Photo
- - - - -

High levels of arsenic (in a person)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:09 AM

I know of someone (no, not me) who has on two seperate urine tests has come up with high levels of arsenic. He's gone through all the usual sources (and no, as far as we can tell, no one is trying to poison him). Anyone have any ideas? He does take a large number of supps (including 1fast400's chocamine). Does anyone know if any supps are more likely then others to be comtaminated?

Thanks.

#2 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

Sounds like that the supplements are the bad guys. About something else about arsenic, from what I know this is a natural mineral in our bodies. Am I correct about this? What are the role of arsenic in our body?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

Well water often has high levels of arsenic and has to be treated with filters/softeners. He should have his running water tested at the point of the tap and the source if possible. It is doubtful it is supplements and very, very likely it is his water source.

#4 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

Well water often has high levels of arsenic and has to be treated with filters/softeners. He should have his running water tested at the point of the tap and the source if possible. It is doubtful it is supplements and very, very likely it is his water source.

Looks like you are correct--I found a map of arsenic in ground water and his area is in a hot spot.

Thanks.

• Lurker

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

The problem with heavy metals for me is not the specific heavy metal or the source it may have come from, but the fact that the body is storing it. Some people have a problem and their body has a tendency to store heavy metals. There is not enough research, in my opinion, on this problem which has to do with these proteins referred to as MT for short (metallotheonein). This protein does not function properly in some and does not facilitate the excrection of all heavy metals from the body. William Walsh of the Pfeiffer Institute is the main person doing research in this area. There is no test for this yet, but Walsh recommends having blood levels of zinc, copper and ceruloplasmin checked. It seems that taking a certain dose of zinc is supposed to trigger this protein to start doing its job of excreting these metals. So, a zinc deficiency can cause people to store all heavy metals that they come in contact with.

There are mothers on other forums who talk about the mercury their kids are storing in their bodies, and these are usually male children. It seems that testosterone can suppress this protein somehow.

I happen to think we can be exposed to heavy metals from many different sources making it hard to know what metals we are getting from various aspects of our environment. I have read that some plants may take up some metals if the soil is deficient in some needed minerals. This site says that fish may be contaminated with arsenic.

http://www.nzfsa.gov...senic/index.htm

It is like the cold. We come in contact with germs all the time, but if your immune system is weak you will get a cold. And NOT because you sat next to someone who had a cold and sneezed in your direction. Our environment is laced with toxins and sometimes our bodies don't handle those toxins as well as we think they should. Everyone can be exposed to these metals but only some people seem to build up levels in the body that are not healthful. The solution, I think, is look at the body's ability to deal with these toxins and metals we are exposed to all the time. Poor nutrition can make people vulnerable to not dealing with these toxins appropriately.

#6 scottl

• Topic Starter
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

Welll turns out that he does not use well water so that cannot be the source.

He does not eat hardly any fish either (takes fish oil).

Ortho he does take extra zinc and all the other heavy metals came back negative.

#7 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:06 AM

It is like the cold. We come in contact with germs all the time, but if your immune system is weak you will get a cold. And NOT because you sat next to someone who had a cold and sneezed in your direction.

well I guess we can throw the germ theory of disease out the window

#8 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:24 AM

Sweet mercy, man! All you need is a constant dose of good ol' fashioned "Zinc", the wonder supplement. [thumb]

#9 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:29 AM

It's the secret ingredient in Protandim.

• Lurker

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

Sweet mercy, man! All you need is a constant dose of good ol' fashioned "Zinc", the wonder supplement. [thumb]

A zinc deficiency can cause more problems than most people realize. Storing heavy metals in the body is not something to take lightly.

"Zinc turns on metallothionein's ability to provide protection against infections, toxic chemicals and other stressors, according to earlier tests Cousins and other researchers conducted on animals."
source:
http://www.napa.ufl....98news/zinc.htm

I would still think that arsenic must be in this person's environment rather than contaminating the supplements he has taken. Arsenic was banned from being used in pressure treated wood not that long ago. It is used by different industries and is found in some pesticides.

This article has some interesting information about arsenic.

http://www.beyondpes..._old_spaces.pdf

#11 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

Pressure-treated wood is no joke -- if I recall correctly, an average 2x4 contains enough arsenic to kill 20 people. It is thought to be the largest source of arsenic exposure for the majority of Americans. Most children's playgrounds are made with this wood, as well as everyone's decks where they eat outdoor meals. Nice huh?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:21 PM

Some city waters can be tainted with arsenic and if he is predisposed to storing it than it's worth 1. testing the water at the source 2. Checking the city water reports (supposed to be sent to you quarterly) for arsenic levels. I've known city water people have this problem, depending on the source of the reservoir, the water table around it/piping/house, piping itself, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users