• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#91 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 08:52 PM

http://sportsillustr...e/731105lg.html

In 1973 ND beat USC's Anthony Davis, Lynn Swann and Pat Haden 23-14

ND achieved a 10-0 regular season record and then beat Alabama 24-23 in the Sugar Bowl to win the 1973 National Championship.

#92 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 11:27 PM

George Izo played quarterback for Notre Dame from 1957-1959

Izo set the ND record for the the most passing yards per attempt (minimum of 20 attempts). In 1958, Izo in 26 passing attempts gained 332 yards vs.Pittsburgh.

Izo shares the passing record with John Huarte for most passing yards per completion during his career at ND. The record is 17.3 yards per completion.

Izo was the first round draft pick for the Saint Louis Cardinals in 1960.

Later as a pro for the Washington Redskins, Izo tied an all-time NFL record for the longest pass completion by completing a pass for a 99 yard touchdown to Bobby Mitchell.

http://www.headlinesports.net/auto.htm

#93 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 12:05 AM

http://heismanmemori...years/1964.html

JOHN HUARTE

NOTRE DAME BACK

The grim-jawed side-arm passer led Notre Dame to a brilliant season of nine victories in 10 games.

Although he played only five minutes as a sophomore and 45 minutes as a junior, he established nine Notre Dame records and tied another. He completed 114 of 205 passes for in his senior year. He was the sixth Notre Dame player to win the Heisman Trophy.

After graduation John played ten years of pro football, eight in the NFL and two with Memphis of the WFL.

He is president and owner of fourteen tile and marble distribution stores in California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. His companies import marble, granite and tile for commercial and residential use. His companies import marble and granite for commercial and residential use. He is married to the former Eileen Devine of New York City and they have five children and two grandsons.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#94 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 12:43 AM

Notre Dame returns to glory in 1964 under Ara Parseghian

Essentially the same group of players that were 2-7 in 1963, compiled a 9-1 record in 1964.

ND's hope of winning the National Championship ended when it lost its last game of the season to USC 20-17.

With less than two minutes left in the game, USC's Craig Fetig completed a 15 yard TD pass to Rod Sherman for the winning score.

http://sportsillustr...e/641102lg.html

#95 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 01:00 AM

http://www.pigskinpo...of_all_time.htm

Ara Parseghian - Miami (OH), Northwestern, Notre Dame

Ara Parseghian, like many great coaches, got his start at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio where he became the freshman coach under Woody Hayes in 1950. The following year, Parseghian would replace Hayes who took the job at Ohio State. Parseghian was just 28-years-old at the time.

Parseghian was an intense, no-nonsense kind of coach. He brought in a very demanding and hands-on approach to guide his teams, which were always known for sharing his enthusiasm towards winning.

Before Parseghian took over, no Miami team had ever defeated a Big Ten foe. That changed in 1954 when Parseghian's undefeated squad topped Indiana. And in 1955, Miami opened the season with a win over Northwestern and Miami was suddenly known as the "giant-killer" of the Midwest.

Northwestern hired Parseghian after the 1955 season ended with Parseghian's career record at Miami an impressive 39-6-1. Parseghian took over a team that didn't win a single game in 1955 and had won just seven games in the previous four years.

Parseghian later admitted that he didn't realize the tough situation he'd gotten himself into at Northwestern, but still he found a way to build a solid foundation there. Parseghian rebuilt the Wildcats from scratch and after a winless effort in 1957, his 1958 team opened the season with four straight wins including victories over Ohio State and Michigan and finished the year at 5-4. He then rattled off a string of successful seasons, which included four straight wins over Notre Dame between 1959 and 1962.

Notre Dame hired Parseghian in 1964. After a 2-7 record in 1963, Parseghian turned around the Irish quickly with a 9-1 finish in his first season. It seemed like almost overnight, Notre Dame Football was back.

In 1966, Parseghian's third season at Notre Dame, the Irish won a National Championship with a 9-0-1 season. The tie of course coming against Michigan State in "The Game of the Century."

While Parseghian continued to achieve plenty of success at Notre Dame over the next few seasons, his 1966 National Title was often criticized due to the tie against Michigan State. In 1973, Parseghian quieted his critics with an undefeated National Championship season, which he capped off in the Sugar Bowl with an exciting 24-23 victory over previously-unbeaten Alabama.

