Photo
- - - - -

Pet cryonics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rob26hello

• 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:34 AM

With all this talk of animal cryonic preservation. Is there any way one can enlist the help of an actual mortician to temporarily preserve an animal before it is shipped to a cryonics company? Please excuse my ignorance on this subject. I am a newbie on this forum. Thanks for letting me join.

(edited by Matthias: threads 12390 & 12435 merged)

Edited by Matthias, 30 September 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#2 rob26hello

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:50 AM

Ok, please excuse my ignorance. I am new on the cryonics scene. And yes, this is a serious question.

Let's say that I have a pet that has just been put to sleep (or dies suddenly) in Ohio (where I live). I need to get him to one of the cryonics companies. But I have to take a plane to get there. It takes me approximately 24 hours to get my pet to the cryonics company. But when he expired, I immediately put him in dry ice and packed him in a sealed container. In this type of case is there any chance that the pet can still receive some kind of cryonic preservation (however imperfect)? thank you for any feedback everyone. I love the forum.

Rob

#3 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:16 AM

Sorry for your loss. If the pet is already at dry ice temperature, there is nothing more to be done other than gradual cooling to liquid nitrogen temperature and long term storage. The biggest obstacle you may face is that cryonics organizations often require owners to be members before accepting pets for the obvious reason that otherwise the pets have no one to wake up with. As I recall, Alcor has this policy. You might want to check with the Cryonics Institute or American Cryonics Society.

#4 rob26hello

• Topic Starter
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:34 AM

Thanks Brian very much for your kind words. However, this is a future scenario I was bringing up. Would having cryo-protectant (to inject) after the animal expires be of any help in the preseration process? Take care.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users