Photo
- - - - -

Nootropics are making by brain fog worse

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daorlando

• 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

Almost every time I start to take a supplement/nootropic that has an affect on my mind (i.e. kava kava, gotu kola, multivitamins(!), valerian, etc.) I seem to develop some kind of dullness or 'brain fog' where I have trouble reading and responding to social situations, keeping up with conversation and comprehending what is going on around me. In a way I would say that the supplements make it difficult for me to keep focused and to normally formulate my thoughts. This problem clears up in a few days after I discontinue their use.

Back in the past days of my drug usage this was very obvious with marijuana, where - after smoking it - I often didn't know how to respond anymore, because my mind simply became completely empty and there was nothing for me to do than to be aware of that and sit still and stare. [glasses]

Now, from what I gather I think I might have a case of ADD (prefrontal cortex and dopamine problem) and that these supplements make it worse by doing something in my prefrontal cortex (or somewhere) that my brain just can't handle.

All this is just speculation though. I really don't have a clue what my problem might really be, so I would be very thankful if anybody else could post his thoughts on this. Thanks!

• Lurker

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

The only thing that comes to mind is high histamine levels. The high histamine type in orthomolecular is known for getting depressed or something like that from taking folic acid. (Someone on another forum said they would have problems with anger from a naturopath injecting them with folic acid.) Folic acid raises histamine levels. You can ask you doctor to take a blood sample and test your histamine levels. You can also try a test on your own but you have to buy some niacin, the flush producing nicotinic acid form of niacin. But you would need a dose of about 25 mg. which may not be that readily available in your local health food store. If you do have high histamine levels than you won't have any use for that form of naicin. So the blood test might be easier.

There was a website I thought I had bookmarked that explained about histamine levels and how to balance them. I can't find it right now but can try a search if you think you want that info.

This is the only thing that would explain why taking a multi-vitamin would cause some problems for anyone. It is only the folic acid that causes problems. Of course if you wanted to try an "off the cuff" test, try taking some folic acid and see how that makes you feel. If that makes you feel weird than have some magnesium and calcium on hand to help to lower your histamine levels.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:14 PM

(i.e. kava kava, gotu kola, multivitamins(!), valerian, etc.) I seem to develop some kind of dullness or 'brain fog' where I have trouble reading and responding to social situations, keeping up with conversation and comprehending what is going on around me. In a way I would say that the supplements make it difficult for me to keep focused and to normally formulate my thoughts. This problem clears up in a few days after I discontinue their use.

First of all kava kava and valerian aren't nootropics at all, I don't know why you mention them at all. They'll of course make your brain fog worse, because both are sedative substances and will try to supress any activity in your brain you're trying to enhance. Kava kava, if I remember correctly, does have some "enhancing" capabilities like making one more sociable and easy-going, but it is still used rather as a sleeping pill than a stimulant. Gotu kola as I understand is bacopa monniera and that is a nootropic, though somebody on this forum mentioned that it should be taken before bedtime because it's acute effects are slightly sedative, but long-term effects nootropic as it improves overall brain functioning. Multivitamins...well that depends which multivitamin you take, but usually vitamins don't show remarkable nootropic activity only if you suffer from somekind of deficiency like from a certain b-vitamin deficiency which can impair memory and concentration.
Though I agree that sometimes nootropics can have an opposite effect, personally I had this with piracetam which made me very sleepy (not what I would expect from a nootropic), actually it seemed very sedating in my case. I guess my brain chemistry just found that it's better off to calm me down. [glasses]

#4 tjcbs

• 155 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:44 AM

This may mean that you have an allergy to a commonly used binder or filler. I would suggest looking at the products which have made you feel this way for a common inactive ingredient. Magnesium Stearate is ubiquitous, but people seem to feel its completely benign.

#5 daorlando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

I probably do have high histamine levels since a single dose of 100mg B-Complex produces a flush in me. I never thought that might be a reason for brain fog, though. Interesting. I've started an Omega 3 supplements yesterday and I'll try to add magnesium/calcium soon. I think all three have a histamine-lowering effect.

Filler theory is interesting too, yet some stuff that makes my brain fog worse is filler-free - like Kava Kava, Gotu Kola, etc. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I'll report how histamine-lowering process goes.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

I don't know about the essential fatty acids on histamine level. But, they are good for you anyway.

SAMe is usually good for people with high histamine levels. You might consider researching that. Usually with high histamine levels the orthomolecular approach is to use methionine, calcium, magnesium, etc. (meaning some more nutrients still). SAMe contains methionine, so they have similar actions. But I know that methionine is cheaper. Some say to cycle the methionine, something like 5 days on and 2 days off.

You actually have a sulfur deficiency or a problem with sulfation. Methionine and SAMe are both sources of suflur. Good vegetable sources of sulfur are hot peppers, onion, garlic, brussel sprouts, foods considered to be smelly basically. But meat and animal protein are excellent sources of sulfur. The sulfation is the other method your body rids itself of excess histamine. Methylation is the other. SAMe is known for boosting methylation.

You want to stop taking that b complex because it is not good for you. You want to avoid folic acid, niacin (nicotinic acid which produces the flush) and perhaps b12. Some say to have your b12 levels checked or something. But b12 can also raise your histamine levels. Taking b12 is not so clear cut though. But you should still consider taking all those other b vitamins but separately since you can't take a b complex.

If you have high histamine levels then you need to avoid multi-vitamins too. Anything with folic acid and nicotinic acid should be avoided. Use the other forms of niacin.

Another way to lower histamine levels is with amylase. This is a digestive enzyme for carbohydrates. This lowers my histamine levels, which is what I read it does. Tyler makes an amylase concentrate; that is the only one I know about for a concentrate of just amylase. You can use a broad spectrum enzyme with amlyase too. But amylase might be something to try if you want to feel what it is like when your histamine levels drop.

Balancing my histamine levels was the easiest part of using an orthomolecular approach to supplementing. I have low levels though. I could feel myself get congested, meaning the saliva in my throat would get thick and tight, when my histamine levels dropped. I reached a point of having too much histamine, after the loading phase was done, and I felt a number of changes from having high histamine levels. I had some depression (rather dark depression briefly), my appetite was through the roof and my skin was always itchy. It seems pretty easy, once you get a sense about your histamine levels, to tell when your histamine levels are changing. And most people may realize that when histamine levels rise the most likely thing to happen is sneezinng.

It is possible to balance your histamine levels, meaning you can get them to a normal level and keep them their with lower doses of supplements. That is possible, but it may take some time though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users