• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does Topical Minoxidil on scalp only cause collagen loss in face?

minixidil collagen loss

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 08:16 PM

So

I am wondering this because there seems to be no direct evidence but a lot of anecdotal reports.

In the anecdotal reports a cross section of Minoxidil users seem to be reporting it making them "look older" and it was discovered some time ago that it does block collagen synthesis in the applied areas. 

But none of these anecdotal reports specifies whether it is being applied orally or topically or both. So my assumption was, that perhaps only oral minoxidil causes systemic absorption of the compound enough to block system wide collagen synthesis.

What are your thoughts on this? Both anecdotally and/or Biochemically?

Can topical minoxidil block collagen synthesis system wife or only on the scalp when applied there? 

Edited by TheFountain, 10 June 2023 - 08:18 PM.

#2 Blu

• 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2023 - 08:01 PM

To my knowledge the research shows decreased collagen synthesis at very high dosage, often in vitro. Not really comparable with topical use.

The anecdotes  are about topical use. But I wouldn't bother too much about them.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 08:25 PM

The anecdotes  are about topical use. 

Are they?

The only topical anecdotes I am aware of are guys trying to make their facial hair grow faster.

That I understand but I have a difficult time comprehending why topical applied to the occipital region would cause system wide collagen loss which would translate to the face.

Nevertheless I plan to reduce my usage of topical Minoxidil.

I was not taking it because I was balding, I was taking it because my hair started thinning after a bout of Covid, which I believe the vaccine caused. Maybe, possibly, honestly not sure.

-Me

The anecdotes  are about topical use. 

Are they?

The only topical anecdotes I am aware of are guys trying to make their facial hair grow faster.

That I understand but I have a difficult time comprehending why topical applied to the occipital region would cause system wide collagen loss which would translate to the face.

Nevertheless I plan to reduce my usage of topical Minoxidil.

I was not taking it because I was balding, I was taking it because my hair started thinning after a bout of Covid, which I believe the vaccine caused. Maybe, possibly, honestly not sure.

-Me

#4 Blu

• 40 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 06:13 PM

I think it's just self-delusion. 

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 06:09 PM

I think it's just self-delusion. 

I am not talking about myself. But those with anecdotal claims to that effect

#6 Blu

• 40 posts

Posted 16 August 2023 - 11:08 AM

Yes, I think they see things in the mirror because they have read about these alleged pro-aging effects. So the anecdotes get repeated and amplified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users