Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

http://www.thenutrit.../Free-rads.html

Has anyone had similar experiences?

#2 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:13 PM

http://www.thenutrit.../Free-rads.html

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Although the article appeared intitially rather easy on the science, it did in fact contain good insight, thanks.

In talking with Harman [originator of Free Radica Theory of Aging], I learned that the relationship between free radicals and antioxidants was really one of balance. Now "retired" and professor emeritus of medicine at the University of Nebraska, Omaha, Harman spends at least five full days each week in his office and regularly publishes articles in medical journals. He has a lot of energy for a man about to turn 80.

Harman explained that excessive antioxidants could cause fatigue and muscle weakness. Several years ago, in an experiment, Harman and his colleagues found that large amounts of butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), a synthetic antioxidant, interfered with the ability of mice to produce energy. Although the amount was of BHT was equivalent to 7.5 pounds in a human adult, Harman feels that people can still overdo antioxidants.

"Too many antioxidants can leave you feeling very weak," Harman said. "BHT decreases ATP and mitochondria function." ATP, or adenosine triphosphate, is essential for energy production in the mitochondria, the part of the cell biologists describe as the "energy factory."

I asked Harman whether too many natural antioxidants could also cause fatigue. I was thinking about the 1,600 IU of vitamin E and 100,000 IU of beta-carotene I had been taking for at least 10 years.

Harman was unequivocal. Yes. Just as some experiments have shown that vitamin E supplements increase stamina, there's a point of diminishing returns. And I had inadvertently hit that point.

Also, see somewhat related thread here:

http://www.imminst.o...&hl=compound&s=

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

The guy in the article was seriously MEGAdosing the vitamins. I take 400IU of vit E, 20,000IU of vit A, and 1g of vit C per day. I do however wonder if i'm guilty of megadosing my other antioxidant supplements. I don't take a whole lot of any one (okay except for maybe green tea extract), but I take a huge variety of antioxidant supplements.

Interesting.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

I havent taken anti-oxidants for anti-oxidants sake yet. I do take quite a bit of a-lipoic acid, green tea, and other supplements that can have anti-oxidant effects. I have taken them though, based off of its studied effects, not because they were anti-oxidants. Some of them that I take have later been found beneficial in part due to oxidative effects, so I havent taken a stand on either side of the argument yet. I do lean toward the idea that "anti-oxidant" doesnt mean much by itself. It seems we have more to learn in this area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users