Aspergers syndrome

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:55 AM

From post was moved here from the "Improving with age" thread:

http://www.imminst.o...&t=11649&hl=&s=

Positives include: ability to develop highly advanced knowledge on subjects of interest and a desire to be competent in what they do but not in every single possible aspect of life,

Negatives include: difficulty showing emotion and being able to read other peoples emotions and body language and knowing what amount of eye contact is appropriate

Mind you an aspie could always become an expert on body language and know more about it on a conscious level.

I don't think it should be called a disability. In fact I believe Stephen Spielberg has it and you would surprised at the full list of great achievers throughout human history that people think may have been on the spectrum.

I've been a self-employed call out PC tech for the last 5 years so i've met a lot of people an greatly improved my social skills by relating to them on a personal and professional level. I may have actually eroded away many of my aspie traits over that time.
I speak in a bit of a monotone voice but I have also had girls tell me on the phone that my voice is "sexy"

I have also met a lot of neutrotypicals and while I don't want to be to controversial here it could be argued that some NT traits are types of disabilities. High tech society in some ways is more suited to people on the spectrum and it may have been those people that helped us get here too.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

When I first saw your "Proud Aspie" sig pic, I had a brain hiccup and thought it said "Proud Auspie", which I thought was another way to say Aussie. This was, I presume, a mental response to its proximity to the Australian flag that is right next to it.

In any event, as far as Asperger's Syndrome, I did a search on Google, and this was the first link, which seems to give an alright overview. Is this, in your opinion, a good overview of the syndrome?

Also, caston, you seem to communicate quite well on here, and I would never have known you had Asperger's Syndrome had you not stated so. Has the syndrome in any way hindered you in life, do you think? The page I linked to makes mention of teasing and such in early childhood especially, were you ever a victim of such heartless acts by others? (kids can be quite cruel sometimes)

Edited by Live Forever, 24 July 2006 - 11:15 AM.

#3 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

It's a reasonably good explanation but it varies from person to person.

I got bullied a lot in high school. I also changed groups of friends many times but the people from the previous groups followed and swelled up the population of the new group.

I've had a lot of difficulty finding jobs and entering relationships in the past but I think that if life was easy I would be far less hardworking, knowledgeable and competent today.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:15 AM

Just to get one explanation out of the way (regarding communication in autism) --

A lot of people on the autism spectrum actually do communicate very well through writing / typing -- even people who are designated as "low functioning" can learn to communicate in some way, and this is not nearly as rare as some might think. There's a woman about my age named Sue Rubin who was thought to be "profoundly retarded" until she was 13 or so, but then she learned to type and ended up being tested as having a 140 IQ, and went on to attend college, albeit with some assistance with daily living (though it is important to realize that EVERYONE in some way receives assistance with daily living -- I'd like to see how many "normal" people could get by without food harvested or killed by other people, or clothing made by other people, or even without an alarm clock to wake them up in the morning!)

Basically, I am of the opinion that Asperger's is a valid variant of being human, and that the medical establishment actually has a very superficial understanding of autism in general. When I was growing up I was quite often assumed to be "in my own world" and engaging in a lot of obsessive interests and not relating to my peers, for instance, but very few people probably had any idea that I was actually observing and examining things all the time.

I also started a thread at Betterhumans that might be more explanatory as well:

http://www.betterhum...hread/8620.aspx

...and I've written a bit about autism on my blog:

http://rationallonge...ity-rights.html

http://rationallonge...gress-hold.html

http://rationallonge...personhood.html

Hopefully some of that is useful and explanatory!

#5 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:18 AM

Oh, and as a side note: I think that "normal social skills" are overrated. I was bullied quite often as a child and people did shun me for my interests, introversion, and overall communication style but now I'd guess I am a lot happier and more informed about things that really matter than the people who used to pick on me. One girl in 10th grade picked up a book I was reading ("The Fourth Dimension", by Rudy Rucker, if you're curious) and THREW it across the room physically -- because she just took one look at the page I was reading and assumed it was "boring and stupid".

And she was supposedly a popular and "normal" person. If those are "superior social skills", I don't want any part of that!

