Photo
- - - - -

Anybody use pregnenolone?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:25 AM

Anybody use with good results for cognition?

#2 pikatchu

• 20 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 12:03 AM

I do use it as it's good for stress, mood and articulation pain. It's also good for dexterity, reaction time and vision... 200mg of it is the best thing I actually found to challenge my kids playing StarCraft... one of them is top 100 worldwide ranked... of course I do a lot better but still always loosing :( Colors perception is also noticeably increased. It’s supposed to be good for memory and focus but in my case I can not tell that I get any result in those fields.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rhakshasa

• 136 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

I do use it as it's good for stress, mood and articulation pain. It's also good for dexterity, reaction time and vision... 200mg of it is the best thing I actually found to challenge my kids playing StarCraft... one of them is top 100 worldwide ranked... of course I do a lot better but still always loosing :( Colors perception is also noticeably increased. It’s supposed to be good for memory and focus but in my case I can not tell that I get any result in those fields.

Who is he? I play starcraft a lot and I am also very good at it. If he's good I should know him.

#4 brutale

• 62 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:41 PM

My first use of pregnenolone was as part of LE's Cognitex formulation. I had been using Cognitex w/o Pregnenolone with nice results (it seemed), and I decided to try the version with pregnenolone.

The first dose provided a bit less than 17mg of pregnenolone, and I found myself distinctly and uncharacteristically irritable. I was surprised to have such an effect from a seemingly small dose. I generally tolerate supplements (with the exception of carnosine) and medicines quite well.

I decided to take lower dose (10mg.) pregnenolone separately, and return to the pregnenolone-free variant of Cognitex. I tolerated the 10mg dose without any noticeable effect on mood. My skin seems a bit more oily/ less dry -- but it is difficult to measure.

As far as nootropic effects, I've noticed absolutely zero. With ALA + Alcar, I get greater visual clarity and an energy boost. Cognitex (which contains, among various ingredients, alpha GPC and ashwaghanda (evidently a mild acetylcholine uptake inhibitor)) + racetams make colors brighter and improve my awareness of music, for example. So, I do respond to nootropics generally. But I can't say that pregnenolone did a thing for me, except possibly affect my skin.

It may well be that my dosage is inadequate to produce meaningful effects, but I'm hesitant to blast away with something which can alter hormone balance without carefully following hormone levels, before and after. So, I stopped taking pregnenolone after a few weeks. My suspicion is that pregnenolone produces highly individual responses since it can be converted into a large number of different hormones. Some assume that conversion takes place "as needed" but I don't know that there is any evidence for this claim. I'm not arguing that pregnenolone is harmful - only that we don't know very much and individual responses, always variable, might be especially so in the case of this agent.

I'm going to a well known health spa/preventive medicine clinic this coming weekend, and will have a comprehensive look at my hormone levels. That will form the basis for a sound plan, I hope.

#5 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

I started 25mg DHEA and 30 mg pregnenolone last week. So far no noticable effects (except i'm bit more sleepy but it's probably due to weather changes)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

I did use both DHEA and pregnenolone for a short periode of time. It gave me skin problems like I was 16 again, even with the smallest amounts. Probably it does convert agressivly into DHT in my case. I still have all my hair though :)

The odd thing is that 7-keto DHEA (or 7-oxo as it is called sometimes) does the same, however the rate seems to be lower.

Anyway, this stuff is not for me. And knowing what I know now, I would not mess with this stuff unless I would have the proper bloodwork done, especially PSA.
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users