• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

US Gov't Valuation of Senior Citizens

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ocsrazor

• Guest OcsRazor
  • 461 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:14 PM

There was a NY Times article this morning about the EPA dropping old cost-benefit analyses which value the lives of people over 70 at 37% less than those younger. While this is encouraging, in the article there are some parties with clear biases towards valuing older individuals less in health and environmental calculations under the rationale that they have lived more of their lifespan and are of less value to society as a whole.

I have argued on a number of occasions that the intelligent course of action for our society as a whole is to increase the value of all people through increased medical research, education, etc. It seems the US and many societies seem to think devaluing their citizens at the end of their life is the way to go.

article link
EPA Drops Age-Based Cost Studies

Best,
ocsrazor

Edited by ocsrazor, 08 May 2003 - 04:18 PM.

#2 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:52 PM

This caught my attention when it happened the other day and I am glad you included it Occam. I was fascinated to see that it flew right into the maelstrom of Environmental Policy debate.

I wonder if they are going to charge us if we live too long [?]

Sort of a surtax on aging. You know, sort of a users tax on life or a non payment of death penalty?

If we live too long then our lives devalue past zero into negative numbers and they decide to charge us the difference in addition to the rest of our taxes. [ph34r]

Edited by Lazarus Long, 08 May 2003 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users