* * * * * 1 votes

Can lecithin replace Alpha GPC?

alpha gpc lecithin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gediminas Jesinas

• 57 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 06:27 AM

Hello. I have problems with attention and memory as well as insomnia. I do have a mental illness which might be causing that as well. I'm vegan. I think I might be choline deficient. Do I need to supplement with choline or better Alpha GPC, or can I get it from lecithin? I do take various anti aging and attention boosting supplements such as B12, Omega 3, L-theanine, creatine and so on. What else is worth trying?

#2 DaveX

• 84 posts

Posted 15 November 2023 - 01:44 PM

That appears relevant:

https://www.nof.co.j...-gpc/con03.html

Comparing the amount required to ingest "choline", the amount required as α-GPC is 1/4 that of soybean lecithin (PC) expected as a "choline" supplement.

As a "choline" supplement, α-GPC is the most suitable ingredient.

It appears they just make a direct comparison of choline content (in the form of posphatidylcholine or glycerophosphocholine).

However here they are more hesitant about a direct comparison:

Choline supplements in the form of lecithin and choline chloride did not significantly improve memory performance in humans although some papers have reported positive outcomes in cognitive function of animal models (152–156). However, other choline supplements such as citicoline, choline bitartrate, and GPC appear to be very promising in the treatment of elderly patients suffering from dementia (49, 52, 54, 157, 158).

Personally, I've always had noticeable effects from Lecithin (overall wellbeing, maybe some attention benefits), but I'm not able to say if they are the same. I've had Alpha GPC, and it seems to be more intense and focused in its effect, Lecithin seems to have a more whole body-effect. But they have both been a while ago.

Edited by DaveX, 15 November 2023 - 01:58 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Rent this spot in Nootropics Topics to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad).

#3 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 08:26 AM

CDP-choline always felt the best choline source in my experience. It also increases Uridine concentrations which has nootropic properties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users