• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Methuselah Mouse Prize

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 05:55 AM

Kurzweil & Haseltine Support MMPrize

Both William Haseltine and Ray Kurzweil have committed to
support the Methuselah Mouse Prize, a project focused on finding a
cure for the disease of aging. You can help!

Posted Image

William Haseltine of Human Genomic Sciences Supports the Methuselah Mouse Prize
November 24, 2003

William Haseltine has become the latest to support the Methuselah Mouse Prize. We are very pleased that the Chairman and CEO of Human Genome Sciences has joined us by making a personal donation and becoming donor.

His generous contribution is a very welcome endorsement from one of the most respected names in the biotech field. We at the Methuselah Foundation are committed to justifying his faith and that of everyone else who has so generously given to see an end to aging.

Dr. Haseltine is at the forefront in the rejuvenation of the body chairing most recently The Fourth Annual Conference on Regenerative Medicene. As well you can hear an inspiring presentation here which he gave at the The International Association of Biomedical Gerontology 10th Congress where he describes how amazing medical advances are sure to change how we view aging and disease.

SOURCE: http://www.methuselahmouse.org/news/

Posted Image

Ray Kurzweil - Honored Inventor and Visionary of the Future Supports and Endorses the Methuselah Mouse Prize
December 12, 2003

The Methuselah Mouse Prize proudly welcomes Ray Kurzweil as one of our early supporters. With the development of numerous firsts in technology such as optical- character and text-to-speech recogntion, as well as the music synthesizer, Kurzweil was honored with the nation's highest award possible, the National Medal of Technology, by President Clinton in 2000.

This strong advocate for the developement of Artificial lntelligence has chosen to place his name with others like Dr. Bill Haseltine in supporting the Prize. That these leaders in their fields, endorse and support The Prize is a strong indication that reversing aging is an idea whose time has come. We share this conviction with them. Aging is one of the most significant roadblocks to human progress and we are dedicated to seeing it removed.

SOURCE: http://www.methusela...ws/Kurzweil.htm

In my humble and entirely biased opinion, this is a very important effort that Aubrey de Grey and his team are making. For further information on the good that research prizes do, read:

http://www.betterhum...ID=2003-05-05-2

Fundamental anti-aging research is in the doldrums, and needs invigorating. Time and time again, research prizes have proven their worth in stimulating growth in a field of scientific endeavor. The return on investment is amazingly large.

This Methuselah Mouse prize is a first step towards engaging and interesting those with much, much more money: a later goal would be setting up multi-million-dollar prizes for proven interventions in the human aging process. If it does well, we will all live that much longer. Reinvigorating real, meaningful scientific anti-aging research is a vital goal.

I wholeheartedly encourage you all to contribute; this is probably the best opportunity most of you will see to leverage affordable dollar amounts into extending your lives. I can't overemphasise how important this is: I personally know of hundreds of thousands of dollars waiting in the wings to see how this prize does, and I have to be the least connected person in this industry.

In the grand tradition of money and mouths, I just donated in $1000 to the prize on behalf of the Longevity Meme. I wish I was wealthier and could do more.

So come on, step up to the plate and show us all that these lists can do more than talk about life extension!

Reason
http://www.exratio.com/

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-extropians@extropy.org
> [mailto:owner-extropians@extropy.org]On Behalf Of Aubrey de Grey
> Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 12:57 PM
> To: extropians@extropy.org
> Cc: ag24@gen.cam.ac.uk
> Subject: Methuselah Mouse Prize for world record oldest mouse
>
>
>
> Hi all,
>
> This is to let you know about a new initiative designed to further the
> development of truly effective anti-aging interventions, by promoting
> public interest and involvement in research on mammalian life extension
> and by encouraging more such research to be done. It's called the
> Methuselah Mouse Prize, and it will be launched at the American Aging
> Association conference on Sunday June 8th (11:45am at the Harbor Court
> Hotel, 550 Light Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21202-6099), where we will
> make the inaugural award to Andrzej Bartke.
>
> In brief, it is a prize for producing the world's longest-ever-lived
> mouse. The amount awarded is determined by the size of the prize fund,
> to which anyone can contribute, and by the margin by which the record
> is broken. For more details see the Prize site:
>
> http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/mmp/
>
> The two things that the prize needs in its early stages are publicity
> and donors. Even though we will not be trying to get huge sums into
> the prize fund for a while, having a lot of small donations will add
> considerable credibility to the enterprise. Contributions can be made
> up-front (by credit card online) unless they are big (over $25,000) in
> which case we are taking legally-bound pledges. All donors will be
> listed on the Prize web site unless they prefer to remain anonymous.
>
> Please publicise this initiative in any way you can!
>
> Cheers, Aubrey de Grey
> Dept. Genetics, U. Cambridge, UK

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 10:57 AM

Reason,

ImmInst has donated $100.00 to the Methuselah Mouse Prize to bring more attention to the fight to end death and aging.