#6 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:27 AM

And one more thing: one big confusion regarding AS is that we supposedly "lack empathy". From what I've observed, it's more to the effect that we lack the same default assumption sets as most people. Sociopaths are the ones who truly lack empathy -- they might understand the assumption sets of others but they just don't care and will use people as tools to meet their own ends.

Autistics, on the other hand, tend to just plain not KNOW what assumptions other people are making due to having a very different way of perceiving the world. But once we know something, we generally care and don't wish to actually hurt anyone. I don't read standard body language or tone of voice, for instance, so I've had numerous occasions in the past where people have gotten mad at me for what I see as no reason. And then later on I find out they were trying to tell me something nonverbally and that they were actually being fairly obvious about it, but I didn't pick up on it.

There's a difference between not knowing how someone feels (or not knowing how to appropriately respond) and knowing how someone feels and just not caring. It actually really bugs me how many people mix up autism with psychopathy -- I DO care about people's feelings, I just don't tend to unconsciously pick up on them!

However it is also important to note that when I'm not picking up on standard cues I AM picking up on lots of other things -- I'm very sensitive to word choice, and I am completely immune to "charisma"-based sales pitches because often times those people are just speaking BS but apparently in a tone that tends to make most people believe them even though they are not saying anything that even makes sense. I am also very attuned to visual detail, which is great for pattern recognition but also makes it impossible for me to drive a car safely because I end up reading all the license plates, etc. So it's a mixed blessing, I'd say, but no more or less so than any other variation of being human.

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:44 AM

Terrific explanation, Anne. You certainly have a way with words and descriptions. [thumb]

#8 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:25 AM

The other thing is a tendancy to take things literally.

e.g. NT mum says to aspie son "Can that TV be any louder?"
Aspie son replies "Yes".
NT mum gets angry.
Apsie son is confused.

#9 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:31 AM

Anne,

The ratio of aspie men to aspie women seems to be much higher accordinging to many sources of information. Do you think this is actually the case or that aspie females are more likely to blend in and go undetected or simply do better in state and tertiary education?

#10 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

Aspie females tend to get misdiagnosed as having anxiety disorders, ADD-inattentive, and other such things -- in part because of social conventions (doctors are more likely to "see" autism in boys because they are expecting to, after all) and in part because girl-culture in the early years and grades doesn't tend to be as competition-based as boy-culture, at least not overtly. An Aspie boy might get beaten up, but in my case the actual abuse (which was sometimes physical but more often verbal) usually came AFTER I would be surrounded by a group of girls, all of them literally giving me instructions on how to be more like them, more "normal". I was actually informed that I really ought to "get over Star Wars and start to like New Kids On The Block". I think that groups of girls do tend toward attempts to "assimilate" and perhaps those who are less affected / less different end up learning to blend in more by being explicitly instructed.

This wasn't the case with me because I saw the "assimilation" attempts as incoherent and irritating.

As for education, I actually did struggle in school somewhat. I was always trying to read things about my own interests and would have spent all day in the library if people had let me! I went to a special school for preschool and ended up receiving various pieces of assistance throughout my entire education. I think that maybe some female Aspies do thrive on the way things are taught in "state and tertiary education" but in my case I actually think the biggest issue is that I'm a visual learner rather than an auditory learner. Anyone who is primarily an auditory learner is likely to do fairly well in a lecture-based format.

But the short answer to your question is: yes, I think that Aspie females are more likely to blend in or go undetected -- and the reasons for this are primarily social.

#11 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:27 AM

Thanks Anne,

I do know what you mean about people trying to help you be more NTish. I guess they mean well but it is very frustrating and about as logical as trying to wash your clothes in the dishwasher.

I've spent most of my life fighting between following my interests and trying to blend in. The internet is wonderful in that it allows me to do both but it can further alienate me from my own community in some ways. In another ways the information available makes me an almost unique and knowledgeable person that NTs come to rely on as a pillar of their community.

My view is that Aspergers syndrome is a gift and that following your interests and developing your talents to their full potential will open far more important doors than any of those that social differences may close.

#12 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:07 AM

What does NT stand for, caston?

#13 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

Neurotypical. It's not the best term though but it begs the question "what is normal?".

If we lived in world where 499/500 people were Aspies then Aspie would be NT and we would have to call NT something else.

