Photo
- - - - -

How do I beat this horrible anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rick

• 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:28 PM

I've been taking Piracetam and Choline for about a year. I recently have added some stuff to my stack and I am reaching the point where I find that the thing really holding me back in anxiety. I just can't seem to hold it together when I am under stress. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for anti-anxiety supplementation.

Current Stack:
Piracetam 1200mg x 3/Day
Choline Bitartrate 1000mg x 3/Day
Vitamin B-5 1200 x 3/Day
Creatine Ethyl Ester HCI 1200 x 3/Day

Also I take Pioneer Vitamin and Mineral Supplement (Recommended by my doc) 3 pills 2x a day
and 1200mg of Omega 3 Fatty Acids every night.

#2 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

I'd cur out piracetam and choline if you have anxiety. It should greatly lower your anxiety. In addition you might want to add some theanine.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:53 PM

I've never heard of piracetam causing anxiety so I doubt thats it. I would try rhodiola rosea. It's very good for stress and you can take it every day. Theanine has only a small effect. Phenibut is stronger but you can't take it every day because the effects become less and you need more and more.

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

I would agree with xanadu based on your statement " I just can't seem to hold it together when I am under stress. "

For me, rhodiola rosea created a paradigm shift in what I considered stressful and how I would deal with it.

#5 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:27 AM

I would agree with xanadu based on your statement " I just can't seem to hold it together when I am under stress. "

For me, rhodiola rosea created a paradigm shift in what I considered stressful and how I would deal with it.

Dosage?

#6 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:30 AM

I take AOR's which comes at 125mg. More would be too stimulating for me, but research uses 125-250 for chronic use and 500mg for one time use.

#7 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:44 AM

The first brand of fish oil I tried didn't work very well. I switched to another brand that is distilled and has higher concentrations of EPA, I got much much better results for my anxiet with this supplement.

Be suspicious of the quality of your supplements.

#8 rick

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

Thanks guys,

I'm going to try some rhodiola rosea and report back. Do you use it once per day or more?

Also, the OMEGA3s are oderless trader joe's "molecularly distilled" brand.

#9 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:43 PM

Rhodiola is a good adaptogen that should do the trick. Good recommendations. Rhodiola stimulates hormesis, a mild stressing of both the physiological and psychological systems in such a manner that it results in a positive adaption to the stress. You will not generally feel anything except perhaps a chilled out calming feeling.

Another supplement that works in a similar fashion is ashawgangha.

I'm surprised that Phenibut hasn't been mentioned yet. Phenibut is a very powerful anti-anxiety compound, however it's only really effective for short-term treatment.

Tell me a bit more about the anxiety? Is the anxiety you refer to one that perhaps makes you feel anxious and apprehensive about your environemnt or is it the kind of anxiety that results from worry related to your current circumstance. You know, your job, bills, relationship and so on.

#10 brutale

• 62 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 03:02 PM

Piracetam can cause anxiety. Why do I say this? Because it says so in the package insert for Nootropil! :)
The incidence is not known, and it probably is not very common. But it evidently happens.

See the following link for insert info:
http://emc.medicines...ocumentid=16509

I think rhodiola is fine, but I would simplify first rather than making things more complicated.

If you like a racetam, great ... by all means take it. I like a couple of the racetams. But if you are getting some unwanted effects, you should consider dropping it. They are hardly "wonder drugs" for healthy individuals.

If I were you, I would see if the anxiety goes away under lower or no dosage of the piracetam. Then decide whether you want to add rhodiola. There are various drugs to take for anxiety as well, if you need them. But I don't consider piracetam worth enough that I would take other drugs to modulate side effects. (I can tolerate piracetam; so this issue does not arise for me.)

Doug

#11 rick

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

I have always suffered from anxiety and I don't think piracetam has made it worse. I am really excited about rhodiola. Currently if I try to talk in public I can't help but become completely overwhelmed and I hope this helps me to overcome it.

#12 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

zoolander wrote:

"I'm surprised that Phenibut hasn't been mentioned yet."

Written by xanadu

"Phenibut is stronger but you can't take it every day because the effects become less and you need more and more."

#13 brutale

• 62 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for clarifying that the anxiety predated the piracetam. In that case, rhodiola is a good supplement. I find that ashwaghanda reduces anxiety, as well as green tea (presumably the theanine). Bacopa has a mellow feel too.

I don't know much about the pharmacology of valerian, but it definitely works to reduce the subjective sense of tension. Feels a bit like a valium.

