Photo
- - - - -

Sedative effect of nicotinamide (B3) ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danodare

• 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

Hello, my first post, although I have spent a lot of time reading here.

I am looking for a good multivitamin, and I am wondering about B3. Niacin/nicotinic acid is clearly not that good to take every day (vasodilator and hepatotoxic). Niacinamide/nicotinamide appears to be safer for long term use.

Problem:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....6&dopt=Abstract

I am aware that the doses used on the gerbils are huge and do not in any way correspond to the amount in a typical multivitamin, but... how important is the sedative effect of nicotinamide in humans ?

The multivitamin I want to buy is manufactured by Nutraceutical corp under the brand Solaray and contains:

B1 - thiamine nitrate - 7.5 mg
B2 - riboflavine - 8.5 mg
B3 - nicotinamide - 100 mg (four-five times the RDA...)
B5 - pantothenic acid - 50 mg
B6 - pyridoxine chlorhydrate - 10 mg
B8 - biotin - 150 mcg
B9 - folic acid - 200 mcg
B12 - cyanocobalamin - 30 mcg
C - ascorbic acid - 300 mg
Choline bitartrate - 75 mg
Inositol - 75 mg
PABA - 7.5 mg

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Danodare

• Lurker

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

I used to take 5 grams of niacin a day for almost two years to raise my low histamine levels. Now my histamine levels are in balance I don't take that dose anymore. (Five grams is not the highest dose that I have read about either.) I don't agree with that conclusion that taking nicotinic acid every day in amounts more than recommended is bad for you. It can effect your liver enzymes in high doses if you have a blood test done. But it has real therapuetic uses.

The Hubbard method uses high doses of nicotinic acid to clear out toxins from the body. (And yes the Hubbard method means it was developed by L. Ron Hubbard.)

Niacin is an important nutrient in the orthomolecular approach. If you take a high dose like 1,000 mg. or perhaps even 500 mg. it can have a sedative effect. I don't mean you should not operate a vehicle but it can be helpful to take at night so the flush may happen after you have fallen asleep.

I would suggest you look into a separate b12 in sublingual form.

FYI, the b6 dose is also 5 times the recommended amount. Those amounts are not that critical because these are water soluable nutrients.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

The Hubbard method uses high doses of nicotinic acid to clear out toxins from the body. (And yes the Hubbard method means it was developed by L. Ron Hubbard.)

Orthomolecular: I hope you are kidding when you write about Hubbard's "method."

• Lurker

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

I read about this in a book on allergies (first link). It was used in Michigan back in maybe the 1970's. There was a accident where this chemical BPPs (similiar I think to PCBs) got into the food supply for the farm animals. People in the area were eating and drinking milk and meat from these animals before they realized what happened.

The Hubbard method was used on these people. It works on the fatty tissues where some toxins are stored. There was documented reports of how these peoples' levels of toxins were significantly reduced after using this method.

http://www.satori-5....xification.html

http://www.detoxacad...d...d michigan"

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 dogbarf

• 31 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:16 AM

I think I heard about that... it reduces the levels of ancient alien souls in your body as well. But first you have to pay for numerous "nicotinic auditing sessions."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users