Parseghian retired in 1975 with a career record of 170-58-6 and a 95-17-4 record at Notre Dame.

© 2000-2002 The Pigskin Post and SmashMouth Media®

#96 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 10:46 PM

http://www.irishlege...roducts/ara.htm

Notre Dame coaching great Ara Parseghian is shown in his trademark sideline intensity.

#97 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 05:21 AM

USC currently has 5 Heisman Award Winners

http://www.herff-jon...ard/heisman.htm

1965 Mike Garrett USC HB

1968 O.J. Simpson USC HB

1979 Charles White USC HB

1981 Marcus Allen USC HB

2002 Carson Palmer USC QB

#98 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 12:14 AM

http://lamb.archives...usc/77usc7.html

Montana on the left and Coach Devine in the middle

(Game held at Notre Dame Stadium)

10/29/77: Notre Dame 49 - USC 19

Notre Dame's final record 11-1-0

#99 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 12:34 AM

In 1977 Montana threw two touchdowns and ran for two more against USC

Montana wasn't even a consensus All-American quarterback at Notre Dame

But Montana did lead ND to a National Championship in 1977

#100 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 12:46 AM

http://sportsillustr...0/11/28/cf1204/

(Game held at USC)

11/25/00: Notre Dame 38 - USC 21

Notre Dame's final record 9-3-0

#101 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 01:53 AM

The ND-USC series started in 1926

Currently, Notre Dame leads the series 42-26-5

#102 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 04:16 AM

Notre Dame's 7 Heisman Trophy Winners

http://www.irishlege...cts/heisman.htm

This limited-edition football has been authorized by the Downtown Athletic Club of New York as the official Notre Dame Heisman Trophy winner autographed ball.

The original edition of 5000 is sold out and I have very limited quantities available.

This ball has the authentic personal signatures of the following winners:

Angelo Bertelli (1943)

Johnny Lujack (1947)

Leon Hart (1949)

Johnny Lattner (1953)

Paul Hornung (1956)

John Huarte (1964)

Tim Brown (1987)

The ball is constructed of two white leather panels and two pigskin panels. Printed on the white panels is the navy blue Notre Dame logo. The Downtown Athletic Club logo and the Heisman Trophy logo are printed in gold.

#103 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 03:15 PM

Posted by JimmyInTexas on November 24, 2002 at 01:47:49

Hey Irish faithful it's Jimmy and I'm back this week with a new addition to my growing ND graphic catalog. This week's addition features two of the great defensive leaders from this year, Vontez Duff and Shane Walton. Hope you all enjoy. Go Irish!

Originally posted on UHND

#104 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 02:19 AM

http://sportsillustr...e/881205lg.html

(Game held at USC)

11/26/88: Notre Dame 27 - USC 10

Notre Dame's final record 12-0-0

#105 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 02:35 AM

In 1988 Tony Rice ran for a critical 50+ yard touchdown against USC

Rice wasn't even a consensus All-American quarterback at Notre Dame

But Rice did lead ND to a National Championship in 1988

#106 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 02:44 AM

http://www.theindepe...s_ndbattle.html

Tribute to Senior Wide Receiver Arnaz Battle

Associated Press Photo

Arnaz Battle shown, as the ND starting quarterback, preparing for the Nebraska game in the 2000 season. Battle played almost the entire game against Nebraska with a broken wrist (which sidelined Battle for the remainder of the 2000 season).

In 2001, Battle made a position change to wide receiver and now is ND's top receiver for the 2002 season.

The 2002 USC game will be Battle's last regular season game for ND.

#107 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 11:23 PM

Scotty Delgadillo - Part 1

http://espn.go.com/a...25/1466556.html

Monday, November 25, 2002

A lasting love (excerpts)

ABC Sports Online

On Jan. 21, 2000, Scotty was diagnosed with Leukemia at the age of 13. He fought the cancer with his desire to make it to Notre Dame and play for the Irish. Through the "Make-A-Wish Foundation", Scotty had a chance to visit South Bend in September 2000 to see Notre Dame play Purdue, and spoke in front of nearly 15,000 fans at the pep rally.

