• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Billboard?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:29 AM

It would be far more effective to take an add out in a targeted publication like Scientific American.

Yep. Targeted, professional looking ads placed in a well respected scientific journals is the type of advocacy the life extension movement should begin to engage in.

#32 stephen

• 202 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:35 AM

Billboards are not cheap (at least relative to what this place can afford) far more effective to take an add out in a targeted publication like Scientific American.

I usually agree with your thoughts, duke, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as an advertising channel.

Consider the costs of billboard ads vs. the cost of newspaper ads. A single DAY in the LA Times runs $70,000, while billboards range from $700 to $2,500 for a MONTH. I would assume that costs for monthly scientific journals might be even higher. Honestly, FAR BEYOND what ImmInst's budget will ever afford.

Compared to that, billboards are chump change. And they tend to offer a sense of legitimacy. Maybe it's just because I've memorized all the ones in Atlanta due to traffic (and I barely glance at ads in journals and print media). The volume of eyes that go by some of these is beyond belief.

ImmInst is lucky... we don't have a complex message. We don't need to explain things with little graphs and lots of text. I think the problem for most people is they've never even had *exposure* to the idea of [legitimate] immortality. A billboard with a simple message might be the perfect way to spread the meme.

#33 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:04 AM

I agree with you stephen, the amount of exposure per $ is something that perhaps should be weighed.

Also, the different strategies focus on different segments of the population. In the case of scientific journals, scientists who probably already know of our ideas are the ones being targeted to try and gain their support, but in the case of more "shotgun approaches" (billboards, commercials, etc.) the general public who probably knows little to nothing about our ideas are the ones being targeted. The message would need to be taylored to the audience to achieve optimal results. These are, of course, two different strategies ("quality" vs. "quantity", as it were), and an important conversation to have. The right decision might be an overall strategy that encorporated aspects of both.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:43 AM

Stephen

A single DAY in the LA Times runs $70,000, while billboards range from $700 to $2,500 for a MONTH. I would assume that costs for monthly scientific journals might be even higher.

Stephen, your willingness to speculate without adequate information surprises me.

Molecular Biology of the Cell (monthly publication): Full Page $1,500

Remember what they say about assuming. It makes an ASS out of U and ME. [lol]

#35 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:54 AM

Ad rates are based on a number of factors. Many of the popular publications with the highest subscription rates sell ad space regionally and this lowers the price substantially. With the smaller publications there are no regions so the prices are usually still comparable. And then there are also such things as placement, # of colors, style, etc etc.

The LA Times is not germane to this conversation. For a number of reasons it's a completely different animal.

#36 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:03 AM

It makes an ASS out of U and ME.

Okay, I'm an obnoxious **shole.

#37 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:08 AM

Billboards are not cheap (at least relative to what this place can afford), and I really think they are misplaced money.  It would be far more effective to take an add out in a targeted publication like Scientific American.

Seeing so many people actually get excited about this idea really shows how much this place needs experienced marketing guidance.

Ahh...marketing guidance...what can "this place" afford?

First off, would ImmInst pay for an ad to promote the Mprize? If not, then who will? Circuit blue's aging sciences non profit upstart? http://www.imminst.o...=142&t=11784&s=

I am excited about this idea because there is some creative energy from Anne, centurion, and stephen that has resulted in a few different viable products to promote interest in the Mprize. Where to market this product is the topic of debate (notice the topic is called billboard? -- with a question mark at the end).

What is the cost of an advertisement in Scientific American? If that is where we want to place the ad, I imagine it will still be quite expensive...the cost will be contingent on what page the ad is on, whether it's full page or part, etc.

#38 stephen

• 202 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:54 AM

Molecular Biology of the Cell (monthly publication):  Full Page $1,500

I'm actually quite surprised. Of course, the difficulty with a scientific publication (as mentioned on their website), is that the advertisement must be germane and approved by their editorial staff. Getting our advertisement approved might be a "chicken and egg" scenario -- it's not going to happen until we have widespread scientific support, which won't happen until we take out an advertisement, which won't happen until... ad infinitum. There are a number of issues that make specific scientific journals difficult advertising venues for radical new ideas.

The LA Times is probably similar in terms of readership to the upper range of a billboard ($2,500) placed in a metro area like Atlanta.

Scientific American charges $42,900 for a one-page ad.

I'd still say that billboards are most definitely a reasonable alternative for spreading a simple meme.

#39 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:42 AM

Stephen

I'm actually quite surprised.  Of course, the difficulty with a scientific publication (as mentioned on their website), is that the advertisement must be germane and approved by their editorial staff.

