• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:07 PM

Link to source

Health study

Men, sharing your bed can reduce your brainpower

Sharing your bed can reduce your brain power – but only if you are a man, say scientists.

When men spend the night in the same bed as someone else their sleep patterns are disturbed, even if they do not make love, new research shows.

And this leads to poorer performance in mental agility tests the next day.

However women do not suffer the same problem. They too have disturbed sleep if they share a bed, but tend to get better quality rest when they do finally drop off. This means their brain power remains undiminished. The finding suggests that if a man has an important day ahead he would be best to head off to the spare room to sleep rather than sharing the marital bed.

A team led by Professor Gerhard Kloesch at the University of Vienna recruited eight unmarried, childless couples in their twenties for their study.

He asked them to spend 10 nights sleeping apart and ten together while he monitored their rest patterns at night through wrist monitors and sleep diaries.

The next day he gave them mental ability or 'cognitive' tests.

Even without having sex, everyone had more disturbed sleep when sharing a bed than alone but the effects of this on the brain only affected the men.

According to the journal: "Lack of sleep led to increased stress hormone levels in men and reduced their ability to perform simple cognitive tests the next day."

The study also found sharing a bed can impact dreams. Typically women remembered more of their dreams after sleeping alone while men recalled the most after sex.

Interestingly, most men were not aware that sharing their bed disrupted their sleep – and in fact believe having a partner there helped them drop off.

Women felt they slept better when alone, although this makes no difference to their mental performance the next day.

Professor Jim Horne, of Sleep Research Centre at Loughborough University said: "Men would need a really bad night's sleep for their brain's performance to be impaired the next day.

"Also, couples who share a bed for years get used to each other so much that if they then spend a night apart they actually have a worse night's sleep alone than when together."

#2 ozone

• 150 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

I'm glad the topic has a comma in it because I'm a man. [thumb]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

LOL. I assume it could have alternatively said, "Dude, man, sharing your bed can reduce your brainpower."

#4 senseix

• 250 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:47 PM

Nice post tho, i told the g/f that we would be purchasing two beds like the Dick Van Dyke show, she giggled a bit:)

#5 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

LOL.

#6 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:04 PM

buying a high end bed solves this dillema IMHO. Money says that the beds the people in the study slept on where of the cheaper variety, I know people with 20k$ beds and they sleep like newborns.

people are really funny....hey, let's spend 30k on a car...and buy an 800$ bed [huh]

what do they expect?

#7 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:16 PM

That's why you make her sleep on the floor.

#8 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:34 AM

.hey, let's spend 30k on a car...and buy an 800$ bed

My bed cost a bit more than $800, and my current car is barely worth my bed. My next car will be a hybrid I think. I would take an EV1 as most of my driving is just to the local Whole Foods and back home.

By the way, I recommend the film Who Killed the Electric Car?; it's hilarious.

#9 Dream

• 47 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:52 AM

karomesis has the right of it.

shepard...right on. LOL

The study fails to mention the sleeping conditions. - This is the primary reason I cannot take it seriously.

I will however admit that, personally, I sleep better alone.

#10 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:17 AM

I also have a rather expensive bed.

I had it custom made from memory foam (the same thing as in the Tempur matresses) and latex and some other arb materials...

Well worth every cent.

#11 stephen

• 202 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

From my experience, there are two issues far more important that a mattress can never solve:

1. Body heat. I think girls body temp. is higher on average than guys. It's like sleeping next to a space heater!

2. Sounds. I spend a lot of time traveling in hotels, and there's nothing more annoying than an AC unit that turns on / shuts off every five minutes. There's no way you can get a good night sleep with intermittent noises like that!

#12 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

Yeah...

Space heater... can actually be quite nice in my view. About sounds (and light as well), thick curtains work well, as do carpets to absorb sound. Insulation in the ceiling works too.

#13 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

I sleep just fine under most conditions, including on the luggage racking on a train, on a ship at sea during a hurricane, and on a hard wood floor. I wouldn't waste a lot of money on a super bed. Though I do find I like to sleep at a slight incline.

#14 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

I sleep just fine under most conditions, including on the luggage racking on a train, on a ship at sea during a hurricane, and on a hard wood floor.  I wouldn't waste a lot of money on a super bed.  Though I do find I like to sleep at a slight incline.

Yeah, I'm the same way...but it's hard to argue the benefits of quality sleep. And a decent sleeping area is part of that.

#15 doug123

• Topic Starter
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:31 AM

.hey, let's spend 30k on a car...and buy an 800$ bed

My bed cost a bit more than $800, and my current car is barely worth my bed. My next car will be a hybrid I think. I would take an EV1 as most of my driving is just to the local Whole Foods and back home.

By the way, I recommend the film Who Killed the Electric Car?; it's hilarious.

Okay, my car is better than I last reported (it's not a hybrid, but maybe soon!), but...back on the topic...yeah, sorta, sex, or beds, dreams:

News Source: DogFlu.Ca

Posted Image

A new Canadian study finds that men and women have about the same amount of dreams that have a sexual nature.

The findings of a new Canadian study find that men and women both have a similar amount of dreams about sex.

According to University of Montreal psychology professor Antonio Zadra the study found that approximately 8% of everyday dream reports from both genders contain some form of sexual-related activity.

For the study, Zadra examined more than 3,500 dream reports collected from both men and women. He found that the most common type of sexual dream related to sexual intercourse, followed by sexual propositions, kissing, fantasies and masturbation.

Other statistics that were reported included:
• Both men and women reported experiencing an orgasm in about 4 per cent of their sexual dreams.
• Women reported that orgasms were experienced by other people who figured in their dreams, in about 4 per cent of their dreams.
• In contrast, men did not report other characters experiencing orgasms in their dreams.
• Current or past partners were identified in 20 per cent of women's sexual dreams, compared to 14 per cent for men.
• Public figures such as movie stars and politicians were twice as likely to be the object of women's sexual dreams, while men were twice as likely to report
dreaming of multiple sex partners.

"Observed gender differences may be indicative of different waking needs, experiences, desires and attitudes with respect to sexuality," Zadra said in a statement. "This is consistent with the continuity hypothesis of dreaming which postulates that the content of everyday dreams reflects the dreamer's waking states and concerns - that is, that dream and waking thought contents are continuous."

The study was based on interviews with 109 women and 64 men who recorded their dreams over a 4 week period.

#16 betty

• 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:46 AM

My wife and I (I'm male; the username is random) sleep together fine in hotel room super king size beds. Our cozy queen size at home, though, is intolerable to me. At home, I sleep like a rock on the floor, unpadded rug, 3/4 thermarest, coleman sleeping bag---the last two I found on the side of the road 15 years ago---can't beat the price or the quality of sleep. Alas I had to pay for my truck.

#17 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:26 AM

When men spend the night in the same bed as someone else their sleep patterns are disturbed

you know what...i'm okay with that actually.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#18 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

When men spend the night in the same bed as someone else their sleep patterns are disturbed

you know what...i'm okay with that actually.

Yeah me too, but I think I have overcome any potential problems.

My wife and I have a tempurpedic bed which is wonderful for not transferring motion and in generally making you feel like you are in the womb. Add some melantonin, your choice of GABA agonists (prescription or otherwise) a few other odds and ends and I have just about conquered sleep!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users