#14 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

I'd be willing to bet good money that a lot here are undiagnosed aspies, there at the very least many traits amongst immortalists.

#15 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

[wis]

#16 Trias

• 270 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

Anne:

Every word is gold.

#17 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

Well, excuse my literalism but what do you mean by every word being gold?

#18 Trias

• 270 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

ai ai ai... upon second look, my statement does seem rather peculiar (it is a literal translation of an Hebrew phrase).. excuse me then!

What I meant is that everything you had described is beautifully written, and 100% correct. I enjoy reading your blog as well.

-Daniel

#19 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

And Gareth: one of my own personal projects / agendas is to bring to light the fact that without the random Aspie here and there, there might not be any sort of transhumanist or life extension movement in the first place (or at the very least, it wouldn't be as strong as it is now).

Though I'm all for allowing people to take advantage of modifications that help THEM achieve the goals THEY have for their lives (and there are a few modifications I'm interested in myself -- heck, I'm trying to NOT DIE, after all!), I'm really disturbed by some writings I come across occasionally that put "eliminating autism" as one of those goals that transhumanists ought to support.

But luckily I don't run into that attitude very often, and certainly never in this community. Which makes sense, since helping extend healthy lives is NOT contingent upon a person being able to make small talk easily or go out to clubs every evening, but rather, upon a person's ability to support and learn about science and if possible engage in some area of research.

EDIT: And Daniel, thank you for the explanation and compliment. I enjoy writing but I hope it actually does some good!

#20 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

Anne
Though I'm all for allowing people to take advantage of modifications that help THEM achieve the goals THEY have for their lives (and there are a few modifications I'm interested in myself -- heck, I'm trying to NOT DIE, after all!), I'm really disturbed by some writings I come across occasionally that put "eliminating autism" as one of those goals that transhumanists ought to support.

But luckily I don't run into that attitude very often, and certainly never in this community. Which makes sense, since helping extend healthy lives is NOT contingent upon a person being able to make small talk easily or go out to clubs every evening, but rather, upon a person's ability to support and learn about science and if possible engage in some area of research.

That's an interesting take on things, Anne. I am also strongly on the side of civil rights and *freedom of choice*. A line must be drawn in the sand between the individual and the influence of the state. Of course, after debating the issue of "mental illness" with Prometheus many times I have come to realize that the issue is actually quite complex and both pro and con can be argued effectively. The state-individual antagonism permeates so many issues, does it not?

Ultimately I would say that *choice* must be reserved for the individual. If individuals want to remain autistic, then that is certainly their right. The problem comes in cases of severe impairment where informed consent can not be given. Does the state then make a value judgement for the individual and proceed with augmentation? Is there really an individual (a moral agent) present? Who decides if there is or isn't? If there is, then the appropriate course of actions would be to somehow formulate a means of communication to discern intent. Or is that the appropriate course of action? What if it is determined that developing an alternative mode of communication is such a daunting task, and would take such an exorbitant amount of time, that making an executive decision in favor of augmentation is the more rational course of action?

And then there is also the possibility that an individual isn't present. In which case "therapeutic" neuro-augmentation begins to merge with other theoretical reproductive technologies such as germ line engineering in giving the parents (I sincerely hope that no one would try arguing in favor of state jurisdiction!) unprecedented control over the reproductive ("creative") process. Decentralized eugenics (as Lazarus would say, there's that dirty E word [lol] ) - something I am strongly in favor of, but which will no doubt lead to heated controvesy and scare tactics galore.

#21 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:11 AM

I think that if a person absolutely cannot communicate and is obviously frustrated by their inability to communicate, then if it is possible to give that person the means to communicate (i.e., by means of some sort of augmentation) then it might be permissible to apply this augmentation. However, consent and liberty are still key concerns.

Being autistic doesn't in and of itself mean a person is *incapable* of communicating, so any interventions offered should not be to eliminate autistic people but to provide a means by which autistic people can communicate more effectively. Consent is so important that even if the task of developing and providing alternative means of communication is "daunting", the obligation still exists to try to develop it -- otherwise we risk a situation wherein people are making decisions on behalf of others without any real idea what those others would actually want.