Thanks,
Bruce Klein

#3 reason

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 08:28 AM

ImmInst has donated $100.00 to the Methuselah Mouse Prize to bring more attention to the fight to end death and aging.

Good job :)

Now I know there are people reading this with good salaries, so get out there and donate, you guys.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org
http://www.longevitymeme.org/

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 reason

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:06 PM

So now that I've got the first pass of telling people about the prize out of the way, how to publicize it effectively to a wider and useful audience? A few items:

1) I've asked Bruce to come up with a tasteful flash banner for various sites. There's plenty of artwork to steal over at the prize site.

2) It was suggested to me that I should garner a list of bio departments at universities around the country/world and mail the appropriate people with a notice of the prize. Give the bio students something to work towards in the same way that the more technical people have prizes galore.

3) I need an "in" to the LEF. I should just call up their offices and bug them about it. They should a) donate, b) publicize, and c) be thinking about setting up their own prize. It's right up their alley. As it is, I'm sure the existence of this prize hasn't percolated into their sphere of attention yet.

(I need to get someone over there signed up to my newsletter, I really do...)

4) More journalists to prod with this as a story idea. Who writes about this stuff on a regular basis beyond Chris Mooney and Ronald Bailey?

5) I'm looking for ideas from you lot. Chip in.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#5 Discarnate

• 160 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 08:17 PM

You MIGHT find an interested ear in US News' John Leo, who has apparently pretty much free reign in his editorials. Usually used to point out flaws, it occasionally (say, 1/3 or 1/4th the time) brings attention to astoundingly good ideas.

Others which spring to mind: Write it up as an editorial and send it 'round to all the newspapers you can find. A quick trip to a Barnes&Nobles or similar bookseller with a large international newspaper selection for sale could render up large numbers of email addresses, for instance - a quick google didn't find a lot, tho'.

Want lots of publicity? Have a neutral third-party mention/report/email news of this to Kass, et al. *impish grin*

*shrug* Dunno - hopefully one of these is new to you...

-Discarnate

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 08:30 PM

To include a banner on your website to promote the Methuselah Mouse prize: http://www.imminst.o...ges/mouse3.html

#7 reason

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 11:05 PM

To include a banner on your website to promote the Methuselah Mouse prize:  http://www.imminst.o...ges/mouse3.html

It's up and running in circulation on the Longevity Meme. Thanks for getting that done.

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 02:07 AM

Quite Welcome.

#9 reason

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 09:43 PM

Quite Welcome.

They've got themselves up and running with the methuselahmouse.org domain now; I sent you an e-mail asking you to tweak the ad and other links here.

They're up to 12.5K on the reversal prize with a 5K grant from MaxLife.org (good job guys -- don't know if any of you read this board, but well done :)

I'll also point out the article on the mouse prize that Betterhumans put up on the 3rd:

http://www.betterhum...ID=2003-06-03-4

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

Edited by reason, 16 June 2003 - 09:46 PM.

#10 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 09:57 PM

Reason,

It's good to see the progress. I'll rework the mouse flash to reflect the new address.

Thanks,
BJK

#11 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 11:21 PM

Done

#12 reason

• Topic Starter
  • Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 09:03 PM

The mouse prize is mentioned on the front page at the LEF (www.lef.org) as of today, and David tells me that they've been interviewed by Fortune. Hopefully we'll see something there fairly soon. All good :)

Reason
Founder, Longevity Meme
reason@longevitymeme.org

#13 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 09:16 PM

Nice!

http://www.lef.org/f...ouseandman.html

#14 Vik

• 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 03:06 AM

sup reason...i am ready to donate 50 dollars... who do i send it too?
thax

ravi

#15 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 05:23 AM

Ravi,

Here ya go: http://www.gen.cam.a.../mmp/donate.htm

Thanks,
BJK

#16 galtsgulch

• 51 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 10:18 PM

And maybe we have our first winner! They've apparently already tested it on mice...

