- - - - -

Quote Bug

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:52 AM

Ok, I knew that there was a quote bug, but after a PM exchange with Don it seems to be different for different people, so I was just going to clarify for myself (and possibly others).

sample text

Does the above look like a blue box to everyone, or does it look different to anyone? I had just assumed if I put the returns in (make sure the original quote was on a line, and then the last one was on its own line) then it would be ok

As another example,

sample text

Does that look any different? (they both look like blue boxes to me, only the first shows the person's name)

#2 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:55 AM

Anyway, what Don seemed to be saying is that the first one I showed might look like the other instances of the quote bug to some people. (where the [ QUOTE] and [ /QUOTE] text are visible)

Is that the case for other people? They both display correctly to me for some reason

#3 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:46 AM

Live Forever, if you'd be so kind as to refrain from editing your first two comments here, I will demonstrate as many of the quote bugs as I can think of.

#4 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:49 AM

Okay, the first thing I did is click the "QUOTE" button on your first comment (the one that started the topic).

Due to its use of "named quotes", I saw the following junk in my editor window.

BTW, by "named quotes", I mean quotes like {QUOTE=name}

Attached Thumbnails

• quote_bug_1.jpg

#5 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:50 AM

Ack, outta time, I'll be back later tonight.

#6 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:28 AM

Anyway] and [ /QUOTE] text are visible)

Is that the case for other people? They both display correctly to me for some reason

That's a second example of a quote bug. The second bracket on the line (after the word QUOTE) was mistaken as the first bracket, and the first bracket was mistaken as part of the first argument of the quote. The comma after anyway marked the end of the first argument, and the second argument ("what Don seemed to be...") was ignored.

This is what it looked like in the editor:
[QUOTE=Live Forever]Anyway, what Don seemed to be saying is that the first one I showed might look like the other instances of the quote bug to some people. (where the [ QUOTE] and [ /QUOTE] text are visible)

Is that the case for other people? They both display correctly to me for some reason[/QUOTE]

#7 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:32 AM

This is very similar to the first case. Let's say that Live Forever tried to edit his first post, as I've tried in this screenshot. If he then submits this screwed up version of his first post, it'll muck up the formatting of the entire page. Not one of the prettier bugs.

Attached Images

• quote_bug_3.jpg

#8 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:38 AM

Now, here is the classic version of the quote bug that most people mean when they talk about the quote bug:

Hi, my name is Reverof Evil, but you can call me Life Forever

In my next post, I will copy and paste the contents from this editor window, but edit out the "=Live Forever", and you'll see that it's the name that makes the quote bug appear, for some reason.

#9 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 04:38 AM

Now, here is the classic version of the quote bug that most people mean when they talk about the quote bug:

Hi, my name is Reverof Evil, but you can call me Life Forever

In my next post, I will copy and paste the contents from this editor window, but edit out the "=Live Forever", and you'll see that it's the name that makes the quote bug appear, for some reason.

#10 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:40 AM

We should pin this topic.

#11 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

This is informative jay. In my very first post, are the 2 instances of quoting looking ok to you, or are they messed up? (especially the one where I put =Live Forever) They both look fine to me (both have blue boxes), and I was under the impression taht Don was saying that they might look messed up to some people. (although I opened it in IE and in FIrefox and they looked fine in both to me anyway)

I ask because I use that feature a lot, and it appears fine to me, so I didn't know if it appeared messed up to other people, which would be very confusing.

#12 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:44 AM

In general, if it looks okay to you, it probably looks okay to everyone else. This is the first time I've heard that posts will look different to different people (short of embedded objects like animated gifs or movies or something bizarre like that).

#13 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:46 AM

LF, to answer your question, here's what the topic looked like to me (shrunk by 25% to make it reasonable in size).

Attached Thumbnails

• quote_bug_topic.gif

#14 Live Forever

• Topic Starter
  • Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:56 AM

LF, to answer your question, here's what the topic looked like to me (shrunk by 25% to make it reasonable in size).