Absolutely correct. Within science, radical paradigm shifts don't happen over night. Credibility comes with endorsements from respected scientists, which is the reason that the recent SENS challenge results and the Haseltine m-prize donation are worth their weight in gold. Our credibility (and thus leverage) continues to grow. And with enough leverage we will gain access to (one, then two, then many) mainstream publications, and eventually (we hope) this will result in us becoming the maintstream.

I'd still say that billboards are most definitely a reasonable alternative for spreading a simple meme.

My opinion straight up - it's a waste of money. I hate to be the party pooper, but billboards and other types of mass marketing are putting the carriage before the horse.

#40 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:11 AM

Also, the different strategies focus on different segments of the population. In the case of scientific journals, scientists who probably already know of our ideas are the ones being targeted to try and gain their support

Right now most scientists have this exceedingly vague notion that we're kooks. I'll never forget the time when my cell&molec professor briefly mentioned Aubrey in passing as "that nut job who wants to live forever". The mainstream notices us as a blip on Tech Review - in one ear, out the other. *Constant presence* in molecular biology memespace breeds familiarity among biologist. This familiarity leads in turn to a higher probability of gaining acceptance.

#41 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:33 AM

Right now most scientists have this exceedingly vague notion that we're kooks.  I'll never forget the time when my cell&molec professor briefly mentioned Aubrey in passing as "that nut job who wants to live forever".  The mainstream notices us as a blip on Tech Review - in one ear, out the other.  *Constant presence* in molecular biology memespace breeds familiarity among biologist.  This familiarity leads in turn to a higher probability of gaining acceptance.

Don: I agree 100 percent that constant presence will make these ideas more familiar to biologists...however, what about dudes like you or I?

Modern medical research already knows that we start with animals, then move to humans. We can do stuff in test tubes (in vitro) as well, but that does not tell us much for sure what will (or wont) happen in a living organism.

I think the idea is quite simple: the Mprize is the only research that is devoted to finding methods to extend the lifespans of mice...once we know what works for mice, we can try to extrapolate these results to humans. Modern medicine believes that if we can cure diseases such as cancer, etc. that will lead us to longer lifespans...and this may be true in some respects. However, if we can isolate methods to extend the span of healthy human life regardless of disease, you can bet everyone who could afford it would want to have it! CR ain't easy!

This idea is universally acceptable, so I think a campaign on college campuses would be easy to implement as well. All we need is a "cool and sexy" flyer. I'm not an artist, but I can spread these message around UCSD.

What would be even more bad ass would be if Duke could make a game about an immortal mouse! Somehow I don't think the audience would believe that they could literally use their "mouse" to "be a mouse." Maybe the mouse could have some kind of super powers or something...like if you left click, the mouse could shoot a gun and right click a more powerful bomb? If you beat the game, the mouse wins an exquisite assortment of cheeses from around the world of the highest quality -- the combination of which makes the mouse achieve immortality. LOL.

Edited by nootropikamil, 14 August 2006 - 05:44 AM.

#42 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

If bang for your buck is what we're after then internet based advertising is a start. Such as in other forums and websites etc. Although it's hard to measure, personal word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool. At a friend's dinner party last week, I brought up the immortality institute in the course of normal discussion about the meaning of life, etc. A lot of people were very interested and the rest had to listen as a matter of etiquette.

#43 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

Immortality is the ultimate aspiration.

#44 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

Posted Image

This is sort of what I was thinking...

Where have you been all my life

centurion: Anne is already "taken." If you become a Full member of ImmInst you can learn more...there is a pic of her boyfriend up in the Full member section.

#45 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

As I understand it, centurion is "taken" as well. I think he perhaps might have just been joking around.

#46 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:48 PM

lol I think I have been misunderstood here. If I were to communicate romantic interest (which I'm unlikely to do toward someone I have never met) I wouldn't be so cliché about it. It was more intended as a compliment about her billboard work. Sort of similar to saying to someone "you are a genius" when they discover something important.

#47 Anne

• 182 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:29 AM

I figured it was a joke / compliment as well. And I took it as such. ;)

#48 stephen

• 202 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:30 AM

lol I think I have been misunderstood here. If I were to communicate romantic interest (which I'm unlikely to do toward someone I have never met) I wouldn't be so cliché about it. It was more intended as a compliment about her billboard work. Sort of similar to saying to someone "you are a genius" when they discover something important.

where have YOU been all my life? speak imperative directives to me, el capitan... [sfty]

#49 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:50 AM

where have YOU been all my life? speak imperative directives to me, el capitan... [sfty]

Haha...come now, he may be more diplomatic, but he's not nearly as saucy as Kirk.

#50 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:01 AM

Back on topic, how about a billboard in the heart of Silicon Valley with the URL "http://www.sens.org/IBGcase.htm" and the message "Tell your billionaire friends".

#51 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:00 AM

I wish I had some billionaire friends. I'm sure I could convince them to give at the least a million or 2 to the MPrize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users