• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

NDE white tunnel

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:03 AM

The problem is that we don't know where consciousness comes from. It's definitely tied into the brain, but how is it that thought arises from a large collection or neurons? If we could answer this then we could make AGI. Actually, that's based on the neural network implementation of intelligence.

Ultimately, I really do not know. If you study quantum physics (which I have only studied for a few weeks in a modern physics undergraduate course) really weird things happen. At the end of the day, I don't really care how it all comes about. I just know that I like my consciousness as it is now and that aging threatens to change my state of awareness over time. I want to improve from where I am now.

#62 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:49 AM

I agree with the above. But on NDE--I also had 'white tunnel' experience, talked to angels and all that, when I was four and a half years old. I've been told the story by my dad, of what I told my parents at the time. I don't actually remember myself. When I was a teen I took up reading everything I could about NDE, I love some of the research that has been coming out lately. Long ago I satiated my curiosity with the 'it developed to calm the prey' theory and the 'natural process of dying, lack of oxygen', now I like the 'lack of carbon dioxide triggers the vagus nerve' theory.

Here is the story New Scientist ran on how NDE's can be produced in people, in the lab:

http://www.newscient...the-tunnel.html

(that is a great article, if you are reading through the thread to get to the end--I highly recommend :) )

#63 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

Many NDE (near death experience) people and recently I've found oddly that mom too, say there was this bright tunnel and all.
My theory is (and I've seen a research about that that claims the same thing), is that this "tunnel of light" is merely the doctor's flashlight/the room's light, for people who experienced NDE, live just because they were in the right time at the hospital for such cases happen in matter of seconds or you die. you see blurry because there is no oxygen, you feel loose, cause of the same reason, and your brain accumulates all the light sources and gathers it, and all you "see" is light and all, what do you think?
It was the first time I spoke with mom of that, was kinda shocked. It was just when I was born.

So what do you think is that tunnel thingie?

-Infernity

You're wrong.

Go read "Saved by the Light" by Dannion Brinkley.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 Set

• 85 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

Many NDE (near death experience) people and recently I've found oddly that mom too, say there was this bright tunnel and all.
My theory is (and I've seen a research about that that claims the same thing), is that this "tunnel of light" is merely the doctor's flashlight/the room's light, for people who experienced NDE, live just because they were in the right time at the hospital for such cases happen in matter of seconds or you die. you see blurry because there is no oxygen, you feel loose, cause of the same reason, and your brain accumulates all the light sources and gathers it, and all you "see" is light and all, what do you think?
It was the first time I spoke with mom of that, was kinda shocked. It was just when I was born.

So what do you think is that tunnel thingie?

-Infernity

I think you are absolutely right.

#65 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:43 AM

I agree with the above. But on NDE--I also had 'white tunnel' experience, talked to angels and all that, when I was four and a half years old.  I've been told the story by my dad, of what I told my parents at the time.  I don't actually remember myself.  When I was a teen I took up reading everything I could about NDE, I love some of the research that has been coming out lately.  Long ago I satiated my curiosity with the 'it developed to calm the prey' theory and the 'natural process of dying, lack of oxygen', now I like the 'lack of carbon dioxide triggers the vagus nerve' theory.

Here is the story New Scientist ran on how NDE's can be produced in people, in the lab: 

http://www.newscient...the-tunnel.html

(that is a great article, if you are reading through the thread to get to the end--I highly recommend ;) )

I agree, there are probably many things that can cause an experience similar to an NDE. However, as I said above, it can be proven whether they can be authentic or not. Ever wonder if this planet has been visited by life from other planets? Yeah, most UFO sightings are probably fake, but...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users