For instance, giving an autistic person a keyboard communication device and teaching them to use it (which is something a lot of people already benefit from) doesn't make them nonautistic or violate their individual rights -- it empowers them to be better able to communicate their thoughts. I imagine that more advanced augmentations (brain to computer interface, for instance) may make it possible in the future for an even greater number of people to communicate that presently cannot, and that in all cases we ought to avoid the "executive decision" route unless someone's life is literally in danger.

And even then, it is important to recognize that there are multiple reasons why a person might have difficulty communicating, or communicating in a certain way -- I don't like the approach that seeks to eliminate entire configurations of person on the basis that some aspects of that configuration might lead to problems. By that logic, we ought to abort all babies because all humans have the inherent potential to become bullies or murderers, and I'm sure you can see the ridiculousness of that approach. Human development is a slow and complex process and regardless of what set of "initial conditions" a baby has, there's only so much a person can do in terms of offering a good start.

I am *very* uncomfortable with the notion of state power being applied in order to restrict reproductive choice in either direction -- that is, I don't think anyone should be forced to carry a child to term for ANY reason (since I don't think it's right for people to be forced to act as incubators against their will) but I also strongly disagree with the notion of governments stepping in and determining that it's illegal to give birth to autistic babies (if, say, a genetic test for autism were developed). I've seen autism being lumped in with conditions that are actually deadly, which doesn't make any sense to me at all -- of course you'd want to fix a fatal heart defect or lung problem in a developing child, but once you move outside the realm of deadly conditions things get much fuzzier and enter the realm of subjectivity.

I think when it comes to things that don't actually threaten health, the decision to bring a child to term or not, or to modify or not, ought to be left up to the parent -- and the parent needs to keep in mind that no matter what choice they make, the child might still grow up to disagree with the choice, which would of course be that child's right.

And when it comes to individuals, I am very much in favor of individual, self-directed evolution and widespread access to safe and effective modification technologies, but I am quite strongly against mandatory interventions beyond those with strong scientific backing showing their clear benefits (i.e., I am absolutely supportive of mandatory vaccination policies) or those that directly address something that is actually happening (i.e., I think it is acceptable to drug someone with a tranquilizer dart if they're in the process of trying to assault someone).

#22 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:26 PM

(I have a tendency to wander off topic. Maybe I should split this thread?)

Anne
I am *very* uncomfortable with the notion of state power being applied in order to restrict reproductive choice in either direction -- that is, I don't think anyone should be forced to carry a child to term for ANY reason (since I don't think it's right for people to be forced to act as incubators against their will) but I also strongly disagree with the notion of governments stepping in and determining that it's illegal to give birth to autistic babies (if, say, a genetic test for autism were developed).  I've seen autism being lumped in with conditions that are actually deadly, which doesn't make any sense to me at all -- of course you'd want to fix a fatal heart defect or lung problem in a developing child, but once you move outside the realm of deadly conditions things get much fuzzier and enter the realm of subjectivity.

I think when it comes to things that don't actually threaten health, the decision to bring a child to term or not, or to modify or not, ought to be left up to the parent -- and the parent needs to keep in mind that no matter what choice they make, the child might still grow up to disagree with the choice, which would of course be that child's right. 

And when it comes to individuals, I am very much in favor of individual, self-directed evolution and widespread access to safe and effective modification technologies, but I am quite strongly against mandatory interventions beyond those with strong scientific backing showing their clear benefits (i.e., I am absolutely supportive of mandatory vaccination policies) or those that directly address something that is actually happening (i.e., I think it is acceptable to drug someone with a tranquilizer dart if they're in the process of trying to assault someone).

If I were a pregnant women and my fetus tested positive for autism I would have the abortion. That's a value judgement on my part, but also one that I would be perfectly within my rights to make. Individuals with autism are generally speaking less capable of living independently. Just as anecdotal evidence, I've personally known two autistics, and in one case disagreements over how to handle an adult autistic (whether to put him [6'3" 240, sometimes violent, with a mother your size] in a full time care facility, or continue home care) eventually broke up the marriage. Again, it all depends on the severity of the autism.

The really interesting area of this dialog, and one which may be straying a bit off topic, is notion of *procreative choice*. It sounds like a no-brainer, right? However, the *state* is really just a tool used by society to maintain social order. The problem, as has been noted by many Libertarians (Elrond comes to mind), is Mill's ever present "tyranny of the majority". The tyrannical urge (for conformity, for homogeneity) is present regardless of the whether or not there is state apparatus to enforce it.

