Framingham). Some of those people have had to been taking some sort-of supplements that might lead to longer life.

I think there have been good enough animal studies to predict a minor increase in human lifespan with the same supplements. However, I doubt any of them would beat fasting, good nutrition, and exercise. Those three things have been routinely and extensively linked with much improved health into old age.

There are certainly no supplements that have any proven rejuvenation effect. It seems most of the supplements on the market only slow some aspects of aging to a small degree.

#6 BrandonFlorida

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 01:58 AM

I've been taking supplements since about 1966 when I was a child.  I was lucky enough to grow up near New York City where more supplements were available than in most other places.  At present, my regimen consists of about 35 supplements (I haven't counted).  This has been built up slowly over time involving considerable personal study. 

I have recently seen that multiple studies show that taking a multiple vitamin does not increase lifespan, nor is it helpful with any disease for which they have checked, barring actual deficiencies.  This is tremendously disappointing to me.  I had always assumed that the average person was in a state of sub-clinical malnutrition and that over time it made a difference.  Moreover, I have also seen recent studies which show that, generally speaking, antioxidants do not extend lifespan.  The free radical theory of aging has been a big part of my strategy.  Finally, new testing shows that resveratrol doesn't activate SIRT1 and that it wouldn't matter if it did, because SIRT1 is unrelated to aging.  Check Dr. Brad Stanfield's YouTube videos for the resveratrol bit.  Much of the rationale for my method of trying to slow down my aging is now gone, making me wonder which of the things I take might help me. 

It seems like you see a paper or two asserting something about a longevity supplement, and that when you check back later, no one is talking about it anymore and they're on to some new one.

Edited by BrandonFlorida, 23 March 2022 - 02:00 AM.

#7 johnhemming

• 311 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 07:10 AM

I think a lot of the research in this area is quite confused.  I personally keep detailed records of what I take and what the outcomes are.  I am quite clear what the effects are and am happy that it is worthwhile taking certain things and doing certain things.   I am currently using blood bio markers as a key measurement for determining progress and my health (identified as a biological age) according to a number of schemes (levine, aging.io) is improving.

Hence I have objective evidence that it works for me.

#8 BrandonFlorida

• Topic Starter
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 11:38 AM

Would you care to share anything you're taking that seems to work for you?

#9 johnhemming

• 311 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 11:41 AM

I have done some videos about various things.

https://www.youtube.com/johnhemming

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 10:32 AM

Maybe we have to look more at the chow that the animals in the studies get. 

Humans usually eat a large variety of food, but animals in a lab maybe dont. What if many molecules are actually essential for our health and part of our food  - but not part of the animal chow. Then any experiment with these substances would show an increase of health in the lab, but would be of little value for humans.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging, supplements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users