• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Living forever can mean suffering forever?

living forever suffering

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 03:24 PM

That's what kinda keeps me hesitant towards therapies that would dramatically increase lifespan. I know healthspan and lifespan are supposed to go hand-in-hand, but given the nature of human life that involves stress, worries and ravages of the old age, I can't help but think that perhaps in some cases it only leads to extended suffering. I mean some people resort of euthanasia to end their misery and see death as a relief. Perhaps I'm not particularly well educated in the topic though and have become overly pessimistic. So feel free to enlighten me.  ;)

#2 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2024 - 08:07 PM

Physical suffering would have to be cured if life is going to be extended. Mental problems might continue.

#3 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 05:18 AM

Physical suffering would have to be cured if life is going to be extended. Mental problems might continue.

I agree, we don't want immortality to turn into a curse instead of blessing. New mental problems may also appear from going to very advanced age and the information overload to the brain. We already have things like dementia to be resolved, which kinda signals evolution hasn't yet "allowed" us to age without difficult challenges. Maybe my worries are a bit far-fetched though, I'll need to have closer look into life-extension and aging theories. So far I've been mostly about biohacking and improvement of brain health and life quality, but like all of us I age too.  :-D

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 06:41 PM

Even if the reasons for suffering are not defeated yet, you will have all of the time in the world to wait and/or to work for the reasons for your suffering to be defeated by the science. So... you will not be suffering at the long last.

• Good Point x 1

#5 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 04:49 AM

Even if the reasons for suffering are not defeated yet, you will have all of the time in the world to wait and/or to work for the reasons for your suffering to be defeated by the science. So... you will not be suffering at the long last.

Good point. I've just had some dystopic scenarios in mind, like someone being kept alive against their will and tortured extensively. And assuming life-extension happens first before eventual immortality, perhaps someone with disabling condition decides to suffer in hopes of a cure in the future and is given some extra years by life-extending therapies but only ends up suffering more and then die. Could be that these scenarios are a bit "out there" but I think there can be certain kind of a dark side to unlimited lifespans.

#6 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 05:08 PM

The opposite path would be permanent bliss and pleasure, which we would all like to see, but is humanity ready for that? It does sound like a dream our primitive brain would try to wake up from. A lot of things need to happen first, in the understanding of human consciousness.

#7 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 05:47 PM

What do you think, that the humanity is ready for? Permanent sorrow  and suffering?

Why do you think, that the humanity is not ready for that? What disturbs you?

• Good Point x 1

#8 Galaxyshock

• Topic Starter
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 02:26 AM

What do you think, that the humanity is ready for? Permanent sorrow  and suffering?

Why do you think, that the humanity is not ready for that? What disturbs you?

I think that certain level of pain, suffering and resultant numbness is the human's comfort zone. There's a nature of never satisfied hunger in this existence, always wanting more. Buddhism is one of the answers to this. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I'll have to think more about these things, you did raise good questions.  :)

#9 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 10:42 PM

Permanent bliss and pleasure would lead to insanity, I believe. There are drugs that can do this but they stop working after a relatively short while. The brain does not accept that. Rats that had an implant that stimulated the pleasure center of the brain pushed the button that gave the electric dose constantly. They would stop eating and drinking, they pressed the button until they died. Samadhi is supposed to be a spiritual state of bliss, I doubt its like the rats pushing the button

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: living forever, suffering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users