#14 superpooper

• 190 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

Chamomile has a compound in it that is supposedly binds to benzodiazepine receptors.

The anxiolytic effect of apigenin was tested in mice.18 Apigenin, isolated from the aqueous extract of Matricaria recutita, had a clear anxiolytic activity in mice, as tested in the elevated plus-maze. A dosage up to 10 mg/kg produced no sedation or muscle relaxant effect. However, a 10-fold increase in dosage produced a mild sedative effect. Binding studies of apigenin on synaptosomal membrane, prepared from bovine cerebral cortex, showed significant affinity for the central benzodiazepine receptor. Apigenin competitively inhibited the binding of flunitrazepam, a benzodiazepine receptor ligand, with a Ki  of 4 µM, and had no effect on muscarinic receptor, symb.GIF (74 bytes)1-adrenoceptors and on the binding of muscimol to GABAA receptors.18 The authors concluded that apigenin is a ligand for the benzodiazepine receptors, exerting anxiolytic and slight sedative effects but not being anticonvulsant or myorelaxant.

• Lurker

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

flaxs oil (faxseed) Inositol (B8) cod liver oil, Carnosine Supreme and Mega-DHA

#16 rick

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:56 AM

I want to tell you guys that I have been taking 100mg of Rhodiola 2x a day and it seems to be working great. If it keeps working this well it could really be life changing for me.

Thanks!

#17 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

You're welcome

#18 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:53 AM

ideas

Edited by treonsverdery, 19 October 2006 - 12:20 AM.

#19 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:53 PM

I had anxiety for around 6 months this year... constant too! The main thing that helped me was Vitamin C, luckily I found a report on vitamin C and stress. It worked in a few days after taking around 2-4g a day... It completely eliminated my palpitations ;) from those butterflies or adrenaline rushes I would frequently get. Others things that may have helped in the longer term were fish oil and yoga and getting a job, which kept me busy and increased confidence.

Vitamin C: Stress Buster
"In one recent study German researchers subjected 120 people to a sure-fire stressor--a public speaking task combined with math problems. Half of those studied were given 1,000 mg of vitamin C. Such signs of stress as elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol and high blood pressure were significantly greater in those who did not get the vitamin supplement. Those who got vitamin C reported that they felt less stressed when they got the vitamin. Earlier studies showed that vitamin C abolished secretion of cortisol in animals that had been subjected to repeated stress. Cortisol is a hormone released by the adrenal glands in response to stress. Once it gets into the bloodstream, it is responsible for relaying the news of stress to all parts of the body and mind. n the animal studies, vitamin C fed to rats undergoing stress not only prevented the expected increase in cortisol levels, it prevented the animals from exhibiting the known signs of physical and emotional stress."

http://www.medicinen...rticlekey=37379

#20 purerealm

• 227 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:27 PM

you shouldn't take drugs to deal with things like anxiety unless you plan on taking the drugs for life. cognitive therapy would be more suitable

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 daimewaku

• 63 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:29 AM

I have always suffered from anxiety and I don't think piracetam has made it worse. I am really excited about rhodiola. Currently if I try to talk in public I can't help but become completely overwhelmed and I hope this helps me to overcome it.

I have the same exact curse. I've been prescribed all kinds of things such as Paxil, Xanax, Valium but they all sedate me and make trying to function and give a proper presentation difficult. Paxil SUCKED! I gained weight and lost affectionate interest in my gf. Xanax was nice but I just chilled on the couch all day like I used to when I was a pro-stoner.

INDERAL! This is what finally helped me with social anxiety!

I give flawless speeches and presentations at the university when I take this, and its only taken when needed. It just blocks your adrenaline receptors (I dont know the science of it) helping you maintain your cool and you can focus on presenting yourself and not snowballing into anxiety, trying to keep your cool.

Before this, I'd stall during presentations trying to contain my anxiety or I'd just take the F.

Inderal has worked for me but do your research before trying some. I take 10mg, only when needed, and it works within 30mins and is out of your system within 3 - 6 hours unless you are taking the LA version. Once its out of my system I like to take a fast motorcycle ride so I can feel the good adrenaline.

Even though I dont suggest it and nor will I ever try it, but my classmate claims that after his LSD experience, he realized his social fear is irrelevant in life and no longer has it. Knowing my luck; if I tried it, I'd end up permanently INSAIN! [lol] [lol]
  • Agree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users