As the technology for decentralized eugenics reaches maturity (and unlike many of the technologies under discussion at ImmInst, we are talking the present to very near term future) there will be a "purging" of elements deemed "undesirable", not by the state apparatus, but by an emergent macro-level force comprising of choice exercised at the individual level.

Obviously fetal screenings (amniocentesis, sonograms, genetic screenings) have been around for decades, but their effectiveness as a diagnostic directly corresponds with (1) their level of technological refinement and (2) our knowledge base in the fields of genetics and developmental biology. IMO, progress appears to be accelerating on this front, particularly in terms of cost-effectiveness, with the result being an ever increasing availability to the more underprivileged socio-economics brackets (certainly a positive occurrence) and an expanding scope for the diagnostics themselves.

Slightly further out in design space is the prospect of germ line engineering, which would allow for the preemptive (rather than reactive) control of the procreative process. Anyone familiar with the scene in contemporary bioethics knows how much of a hot button issue germ line engineering is. And not surprisingly some of the best conservative arguments come, not from those of a theological bent railing against the "playing of God", but from secular ethicists concerned with what will be the consequences of intensifying already powerful cultural forces. China's culturally autonomous skewing of its male/female ratio is just the tip of the iceberg.

Considering things from 2006 it is difficult to speculate on where such volitility will take us. The absence of an acceptable demarcator between therapy and augmentation is the standard tech progressive mantra, however I believe that this focus merely reveals the subtle yet inevitable bias that accompanies a tech positive framework. The ubiquitous individual-society antagonism affects both the upper bounds and the variance of a distribution curve.

Looking on the bright side of things, retrospective induction of the various trends in human history lead one to believe that the conditions of our system appear to favor *progress* over the long term, while chaos and unpredictability reign supreme in the short term. With morphological and cognitive freedom the hope is for the imperatives of homogeneity and uniqueness to counterbalance one another.

----------------------------------------------
Random funny story for the day...

My good friend's brother, Adam, and his wife Steph were having their first baby last year. Adam is a blonde hair blue eyed Russian Jew and his wife is Filipino. During one of the screenings Adam jokingly lamented the fact that as long as he was with Steph he would never have a blonde hair blue eyed son that looked like him. The tech assistant in the room (trying to instill a positive outlook in him?) said, "Oh, don't worry about that hun. You just have to have faith." Totally amused Adam responded back, "I've never been very big on the faith, but I do have my science. And science tells me there are these things call dominant and recessive genes." [lol]

"All I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more." ~ Morpheus

#23 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:54 AM

If I were a pregnant women and my fetus tested positive for autism I would have the abortion.  That's a value judgement on my part, but also one that I would be perfectly within my rights to make.

You're right that as a parent the decision to carry a child to term or not would be a decision within your rights -- as a pro-choice individual, I cannot possibly argue in favor of abortion rights but then at the same time argue that it should be illegal to get an abortion simply because I don't think someone else has a "good enough" reason. If I argued that way, I'd be no different from those who tried to restrict reproductive choice on religious grounds.

Individuals with autism are generally speaking less capable of living independently.

Perhaps, but one must also keep in mind that "independence" is very relative to the culture one exists in. Nobody who lives in anything that could be called a "society" is entirely independent in the first place -- after all, most of us don't plant and harvest our own food, build our own cars, drill for and refine the fuel we use, build our own houses with our own hands, wake up without the aid of alarm clocks, dig wells and purify our own water to drink, or physically take care of all our own medical needs.

Autistic individuals are probably no less "independent" in the pure sense than anyone else -- if you put one of us out in the woods, naked and without any supplies, it's actually quite likely we'd be just as good as anyone else at finding food and water and shelter. It's just that there are fewer autistic than nonautistic people, and societies are set up by nonautistic people, so naturally the resultant social structure accounts largely for the needs of the majority. Living in a society is more of an interdependence than a true independence (and if anyone suggests I'm saying this because I'm female, I'll show them some good autistic violence! JUST KIDDING!) so when people say that autistic individuals tend to have trouble living independently, what they're really saying is that autistic people tend to have needs that require services that don't necessarily exist by default, and that figuring out how to address these needs represents a time and resource investment of uncertain magnitude.

