7 replies to this topic

#1 shaman

• 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:46 AM

Hello,
I am currently taking the following supplements
DAILY
GNC mega men's sport supplement for nutrition
900 mg st johns wort extract (.3% hypericin) for mild anxiety/cyclothymia/bipolar II
1600 mg piracetam for cognitive enhancement
250 mg choline for piracetam potentiation

OCCASIONALLY
5-HTP
SAM-e

Is there anything I should worry about regarding this supplement combo? Additionally, are there any interactions I should worry about with these drugs:alcohol, caffeine, cannabis, phenethylamines, adderall?

Thank You

#2 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:32 AM

900 mg st johns wort extract (.3% hypericin) for mild anxiety/cyclothymia/bipolar II

[...]

5-HTP

There have been reports of serotonin syndrome with concomitant administration of SSRIs and St. John's Wort. So, my recommendation would be to drop either the St. John's Wort or the 5-HTP.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 shaman

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:36 AM

i have taken st johns wort, 100 mg 5htp, and sam-e on the same day and only experience agitation and jaw clenching...
self administered a benzo which cleared that up.
would that mean i am low on serotonin if i can tolerate all that?

also, i really enjoy the uplifting aspect of adderall..is there anyway to regulate my dopamine and norepenephrine levels to get this?
perhaps using l-tyrosine?

btw, i have also added EPA and DHA (omega 3s) to my regimen.

#4 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:56 AM

The symptoms you experienced after combining St. John's Wort and 5-HTP are pretty much what you would expect -- a little pre-serotonin syndrome teaser. I don't think it implies that you were low on serotonin just because you didn't have a more severe reaction. Besides, if you felt like you needed to take a benzo, you didn't "tolerate" it very well.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking next, but if you are looking for a way to duplicate the effects of adderall without taking adderall, I don't think you will have much success. Certainly tyrosine is not going to impress you very much.

#5 shaman

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:14 AM

well, id like to play around with dopamine levels cause adderall makes me feel good and i wonder what might happen if i put more dopamine into my system.

• Lurker

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:08 PM

Tryosine or DLPA can raise catecholamine levels. So will the herb mucuna. The problem with using either tyr or DLPA is that you will probably have to supplement tryptophan too. As your dopamine levels go up it has the effect of making your serotonin levels seem low. Serotonin and dopamine will have to be balanced.

You would take the DLPA or tyr in the early part of the day. You can take the mucuna throughout the day, even at night when you take the tryptophan. Do not take tryptophan and tyr or DLPA together. They will fight each other to cross the BBB.

But some people do not recommend that you start with amino acids that increase the excitory neurotransmitters. The advice is to take the amino acids that increase the inhibitory neurotransmitters for say a month or two. Then you should introduce the amino acids that effect the excitory neurotransmitters.

If you take the amino acids that increase the excitory neurotransmitters you may have some problems like being agitated or anxious or overly excited or perhaps anger problems.

Mucuna is helpful for dopamine levels. But it can be hard to find. The combo of either tyr or DLPA and mucuna is better than just either amino acid. I prefer DLPA to tyrosine. Tyrosine does not work for me for some reason. I think DLPA is usually better for most people.

And tryptophan is available in health food stores now. The ban has been reversed.

I would not recommend that you combine those amino acids with the use of that drug. You probably won't be able to sleep, for one thing.

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

Mucuna is helpful for dopamine levels. But it can be hard to find.

http://www.himalayau...a/ph_mucuna.htm

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

I used that brand, Himilayan, and don't think it is the best one out there. It does not say on the label what percentage of catecholamines it contains. The product by Ray Shalelain has 10% but the Solaray as 15%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users