Photo
- - - - -

Paleolithic (high protein) diet: constant hunger

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 daorlando

• 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:20 PM

For the last couple of weeks I was on a Paleolithic (high protein) diet. I ate meat, eggs, fruits, vegetables and avoided wheat/grains, diary and all processed foods. Overall I felt much better and would continue to eat in this fashion if I weren't also in a state of constant hunger, which went away only when I included wheat/grains back to my diet.

From what I gather most people feel more fullness and less hunger on higher-protein diets, so I was unpleasantly surprised by my reaction. I am now wondering what went wrong and if there is anything I can do to keep my hunger at bay if I decide to return to pure Paleolithic diet? Maybe increase my fat intake?

I would also like to add that overal I have thin body structure, extremely fast metabolism and reoccurring symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) when eating simple carbs (white bread, cookies, etc.), which I therefore usually avoid.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

Are you eating 2 or 3 big meals a day, or 6 times a day. I eat many small (paleo) meals a day and I don't feel too hungry.

Also, it might take more than a week for your body to adjust to the lack of carbs. Give it 2 or 3 more weeks and the hungry feelings may go away.

#3 daorlando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:08 PM

I eat 3 big meals a day, with small snacks such as fruit in between. So yea, maybe I should give it more time and see if the body will adjust.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:29 PM

Can you lay down an example of your diet in a typical day?

#5 daorlando

• Topic Starter
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:41 PM

Sure. Here goes:

Breakfast:
3 or 4 hard-boiled eggs, 1 ripe tomato, 1 teaspoon of olive oil

Snack:
An apple and some nuts

Lunch:
2 red meat stakes, 5 tablespoons of olive oil, a bowl of mixed salad

Snack:
1 banana and some nuts

Dinner:
2 pieces of chicken legs, 5 tablespoons of olive oil, a bowl of mixed salad

#6 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:57 PM

There isn't much there. It seems low on protein (unless your cuts of meat are bigger than average), and incredibely high in olive oil.

I would try more varieties of fats (fattier foods, if possible), increase protein, up your vegetable intake (things other than leafy "salad"), and see what happens. If you're still hungry, you can try adding a little more fructose.

#7 Four_Aces

• 23 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:32 PM

Shepard is correct, you should eat more fatty foods.

I am on a similar diet. This is a typical days worth of food for me:

-a dozen egg yolks
-1/4 pound of beef liver
-1/2 pound of salmon
-couple ounces of nuts
-few hundred grams of broccoli/other green vegetable
-few cups of hot cocoa w/ heavy cream

My carb/fat/protien ratio is: 10/65/25

Also, another thing that was mentioned above-- supposedly your body takes time to "adapt" to the reduced amount of carbs, but we still eat carbs -- fruits, nuts, etc.. I dont understand.

EDIT: I strongly recommend this fourm. They have helped me out many times. http://activenocarbe...m.org/index.php

#8 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

EDIT: I strongly recommend this fourm. They have helped me out many times. http://activenocarbe...m.org/index.php

Looking around that forum a little, I'm not very impressed by some of the posters. Maybe I just didn't read any of the right things. Colpo's postings at www.lowcarbmuscle.com would be a more referenced source.

#9 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

I would not recommend a high fat diet at all. Doctors have found that a high fat diet is harmful particularly if the person is sedentary or overweight. You do need some fat and salmon is a good source of fish oil. Nuts are good too, just don't overdo it.

#10 Four_Aces

• 23 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

The NoCarb forum is geared towards those who are trying to be completely carniviorous. Colpo's fourm is good aswell, much more general. Thank you for mentioning.

Regarding high-fat diets, such as Atkins: it is my impression that overweight individuals lose weight very well on this kind of diet. When carb intake goes down, fat has to go up. I would guess protien requirments stay the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users