Photo
- - - - -

Music On The ImmInst Homepage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:00 PM

To attract visitors or, at least, leave an impression on those passing through to come back soon, I suggest putting music on the homepage (Ambient? Classical?) and/or (musical?) sounds attached to tabs and links when they are selected. Of course the music can be turned off if people wish to listen to music off their own playlists :). A poetic recital of an Immortalist nature sung by Adi would definitely beckon visitors to explore ImmInst further in my opinion...

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:14 PM

Interesting oroposal, Adam. [thumb] I wouldn't mind a little light music playing in the background as if beckoning me in further. I would add that there should probably be a clear "mute" button visible so people could turn it off if wanted.

#3 AdamDavis

• Topic Starter
  • 539 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:18 PM

Thanks dude! By the way, when I said "...Of course the music can be turned off if people wish to listen to music off their own playlists..." a mute button was what I was implying [lol].

#4 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:36 PM

Sharing music within reason (copyright concerns) and particularly that which is generated by our own members is fine, so long as it is an OPTION and not automatic. I will often turn away from the site without further adieu.

OTH I will often explore music online when I can select the pieces myself and control the sound. I love music and I think we should spotlight more of our native talent but not as a background to the front page that is on all the time.

I get very annoyed and invariably turn off my speakers before listening when a site force feeds me their idea of background muzak. This is very much a question of taste being in the mind of the beholder and no two people are going to necessarily agree.

#5 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

I agree with Laz.
Enjoy yer trip!

-Infernity

#6 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

Drives me nucking futs to get blasted by music when I first arrive at a site. I find it to be rude and intrusive. A big no-no IMO.

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

I like Laz's suggestion of having it off by default, but then you could turn it on if you wanted. I especially like the idea of having some original music by some of our membership used. I know that there are several musical members. [thumb]

#8 chubtoad

• Life Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:58 AM

Music on a website can be pretty annoying particularly if you have your own music playing at the same time. But if it is optional (and off by default) like Laz suggested I think it would be fine.
By the way, is there a way to turn sound from websites off using firefox or ie?

#9 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:24 AM

I with Laz and Don. Music on a website really turns me off the site. Unless it's Amphetish

#10 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:57 AM

I vote no, even if it would be optional.

#11 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:32 AM

Kudos for being an ideas man bio!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users