Scotty also developed an everlasting friendship with Notre Dame cornerback Shane Walton, who is also from the San Diego area. Whenever Walton was home from school, he would spend his free time visiting his new friend.

Scotty passed away on Jan. 29, 2001 at the age of 14, but his relationship with Shane and Notre Dame never faded.

Copyright ©2002 ESPN Internet Group

#108 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 11:31 PM

Scotty Delgadillo - Part 2

http://espn.go.com/a...25/1466556.html

Monday, November 25, 2002

A lasting love (excerpts)

ABC Sports Online

Here is a letter Scott's mother sent to ABC Sports producer Laurie White telling how much Shane touched Scott's life.

Laurie,

Scott's cancer returned Christmas Day 2000 and we were at Children's Hospital in San Diego for 30 days.

Shane, after returning from the Fiesta Bowl, started to stop by the hospital. He would bring his mother sometimes, or even a friend. Many times just himself. Scott sometimes could barely breathe, but when Shane would arrive he would sit up right away and you could see him light up. He always enjoyed every visit. I was impressed by Shane. One time Scotty had to be taken for some testing. Shane could have left, but instead he stayed and went with Scott and his father Henry. Another time Scott was taken back to ICU and I called Shane and he came right away. I will never forget that.

That day Scott told Shane about a dream he had. Scott had dreamt that he was cured and playing football at Notre Dame and wearing Shane's number, #42. Apparently that morning my husband Henry said Scott had waken up and the first thing he said was, "Shane is nice, huh Dad?" "Yes," my husband said. Then Scott said, "It's nice that he comes to visit me, right Dad?" "Yes," my husband said. "Very nice." Then Scott said, "Last night I had a dream and I am officially changing my number to #42." Winter break came to an end and Shane had to return to Notre Dame. Shane stopped by the hospital the day before he was due to leave. He gave Scotty a big hug and said goodbye. When Shane returned to Notre Dame, he still called. The next time we saw Shane was when we went to Notre Dame after Scotty passed for a funeral mass and we spent time with him. He was also a pallbearer in Scotty's funeral mass at Notre Dame. Scotty made friends with many of the football players, and kept in close contact with a couple. Scott kept Shane's picture at the hospital with him. When any of the doctor's nurses and staff came in to see Scotty he would introduce Shane to them, adding he was from San Diego. I do not know if Shane knows about this, but we buried our son with a cap that has the #18 and #42 on it.

I think Scotty still watches over Shane. In summer of 2001 when Shane was home for break, he stopped by our home. We have a Notre Dame flag in front of our home in honor of our son Scotty. The whole week after Scott passed away, the nights and days were very still. But whenever anyone would walk by the flag or go in Scott's room, which faces the flag, the flag would seem to dance. So when Shane stopped by in the summer, the flag had not danced for months. But that day when he arrived, it went crazy swinging side to side. Then he came inside our home and the flag stopped dancing as if it was sign saying how happy he was to see Shane.

I recently had heard that Shane keeps a picture of Scotty in his locker. What an extraordinary young man. This last fall 2002 when we were at Notre Dame, Shane was asked to speak at the pep rally before the Notre Dame vs. Michigan game. He mentioned that Scott's family was there for the game adding thanks for all their prayers and support. I thanked Shane for that and his response was that my son had changed his life forever. I admire Shane's mother as well; Shari Cassingham, a single mother and what a wonderful job she has done with her son. Because of her, we have another wonderful human being here with us. Scott had made a video before he passed away saying what kind hearts these players had. I have had people tell me that Shane is the type of player you would love no matter who he played for because of the soft side of him off the field. Shane's mother called me one night recently and wanted the address to the Scott Delgadillo Fund. A fan had called the University and wanted to make a donation to Shane's favorite charity, which is the (Cox Kids Foundation/Scott Delgadillo Fund). My employer, Cox Communications, in partnership with Make-A-Wish, instated the fund. It funds wishes for children with life-threatening illness. Because of Make-A-Wish and the trip to Notre Dame, Scott and Shane were able to meet.

Carmen Delgadillo

You can get more information on Scott Delgaldillo and the Cox Kids Foundation/Scott Delgadillo Fund at http://www.inmemoryofscott.com .

