• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

People programming machines and machines pogramming people

machines programming

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 11:14 AM

Recently I saw a new toy on the market - a car, which is supposed to introduce the programming to children at the age of 5 and above. What is it about - the toy is a programmable car, with buttons on it. It can be programmed how many times to go forward, then to turn left or right, how many times to go forward after the turn etc. The child is programming rge car. A labyrinth is built from plastic sticks and the programmed car can go through the labyrinth.

https://igra4kite.co...ane-tooko-81471

Sounds familiar? After two hundred meters turn to the left. The navigation systems are actually doing the same - programming the drivers how to reach from point A to point B.

I wonder what do you think about that...

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 05:29 PM

Navigation programs/devices are useful, but I am worried about people becoming dependent upon "the machines". I know people who cannot read a map and could not find their way anywhere (literally) without the help of a mapping/driving program. The same thing is happening with math, spelling, grammar, general information about the world, etc... Are people becoming dumber. I think so. Does it matter? As long as the information is always available, then maybe it is okay if humans cannot think for themselves or if they know nothing about the world.

sponsored ad

• Advert

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: machines, programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users