• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Grey Goo attacks becoming commonplace in 2nd Life

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikelorrey

• 131 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

Those of you who have become involved in the virtual world Second Life, possibly through the WTA's virtual community there, may have learned more about how that world operates, but also some of its problems. Participants intent on no good, generally called "griefers" (a play on "Reavers" from the movie Serenity), have been attacking the SL grid with "particles" (scripted objects resembling particles of light, typically enacting some sort of "magical" action) which self replicate incessantly, and assemble together to create beach balls which encourage people to pick them up (thus spreading the infection). The SL grid has been down on and off for most of the past two days because of repeated attacks of this nature.

Whether it is Bill Joy Killjoys staging a political protest to "teach" the public about the danger of nanotechnology (my pet theory), or just troublemaker kids out for kicks, or other business motivated hackers, is unknown.

I would encourage transhumanists with coding skills who are interested in Second Life to form a group to help shut down the griefers. Linden Labs, SL's owner, has been going balls out working to fix things, but it seems apparent that given the anarchic environment of SL, interested participants are going to need to work on ways of combatting this problem.

http://www.secondlife.com

#2 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:51 PM

you mean http://nolife.com ?

#3 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:10 AM

you mean http://nolife.com ?

[lol] Straight up, Hank. I knew that community was intense, but I didn't realize they had such ridiculous problems (beyond most friday nights). I could not imagine immersing myself in something so all-consuming, I have too much going on here in my actual life. I don't even post on Imminst as much I would like to.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:18 AM

This is sounding like some kind of cheesy 90s cybercrime movie. Anyone ever seen hackers?

#5 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:28 AM

This is sounding like some kind of cheesy 90s cybercrime movie. Anyone ever seen hackers?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Of course! What a fun, althought totally unrealistic movie.

edit: permanent pictures.

Edited by mitkat, 11 October 2006 - 03:28 AM.

#6 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:18 AM

I have too much going on here in my actual life. I don't even post on Imminst as much I would like to.

That's not so bad. I post at ImmInst WAY more than I would like to.

#7 knite

• 296 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

"Theyre attacking the kernal!", "Hackers Unite!"

hehe i like that movie. And no hacker movie(or other form of entertainment) will ever be realistic because hacking for real is BORING.
besides, angelina jolies boobies are in that movie [glasses] [lol]

#8 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:51 PM

"Theyre attacking the kernal!", "Hackers Unite!"

hehe i like that movie. And no hacker movie(or other form of entertainment) will ever be realistic because hacking for real is BORING.

I disagree, nmap is a hOOt! try pronouncing it as a word. nnmap! say that ten times fast with a bunch of oreos in your mouth

besides, angelina jolies boobies are in that movie  [glasses]  [lol]

I KNOW! and so is the rest of her, its like buy one get one free

Also.. Posted Image !!

#9 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:50 AM

Sandra Bullock... oh yeah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users