Ok, good that is what it looks like to me as well. I should have taken a screen shot as well, but I didn't think of it. (you are always thinking, Jay)

So, I will continue to use the quote (like I am using to quote you here) unless I hear otherwise. Sorry for the trouble, I was just confused. Perhaps Don can say if it looks like it does in your screen shot to him.

As a side note, are there any updates about the software update on the horizon, Jay? (I know you have been really busy with your move and all, and I am not trying to be an ass or anything, I was just wondering since we were talking about the quote bug thingy.)

;)

#15 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:58 AM

I've gotten quite a bit done on it in the past couple weeks. It's looking close, at least on the surface. But it still needs some tweaking, and then I need to practice importing the old (i.e., current) database a few times.

Which reminds me, I suppose I should get back to the dungeon and work on it some more...

#16 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:26 AM

Hey Nate,

By no means am I an expert on this quote bug. When I commented on explorer vs firefox I was only speculating based on what I thought you were saying was a descrepancy between what we were seeing. ;)

Anyway, the point which I believe Jay was trying to make (I say believe because I'm getting a headache just thinking about this matter) is that the appearance when you make your post with *name=* is uniformed. That's not the problem.

The problem is when someone else goes to respond to your post using the quote function they get a whole bunch of junk popping up in their reply box. Of course, the repondent can then (1) hit *back* (2) hit *add reply* (3) and then copy/paste the relevant text from your post into their reply box. But this requires them to put in a lot of extra effort all because you were too lazy to just reformat your post minus the *name=*

IOW, for those who "know better", not getting rid of the *name=* is a forum faux pas.

#17 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:09 AM

The problem is when someone else goes to respond to your post using the quote function they get a whole bunch of junk popping up in their reply box. Of course, the repondent can then (1) hit *back* (2) hit *add reply* (3) and then copy/paste the relevant text from your post into their reply box. But this requires them to put in a lot of extra effort all because you were too lazy to just reformat your post minus the *name=*

Don, that one time when you temporarily showed me what I thought was how your screen appeared to you after I had used the quote function as I just did,

[QUOTE=DonSpanton]The problem is when someone else goes to respond to your post using the quote function they get a whole bunch of junk popping up in their reply box. Of course, the repondent can then (1) hit *back* (2) hit *add reply* (3) and then copy/paste the relevant text from your post into their reply box. But this requires them to put in a lot of extra effort all because you were too lazy to just reformat your post minus the *name=*
[/QUOTE]
with a line break immediately following the last quote element (a little compromise to overcome the quote bug in the classic sense (which apparently might not be a bug for some anymore, since earlier I was testing and it worked right but now it doesn't)), and there was all that code mess, I had believed that you were trying to tell me that that was how the post itself looked in the discussion thread to members of admins. And I believed this without thinking much more about it because I didn't think that quoting a post would be the preferred method over simply copying and pasting text, which had always been easier for me: I rarely needed to quote an entire post; if I needed to quote a few sentences that were already grouped together, quoting the whole post and deleting what I didn't need was more work; and if I needed to quote more than one group of sentences, quoting a whole post would give me only one pair of quote tags anyway, which rendered that process still rather pointless.

So perhaps you are the cause of all this. [tung] I never assumed that the quote bug in the code-mess sense could be so much of an issue.

#18 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2006 - 03:31 AM

Don, that one time when you temporarily showed me what I thought was how your screen appeared to you after I had used the quote function as I just did,

Damn it Barna, you're out of your element! Regarding the incident in question, I was just f*cking with you. [lol]

I guess this could be a style thing. I usually like to take the whole post and dissect it. But seriously people, is it so unreasonable to ask everyone to avoid the *name=*?

#19 Guest_admin2_*

• Lurker

Posted 23 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

I've made changes that fix at least two of the ways that quote bugs have been happening in the past. There are still other ways, but I think this is a good start. Please let me know if I made things worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users