• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Kidney Function: What's Optimal For Health (And Potentially, Longevity)?

blood testing diet tracking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Lustgarten

• 343 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2022 - 12:19 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=k6Jqn_y1DV0

Attached Files

#2 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2022 - 05:34 PM

Thank you Michael, interesting as habit with your posts!

I guess the eGFR is based on the creatinine 2021 formula right? There were changes last year. You might also consider in future cystatin-c and cystatin-c/creatinine estimators:

https://www.kidney.o.../gfr_calculator

I guess this does not change the content pf your post.

Attached File  egfr formulas.jpg   41.85KB   0 downloads

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2022 - 08:07 PM

Thank you Michael, interesting as habit with your posts!

I guess the eGFR is based on the creatinine 2021 formula right? There were changes last year. You might also consider in future cystatin-c and cystatin-c/creatinine estimators:

https://www.kidney.o.../gfr_calculator

I guess this does not change the content pf your post.

attachicon.gif egfr formulas.jpg

Thanks albedo. Cystatin C has merit as a biomarker of kidney function, as creatinine-derived eGFR can suffer from muscle-mass losses during aging (creatinine is proportional to muscle mass).

• Agree x 1

#4 albedo

• 2,063 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2022 - 12:28 PM

Thanks albedo. Cystatin C has merit as a biomarker of kidney function, as creatinine-derived eGFR can suffer from muscle-mass losses during aging (creatinine is proportional to muscle mass).

Absolutely!

In my case, while I succeed to keep the creatinine trending down (eGFR-creatine going up), the cystatin-c is trending up (eGFR-cystatin-c trending down) with age.

These are what they are: estimations and I guess a real creatinine clearance test should maybe be done.

When I combine all eGFR estimators I know about (7 different formulas) there is a trend of the average eGFR upward which is good.

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Michael Lustgarten

• Topic Starter
  • 343 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2022 - 11:32 AM

Absolutely!

In my case, while I succeed to keep the creatinine trending down (eGFR-creatine going up), the cystatin-c is trending up (eGFR-cystatin-c trending down) with age.

These are what they are: estimations and I guess a real creatinine clearance test should maybe be done.

When I combine all eGFR estimators I know about (7 different formulas) there is a trend of the average eGFR upward which is good.

Without the creatinine clearance measurement, when kidney function declines, BUN and uric acid increase, as they're cleared less from the blood. To account for that, I also track those biomarkers.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blood testing, diet tracking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users