This isn't some sort of postmodern relativism on my part -- it's an observation of objective reality. If you take the average upper middle class suburb-dweller and put them out in a wild environment without access to any of the technologies they've grown up dependent on (no cutlery, no cellular phones, no prefab clothing) it's even possible that this person might fare *worse* than the average autistic person, since autistic people often have higher sensory acuity and a survival instinct that doesn't tend to be as restricted by social norms. Just some things to think about, but more of a thought experiment than anything else since for all practical purposes, the hypothetical "lost in the woods without a cell phone" scenario is highly unrealistic, except perhaps in the context of an inappropriately-named "Reality Show" (and no, I don't watch reality shows).

Just as anecdotal evidence, I've personally known two autistics, and in one case disagreements over how to handle an adult autistic (whether to put him [6'3" 240, sometimes violent, with a mother your size] in a full time care facility, or continue home care) eventually broke up the marriage.

I'm sorry to hear that -- but at the same time it's important to keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of prison inmates / violent criminals are not autistic. I went to school with a lot of nonautistic kids who were quite horribly violent -- at one point, a whole crew of them ran after me in the park, pelting me with rocks and trying to hit me with sticks. And they were supposed to be the ones with the "superior social skills".

Again, I'm just pointing out something I've observed in objective reality. Yes, autistic people are "sometimes violent". Autistic people are people, and *people* are sometimes violent. I'd be much more inclined to look into ways of eliminating irrationality and violent tendencies in *all* people (while of course not taking away their ability to legitimately defend themselves when needed).

Again, it all depends on the severity of the autism.

There's actually a lot of fuzziness surrounding what constitutes "severity". Some people go by IQ tests, but autistic performance tends to vary depending on the type of test. Autistics actually exhibit superior performance on a test called the Raven's Progressive Matrix, while performance on more standard tests (such as the Weschler and Stanford-Binet) can be lower overall. And as far as communication capacity goes, it is impossible to tell at birth how well a person is going to be able to communicate when they grow up, or as they are growing up. I think perhaps the key here is "unpredictability" rather than severity -- once you know someone is autistic, you don't really know anything about what their eventual, potential, or even present capabilities are without a lot of careful observation and patience. In my personal opinion, people who (a) want predictability in their lives and (b) have little to no patience shouldn't be having kids in the first place, and I think that when people think they want a child they ought to very carefully examine the reasons why.

And as an aside, I decided a number of years ago that I didn't want kids at all, since parenthood sounds frankly annoying and I've got too many other things I'd rather be doing (not to mention the fact that my own hyper-acute senses don't jive well with screaming babies and bodily fluids spewing every which way). I know for a fact that I'm too selfish with my time and resources to be able to give over my life to another person in the manner that a parent needs to do. I don't see anything wrong with this -- it's not as if the population needs my input in order to maintain its numbers after all!

The really interesting area of this dialog, and one which may be straying a bit off topic, is notion of *procreative choice*.

I don't think it's really off-topic yet, though procreative choice is a huge issue in transhumanism and could very easily have its own thread.

However, the *state* is really just a tool used by society to maintain social order.  The problem, as has been noted by many Libertarians (Elrond comes to mind), is Mill's ever present "tyranny of the majority".  The tyrannical urge (for conformity, for homogeneity) is present regardless of the whether or not there is state apparatus to enforce it.

That is a really, really good observation and I'm glad you brought it up. I've been trying to think of a way to put into words the phenomenon in which there's no central governing body making dictates, but nevertheless, certain attitudes prevail and their tenets are enforced, sometimes through sheer mob mentality. As you might imagine, I've always been quite resistant to the notion of enforced conformity and homogeneity, but I recognize that it exists. This is actually one reason I think that autistic people, or autistic traits, have been produced by evolution -- as sort of a countermeasure to certain forms of social stagnation that tend to develop in groups of humans.