Clinial Trials Starting On Pill Extending Human Lifespan to 120 Years
By rickyjames, Section News
Posted on Tue Jun 24th, 2003 at 07:59:34 AM EST

As reported in the Daily Record, a little-known pill being developed which could help people live to the ripe old age of 120 is about to be tested in Scotland. Steve Parkinson, the Scots-born president of US pharmaceutical giants CereMedix, revealed the drug was set for clinical trials in Scotland. He said: "Everyone taking [this] pill will feel better and have more energy. Instead of pumping the patient full of chemicals we will be giving them a more natural drug."

The new pill contains the protein ependymin, which is produced by the brain and stimulates the body into making its own disease-fighting anti-oxidants. These are found in fruit and vegetables and can combat the damage caused to our bodies as we age. Now researchers claim the new pill has the equivalent effect of eating 30 lbs of fruit and vegetables every day.
Intially, however, trials at Edinburgh University will test the drug on those with lung disease. The university's Professor Bill MacNee said it could also have a huge effect on the treatment of Alzheimer's and strokes. "If it works, it will have all sorts of implications, not only for lung conditions but any other disease in which oxidative stress plays a part," he said.

Such oxidative stress disorders include aging: The scientists say the ependymin pill will boost average life expectancy from 75 to 120 years. The drug - currently known only as 1152 (and apparently being developed in Taiwan; what, you want a translation? Good luck understanding it!)- could be available over the counter in less than two years and has already been successfully tested on geriatric mice. CereMedix President Steve Parkinson said, "We are all very excited about this drug for obvious reasons. We are confident that this drug will allow people to live an extra 40 years or more."

#17 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 05:45 AM

Scientists target ageing
From The Sunday Times' Jonathan Leake in London
01sep03

THE search for the elixir of life has become respectable. A Cambridge University conference will announce this month an international scientific competition to solve the secrets of ageing.

The prize, potentially worth millions of dollars to the winner, is attracting keen academic interest. Four top US research groups have signed up, and a British team, based at Newcastle University, has expressed interest.
The launch of the prize reflects a significant shift in scientific thinking. Until a decade ago, the idea that the ageing process could be slowed or reversed would have been dismissed as science fiction.

Later this month, however, researchers from across the world will gather in Cambridge to discuss research that many believe will result in average human lifespans being increased to 130 years or more within decades.

Aubrey de Grey of Cambridge University's genetics department, organiser of the International Association of Biomedical Gerontology, is optimistic.

Complete Article

#18 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 03:52 AM

Money for old mice
Competition seeks world's longest-lasting mouse.
22 September 2003
HELEN R. PILCHER

Posted Image

A contest to produce the oldest laboratory mouse, and so help to unravel the mysteries of human ageing, is launched in Britain today.

Strategies that promote long life in rodents may lengthen our lives too, enthuses Methuselah Mouse Prize organizer Aubrey de Grey of the University of Cambridge, UK. The competition aims to encourage research and funding for anti-ageing interventions, he says.

The current titleholder, affectionately known as GHR-KO 11C, died just a week short of his fifth birthday - the equivalent of a human living for 150 years. "This could be extended by a considerable amount," says de Grey

Successful scientists stand to win a share of the growing £20,000 (US$33,000) prize fund. Cash is awarded for each day that their animal survives after breaking the record.

More: http://www.nature.co.../030915-13.html

#19 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 02:58 PM

The latest large donation ($5,000) to the prize was by Robert Gelfond. A quick peek at his bio on the Magiqtech.com website shows more than a little bit of savvy when it comes to investing.

He's definitely been first out of the door when it comes to other ventures... maybe he knows something that more will come to appreciate?

#20 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2003 - 03:03 PM

Thanks Kevin - Mr. Gelfond's donation is in two parts. $5,000 now and another $5,000 when both prizes exceed $50,000. So he has joined us in the spirit of matching challenge grants :-)

Very Generous of him!
Dave

#21 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 03:50 AM

", ereg_replace("
", " ", "

Link: http://www.betterhum...ID=2003-11-07-1
Date: 11-08-03
Author: Gabe Romain
Source:http://www.betterhumans.com
Title: Unbreakable Quantum Encryption on Sale Now
Comment: Here's an interesting article concerning the business pursuits of Bob Gelfond, a major contributor to the MMP
")) ?>

Unbreakable Quantum Encryption on Sale Now
The world's first commercially available quantum key distribution system has been released, promising unbreakable encryption and solutions to problems that have long been the bane of cryptographers.

Produced by New York City-headquartered MagiQ Technologies, the Navajo Secure Gateway relies on the laws of quantum physics rather than current methods of encryption security.

