Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

L-Phenylalanine and L-Theanine Dosing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 krazyj

• 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:52 PM

Wow! I felt great today and I definitely feel like it has to do with the L-Phenylalanine and L-Theanine I took this morning.

I tried taking an attack/test dosage of 500mg L-Theanine to see if it had the effects I desired. It did and now I feel like I could/will lower the dosage a little. I also took 1000mg L-Phenylalanine but I have yet to decide if it was related to that.

so..

1.) For L-Phenylalanine, what is a standard dosage? too much?
2.) For L-Theanine, what is a standard dosage? too much?
3.) Are either of these toxic if taken for too long or in too high dosages?
4.) How and when do I take these (empty stomach, etc)? Multiple times daily?
5.) Phenylalanine or Tyrosine?
6.) If I got good results from these, are there any other nootropics/aminos I can try for better results?

Thanks!

#2 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

Would you describe bit in detail how it felt? I'm considering experimenting with it also.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

Isolated amino acids can be quite effective. I use L-Phenylalanine and Tyrosine

It's best take these on an empty stomach away from other competing amino acid, specifically Large Neutral Amino Acids (LNAA) to avoid competitive inhibition accross the blood brain barrier (BBB). The 5 LNAAs are Tyrosine, Phenylalanine, Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine.

So take either Tyrosine or L-Phenylalanine but not both. I have heard of dosages as high as 4-5g of Tyrosine but it's usually taken at about 1000mg. L-Phenylalanine is also at about 1000mg

Of course you can take more than one dose. I would make sure that they are taken at least 3 hours after your last meal and 1 hour before your next.

Happy HaPpy HapPY

#4 krazyj

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for that zoolander. Ive been taking them together.

It seems to be a pain in the ass to be taking 2 amino acids that require waiting 2-3 hrs after your last meal and 30-60min before your next. Am I basically going to have to plan all my meals around taking these? Any suggestion to all the timings?

Also why Tyrosine AND Phenylalanine?

Finally, what dosages do you reccomend of Theanine? Also, do you recommend Theanine or an alternative (since it can get expensive)?

#5 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

I haven't use theanine. I drink quite a bit of tea though.

The easiest dosing option is to take the isolated amino acid as soon as you wake up. That way the last meal you had was 8 hours ago.

Why take these amino acids? They are precursors to important neurotransmitters of the catecholamine type (dopamine, noradrenaline and adrenaline)

Phenylalanine ------>Tyrosione---->L-DOPA------>Dopamine-->Noradreanline and adrenaline

#6 krazyj

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

Yes but why combine Phenylalanine with Tyrosine? Wouldnt that be repetative since one produces the other?

Also what how much and how often do you does these (ie 500mg 2x every 8 hrs... 1000mg 3x every 4 hrs, etc)?

And, Im also trying to figure out how often to dose theanine (ie every 4 hrs, 8hrs, etc) if you happen to have any suggestions on that too? (Im trying to find the halflife of theanine in the body but cant find that information anywhere)

Edited by krazyj, 14 August 2006 - 07:05 PM.

#7 krazyj

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:57 PM

Also, on this combination, I felt it easier to speak and more sociable. I also noticed, ironically, that my voice seemed a little deeper which I think maybe could be related to me being more relaxed and not as wound up and anxious as I normally am. Could be just me or placebo but it works, Im happy.

#8 krazyj

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:29 PM

Bump for answers to when to take?

#9 magnanyme

• 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

After experiences, the best combination I found for those 3 is:
- at wake up : 500mg Tyrosine + 500mg Phenyl + 100mg Theanine + multivitamin (C + B6 are important with Tyro and Phenyl)
- 30 min. before lunch: same
- 30 min. before dinner: same
Those 3 well taken can make you feel really great. Theanine is really a great stuff and I particularly like Now Food’s one with decaf green tea

#10 tjcbs

• 155 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:31 AM

Isn't phenylaline neurotoxic when taken in isolation? For people who take it, what is your rationale for ignoring all the toxicity warnings?

#11 magnanyme

• 14 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

I started nootropics very recently so I'm not aware of all warnings and bad combinations... Please kindly inform me about it... would it be better not to take it ? What "in isolation" mean ? Sorry for bad english

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Isn't phenylaline neurotoxic when taken in isolation? For people who take it, what is your rationale for ignoring all the toxicity warnings?

Could you provide referenes to these warnings please? Thanks :)
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users