Human psychology has evolved to be heavily wired for social imitation and collectivism, as well as a tendency to agree for the sake of agreement, and to let one's actual sensory impressions fall to the wayside in favor of certain group-oriented memes (i.e., "The Emperor's New Clothes" -- that one kid who spoke out was quite possibly an Aspie, IMO ;) ). I think that perhaps all humanity exists on a spectrum, and that too much tendency to conform will mean the end of any population, just as too little of a tendency to conform or respond to social signals will also be counterproductive in the long run. I'm all in favor of humans beginning to direct our own evolution through technological means, but I definitely think that some memetic engineering work is in order to assure that powerful groups don't attempt to engineer all the nonconformity-genes out of a population.

...and I'm going to run off and look at some stuff on lab automation right now, but I'll probably have further comments on this at some point. Thank you very much for engaging in this dialogue, by the way.

EDIT: That danged quote bug seems to be messing with how this post is appearing on my screen.

EDIT AGAIN: The quotes look OK to me now -- taking out the "name=" bit seemed to fix things.

Edited by Anne, 07 August 2006 - 04:10 AM.

#24 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:07 AM

I'd be willing to bet good money that a lot here are undiagnosed aspies, there at the very least many traits amongst immortalists.

I'm probably one of them. My sister-in-law, who is a school teacher and has read up a lot on AS, thinks I'm most likely a mild case.

#25 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

Jay:

Have you seen the "geek syndrome" test?

http://www.thegeeksyndrome.com/

I scored 26.

#26 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (caston)
Jay:

Have you seen the "geek syndrome" test?

http://www.thegeeksyndrome.com/

I scored 26.

Those behaviours are indicative of Asperger's Syndrome??

I scored a 36 on that test. I wanted stronger "yes" and "no" answers for some of the questions.

#27 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

kylyssa: Your one of us... :)

I wouldn't be surprised if rates of people with aspergers syndrome has increased with every technological revolution. Many aspies work in IT and I expect to see many working in bio and nanotech in the near future.

I'm going to be doing a oral presentation (talk) for my foundation unit about prenatal testing for autism and why I think it is a bad idea.

#28 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:22 AM

I scored a 31. I can fake sociability in my job as a resort manager, but I don't feel it because most of the strangers I deal with (and many of the people I know) don't quite register with me as real individuals.

#29 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (caston)
I wouldn't be surprised if rates of people with aspergers syndrome has increased with every technological revolution.

I wouldn't be surprised, either. I think a lot of it has to do with selective mating, especially when you figure that the most recent technological revolution has produced something (internets!) that is pretty much ideal for communication between Aspies and the like. I wouldn't have my boyfriend now if it weren't for the wonders of e-mail.

EDIT: I'm not having kids, but I'm sure plenty of spectrum and near-spectrum folks are, or will be, in the coming years.

#30 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE (advancedatheist)
I scored a 31. I can fake sociability in my job as a resort manager, but I don't feel it because most of the strangers I deal with (and many of the people I know) don't quite register with me as real individuals.

I also must fake sociability in bridal consultations. Luckily there are many "scripts" I've either adapted or invented over the years, including body language. Freelance writing by its nature requires no physical human contact whatsoever. My internet sales don't require any, either.

My spouse is quite unusual. I do not believe he suffers any communications issues. We never dated, we just dropped into a "spouse" relationship directly from a friend relationship. I think he likes that I am what I am and that I take him at face value without looking for undercurrents or reading anything into him. He is what he is and I like it very much. He participates in several fan club type groups and I do ok "socializing" at them because all that is required is the knowledge about the subject (Star Wars Droid Building) which I can either soak in or if asked I can give out. My only problem is when I have to talk to the wives. Most of them have no interest in Star Wars. It generally isn't much of an issue because once I start talking about something I can talk about (marine biology/aquaculture/marine chemistry, mechanical engineering, even floral design, heh) their eyes glaze over, they walk away, and they find someone to talk to about make-up, child-rearing, or whatever it is wives talk about. I get on better with men as they tend to be more interested in technical issues such as how things work and how they are assembled. Most of my verbal (and non-verbal) communication is "scripted" or regurgitated knowledge but I can actually communicate original thoughts via the written mode.

I still can't tell the difference between a facial expression of anger, sadness, boredom, or constipation - even in my Husband. Fortunately, he doesn't hint and he doesn't fake expressions so a smile is a smile. With everyone else, I try to keep face-to-face communication on an information sharing level only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users