#1 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:34 PM

http://www.news.com....18-1243,00.html

Scientist celebrates cold snap decision

By Mark Dunn

August 26, 2006 01:04am
Article from: Herald-Sun

AUSTRALIA'S first cryogenic centre will be built by a scientist who wants to deep-freeze his parents and himself after they die.

Biologist Philip Rhoades has won approval from health authorities to build the complex - believed to be only the third in the world.

Mr Rhoades, 54, told the Herald Sun he believed future medical advances would bring them back to life in coming centuries.

He has already spent $650,000 developing plans for underground storage at Cowra, 200km west of Sydney, and hopes to start building on the 60ha site within six months.

continued: http://www.news.com....18-1243,00.html

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

Wow. Cryonics is getting some good press recently....and spreading around the world. I thought I would see developments like this in my lifetime, just not this soon.

#3 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:40 PM

I'm very happy about this news. Will be even happier the day they build one in WA. Hopefully I can get some cryonics insurance soon and the centre will take and freeze samples of my various cells.

#4 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:26 PM

Sweet! You got to love the spread of cryonics availability.

#5 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:47 AM

I suspect Australian cryonicists also realize that in the coming years they can't depend on getting air transportation to the U.S. in a timely manner because of deteriorating oil supplies.

#6 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:05 AM

There should be a cryonics center next door to every hospice and emergency room.

#7 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:06 AM

Another article on it:
http://www.smh.com.a...6012772503.html

That was linked from digg:
http://www.digg.com/...nts_and_himself

I wish they would use the word cryonics instead of cryogenics, but I guess you can't have everything.

#8 dangerousideas

• 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:51 AM

In this news article I see the first mention of the suspension of Thomas Donaldson, a long time cryonicist and (formerly) frequent contributor to Cryonet. I had of course suspected he was making final arrangements for his suspension when he dropped out of sight in January. While I am sad to learn of his deanimation, I am pleased that he was suspended and hope that his forsight and proactive approach allowed the circumstances of his suspension to be as optimal as possible - an example that we could all learn from.

#9 jonano

• 472 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:18 AM

Can you tell me more about the deanimation of Thomas Donaldson ?

What`s deanimation for you ?

#10 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

Wow, that's great!

#11 AgentNyder

• 166 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:30 PM

It's a good start, and hopefully they can get more funding and expand the centre so as to open it up to more people who wish to become cryonically preserved.

In Australia, the only option for immortalists at the moment is to arrange to have your remains flown overseas, which may indeed be very difficult.

One other thing about cryonics, is the timing of your death is very important. It helps that you live near the cryonics facility before you die and have some kind of prior arrangement to get you cryonically preserved immediately upon death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users