Photo
- - - - -

Audiobooks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

I'm going to purchase an audiobook off of iTunes, to put on my iPod. I'm looking for a good science book, and I prefer ones regarding biology or neurology. But I want something tougher than 'fluff'; something that will actually teach me something.

Any recommendations?

#2 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

The audiobook nature via nurture was very good. Check it out on amazon to see if you would like the content. It goes a lot into genetics, some into neurology, and hits upon a lot of interesting findings in a variety of fields. How cheap are most audiobooks on itunes? Used ones on amazon are pretty cheap, but if there is a good cheap online source for them, I would love to hear of it!

#3 zerowave

• 42 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:28 PM

yeah, a good cheap source is demonoid.com or bitme.org lots and lots of science audiobooks.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 stephen

• 202 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:41 PM

The only place I've found that consistently delivers excellent audio series is The Teaching Company.

http://www.teach12.com/

They have award-winning professors that design courses specifically for an audio format. Some of them are absolutely amazing! (I've loved the "How to Listen to Great Music" and "US History v2". Awesome teaching... I can actually stay focused on them for hours at a time!)

They're a bit light on the science side... more history and philosophy, but definitely worthwhile. (It's difficult to translate science / math as effectively into an audio format.)

A lot of "audiobooks" just don't work very well. They're better read than listened too.

#5 JonesGuy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:33 PM

"It's difficult to translate science / math as effectively into an audio format."

Tell me about it. I listened to the Feynman series on Quantum Mechanics, and I sorely wished I could see the blackboard he was teaching off of.

It needs to be iTunes, because I have gift certificate.

#6 tpower

• 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 04:31 AM

try audible? they have some audiobooks too, but I'm not sure if they're the ones you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users