MagiQ says that the product can be integrated into existing digital computing infrastructures to provide unprecedented data security.

Photon keys

Relying on the laws of quantum physics, quantum cryptography uses photons to send secret encryption keys.

The advantage over traditional key exchange methods is that by encoding the encryption key photon by photon it is impossible for anyone to eavesdrop on a key exchange without being detected.

Most of today's encryption-decryption methods involve 56- to 256-bit keys that scramble information to encrypt messages. The keys are commonly generated with "one-way" algorithms. For example, computers can multiply two large prime numbers easily while it's hard for them to work backwards from a large number to find its primes.

With enough brute computing power, however, hackers can often crack encryption keys. With quantum encryption, they cannot.

Quantum states can be used to represent bits—ones and zeroes—in a way that can't be observed without detection. Observing a photon alters its properties, making it impossible for a hacker to go undetected.

Fiber-optic transmission

IBM researchers developed a prototype quantum key distribution system in 1989, when they were able to transmit signals 32 centimeters.

Fiber-optic cables can today carry them many miles. Quantum key distribution systems that use fiber-optic cables to send photons are slow, however, and are limited to distances of about 100 kilometers.

Navajo supports secure key exchange at a distance of up to 120 kilometers and allows long distance transmission using cascading devices.

"After years of research and development, we are proud to have reached commercial availability for this groundbreaking product," said MagiQ founder and CEO Bob Gelfond in a statement. "No matter what advances occur in digital computing, quantum encryption can never be deciphered, read or copied."

#22 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:26 AM

http://www.RedFlagsWeekly.com is featuring the New York Times story which discusses Aubrey's presentation at POPTech! on their front page.

I've emailed Nicholas Regush uncertain as to how or if he will respond. The philosophy of his site below is encouraging.

RedFlags Philosophy

PHILOSOPHY

The mission of redflagsdaily.com is to probe health and medical scientific issues in a manner that one rarely encounters in mainstream news reports. Corporate bottom lines and inadequate training in specialty journalism often provide the reading, viewing and listening public with narrow and simplistic information.

Press release journalism in medicine, for example, a process that often involves aggressive PR firms in the service of powerful corporations, hospitals and medical journals, typically rules the roost. It is the path of least resistance.

The "dumb it down" gang is all too often in control.

There also is a high degree of news censorship of those views that challenge the established scientific theories. Some scientists even discourage debates about important issues that affect many lives.

RFD will also feature columns and stories that encourage personal growth, particularly those that help individuals to fight against the various forms of tyranny all too common in daily life.

RFD will raise "red flags" or issues that require public attention and debate.

#23 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 07:37 AM

Dave and Aaron have added ImmInst Home Page newsfeed articles to the Methuselah Mouse Toteboard.

If you haven't downloaded it already.. please get the latest version here which includes ImmInst's Newsfeed. Don't forget after you try it out to let them know here what you think of it and especially any bugs.

It's a pretty cool tool and an excellent news aggregator if you visit Betterhumans, Transhumanism, or other such sites..

I have not seen an effort such as The Methuselah Mouse Prize anywhere. It is the ONLY one of it's kind and signifies the beginning of the end of death due to aging and as such, I believe worth supporting. Please consider what the prize signifies and ask yourself if there is something you can do, perhaps not even donation wise, to spread the word that the prize exists.

For instance, I have surfed the net lately and gatherd e-mail addresses for many longevity clinics and I have e-mailed them with news of the video debate between Aubrey and Sprott. As well, I have visited many of the medically oriented newsgroups on google and placed a few posts there with the same information. I even managed to stir up some discussion, which is probably the most valuable reaction as it usually means a prelude to actual THOUGHT!
-------------------
I wasn't going to post this but I feel a sense of urgency...

I'm going to risk sounding a little strident, perhaps a lot, but as you may see from the donor list of the MMP, I believe fairly strongly that it is an important endeavor to which I believe all who believe in it's goal should subscribe and I urge everyone here to donate what they can and if they can't donate money, donate your mind, your voice, your heart and reach out to your family and community and tell them about the hope you feel and the endeavor which seeks to change more than the world.

This is a comfortable place, ImmInst. If it wasn't, I certainly wouldn't be here. But if it is so comfortable, why do I feel so restless? Why do I feel like I can't do enough? Maybe it's because I'm feeling older and sense the breath of death a little closer that I am ill at ease. Perhaps I can find it in the way I watch and talk to my parents, now both in their 60's, and wonder if there will be something that will save them so that I may actually enjoy more time with them than I can see written in their eyes. Maybe it's the hours I've spent searching the internet for hope for a family friend with two small kids who has been given a death sentence with cancer. Or maybe it's because I have PROOF and I KNOW what is possible.