Copyright ©2002 ESPN Internet Group

#109 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 06:33 AM

http://www.nd.edu/~o...iewpoint/1.html

Family thanks community, continues fight

Eric, Carmen and Henry Delgadillo

San Diego, CA

Fourteen months ago when Scotty was diagnosed with leukemia, our lives were turned upside down. Although the months that followed were very trying and difficult, it never prepared us for the loss of his presence in our lives. As parents, it was our job to love, guide and support our Scotty. We are now and always have been very proud of Scotty. He taught us more than we taught him. They say nothing is yours until you give it away. God gave us a great gift in Scotty, that is because he belonged to Him. We never knew where Scotty's love for Notre Dame came from, but it was no mistake. After his Make-A-Wish weekend and the way all of you came into his life was proof that it was part of God's plan.

When God called Scotty home to continue his journey with the Lord, that made him ours (yours as well). When heartache came to visit, it left a break that will never go away. We know that it is for selfish reasons that we want him here, for Scotty is where we all aspire to be. We know that he will be with us forever in our memories from the way he inspired and touched so many lives. On behalf of Scotty and family we wish to express our gratitude to the entire Notre Dame family — fans, friends, alumni, staff and students — for the tremendous outpouring of love, prayers and support. The past year has been unimaginably difficult. All the e-mails, cards, letters, gifts and even the postings on the ND-supersite, have been much appreciated. They have all meant so much to us and Scotty during the most trying times during treatment and since his passing away.

Notre Dame lost three precious members of its family (Conor Murphy, Brionne Clary and Scotty) to the No. 1 child killing disease in our nation. The Cox Kids Foundation / Scott Delgadillo Fund was created to help fund the research for a cure not only for leukemia but also for other blood related diseases. It is our goal to help bring the awareness of leukemia to a national level.

Eric, Carmen and Henry Delgadillo

San Diego, CA

March 19, 2001

#110 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 07:32 AM

“A cyclone can’t be snared. It may be surrounded, but somewhere it breaks through to keep on going. When the cyclone starts from South Bend, where the candle lights still gleam through the Indiana sycamores, those in the way must take to the storm cellars at top speed.”

~ The Four Horsemen” by Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 19, 1924.

#111 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 09:43 AM

The ND-USC series was started in 1926 while Rockne was coaching Notre Dame.

Notre Dame won the first game 13-12 in the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Rockne's record against USC was 4-1-0

http://www.christcen...-notre-dame.htm

Knute Rockne at Notre Dame

#112 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 10:08 AM

Lou Holtz's ND record (1986-1996) against USC was 9-1-1

AP Photo

Edited by bobdrake12, 19 February 2003 - 06:03 AM.

#113 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 05:34 AM

USC beats Notre Dame 44-13.

Notre Dame is now 10-2

Notre Dame finished the season 10-3 losing to NCS in the Gator Bowl

Edited by bobdrake12, 19 February 2003 - 05:47 AM.

#114 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 05:52 AM

Posted by JimmyInTexas on December 08, 2002 at 20:42:49

Yeah yeah I said the last group were the last but ok I lied. I had time and an idea and here are two new ones.

-Jimmy

#115 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 03:36 PM

Thanks Jimmy for your contribution to ND football!

bob

#116 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 05:49 AM

Posted by JimmyInTexas on December 02, 2002 at 00:42:54

In honor of this year's team and a graphic with the future written all over it. Go Irish!

-Jimmy

Originally posted on the UHND Board

#117 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 05:56 AM

JimmyInTexas.

Thanks for your two latest banners!

bob

JimmyInTexas's banner was originally posted on the UHND Board

Edited by bobdrake12, 19 February 2003 - 05:52 AM.

#118 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:23 AM

YEAR END GRAPHIC UPDATES

Posted by JimmyInTexas on December 05, 2002 at 00:01:58

Well folks here's the updates for all the banners I've made over this past season as well as a few new ones. Expect a new wallpaper after the bowl game as a seasonal momento for the return to glory under Ty's first year. Go Irish!

-Jimmy

#119 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 05:31 AM

JimmyInTexas.

Thanks again for your banners!

bob

#120 bobdrake12

• Topic Starter