When I came upon the transcript of Dr. Sweeney's consultation with the Presidents Council on BioEthics on gene therapy for muscle regeneration, I realized what is likely. That this technology has been hushed... and when other technologies come along.. they will also be hushed. This powerful technology, which could save thousands of lives and lessen the misery of millions, has not been reported in the popular media. I'm not sure what kind of insidious, possibly genetically driven senilicide enables a society to condemn their elderly to infirmity without hope, when the keys are likely in the door, but perhaps it is this which gives me a need to hurry.

I might be discontented with the pace of unveiling of this development and other developments like it, the use of adult stem cells in heart patients for instance, or maybe I am just downright baffled with the lack of concern that my fellow human beings have for even their brothers and sisters welfare.

Or maybe.. it's because I sense great things afoot and that great deeds await and I want to be there... right at the front shouting as loud as I can that hope is here! I want to shout it to my parents, and my sisters and their children.. I want to hold all of my relatives and even those total strangers who are yet to be friends and tell them that the ills of their lives are about to be lifted and their future will be better than they ever imagined. I want to tell them that there are people in this world who work selflessly and tirelessly towards this end and that it is ok to hope. I want to...I know it's possible...but I can't.. and I think that is why

I am restless...

It's late and I'm a bit emotional.. the hallmark of weakness but..

I wonder how many share this disquiet I feel.. in this comfortable space I have grown quite accustomed to...

#24 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 07:59 AM

You nearly mirror my feeling on the matter.. I think we're nearing the saturation point.. where the information is starting to gel.. where we're starting to see clear examples in daily life where we can help people... answers to the off the cuff questions with some feeling of knowledge.. slight authority.. taking that confidence and optimism and then move people to action.. at least we now know where to go for good info.. where to point people.. there are many good sites.... betterhumans, longevitymeme, etc..

Also, I think Aubrey is a prime example of how leaders are starting to emerge.. some have been leading for much longer.. FM 2030.. Ettinger.. but there's a new generation a foot... bringing us closer by way of biotech... closer to successful implementation of negligible senescence.. through regenerative medicine.. seems anti-aging biotech may just come before nanotech and uploading... that's just a feeling.. though, AI may pull a dark horse sooner than expected.

Thanks for sharing Kev.

#25 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2003 - 05:25 PM

Yesterday my wife's Father died. All that he knew is gone. He is not there for my children. They cannot ask him about the Depression or World War II. They cannot hear from him what it was like to fly fighters over the Jungles in the pacific. They cannot learn from him how he went from killing Japanese to recognizing them as best personal friends and how such journeys are possible. Instead of having a grandfather - my children have a hole. It's wrong. The obituary column is an admission that dying alone and discarded is acceptable. It's not.

I'm doing this for my children. I'm doing it for you - my fellow humans whom I want to have time to get to know someday. Kevin - you are a very brave individual. Time sufficient has transpired in humanity's infancy. It's time for us to grow up. To remember how to care. and to DO something. As many of you have already done. For which we are all greatful.

The Methuselah Foundation is not about mice. It's about life - mice are just the first shot fired in the WAR ON AGING.

Dave Gobel

#26 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 08:59 PM

My condolences to you and your family on your loss Dave. Nothing can replace a human being... we are not expendable.

#27 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:31 PM

I echo Kev's sentiments... my parents are not yet in their 60's but.. I'm starting to see their aging and feel compelled to help.

#28 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 02:31 PM

just checked the latest total...

We're stepping towards 30,000$! .... only five hundred bucks to go..

( hmm.. I wonder if I can get my parents to invest in their future.. ? )

#29 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2003 - 07:54 PM

I'm pleased to note that the prize fund just cleared the $30,000 bar with a bit of room to spare from two of our very good friends in the UK. One is a Postdoc in Philosophy at Oxford no less (sorry Cambridge :-)

Don't forget to download the toteboard and help us test it at http://www.methusela...se.org/tote.htm

We are especially interested in tests which involve enormous donations from people who simply can't handle their money!

Cheers,
Dave

Edited by Lazarus Long, 19 November 2003 - 09:08 PM.

#30 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:36 PM

To put this into context, on October 24th we were at only 21,000. So we are growing much faster than $1,000 per week which was the old rate pre-Oct! You guys rock...keep it up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users