- - - - -

Any ideas, have tested nearly all nootropics

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lauti

• 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hi,
I have tested nearly all nootropics (piracetam,hydergine,nicergoline,tianeptine,vinpocetine,galantamine etc)
But none could really help me to improve my cognitive abilities.
I am suffering from anxiety and depression, the ssri worked very well, but impaired my cognitive abilities,
so i have tried to fight this side effect with nootropics, but it doesnt work.
Is it worth to try herbs, such as barcupa, are they more powerful than the synthetic nootropics?

I have also tried selegiline, but i have experienced a feeling as if i have been on speed(never tried it,
but i couldn't sleep the night...)
Could the meatabolites, levoamphetamine and methamphetamine, contribute to the effect?
Is selegiline really neuroprotective or do i more harm to my brain? Researches by pubmed revealed that those
metabolites toxic to nerve cells, but the effects in vivo are unceratin...

#2 cellfighter

• 97 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

Have you discussed these problems with your doctor?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ~ prometheus ~

• 66 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:25 AM

I am suffering from anxiety and depression, the ssri worked very well, but impaired my cognitive abilities

do you FEEL as though your cognitive abilities are affected, or does it really show? e.g. reduction in performance in exams, etc. from my own experience, i felt that SSRIs were affecting my memory, but my performance in exams often indicated otherwise. i think it had more to do with one of the side-effects of SSRIs, the inability to "feel" my thoughts, as though they were not really my own.

just remember that SSRIs also reverse hippocampal shrinkage that's believed to be the cause of depression.

#4 chipl

• 73 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:46 AM

Shucks, do some research into the Omega 3 lipids, said to make up some 80 percent of the cell membranes in the brain and elsewhere in the body. I used to have boughts with depression and anxiety and now I don't and I can see when I stop taking the caps of molecularly distilled fish oil the symptoms return. "The Omega 3 Connection" by Andrew Stoll is a fascinating read: http://www.hdlightho...s/epa/stoll.htm

#5 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:56 PM

See my post about b12 injections.

#6 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:03 AM

Can I suggest Theanine for anxiety?

#7 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:53 AM

geocities.com/treonbarleyverdery/index.html

Edited by treonsverdery, 01 November 2006 - 12:37 AM.

#8 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:36 PM

Do NOT mix SSRIs with selegiline. This is potentially fatal.

Take fish oil if you're not doing so currently.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 robbie7

• 30 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:51 AM

Hi,
I am suffering from anxiety and depression, the ssri worked very well, but impaired my cognitive abilities,
so i have tried to fight this side effect with nootropics, but it doesnt work.

I have also tried selegiline, but i  have experienced a feeling as if i have been on speed(never tried it,
but i couldn't sleep the night...)
Could  the meatabolites, levoamphetamine and methamphetamine, contribute to the effect?

I'm just going to be black-and-white here... if you've got an existing mental health problem which you're
taking medication for... it would be best to get on top of that before trying to band-aid the symptoms SSRI's cause
with nootropics!!! I can't say i've ever needed to take SSRI's myself but this seems to be a common
issue... why are there so many anxious and depressed people on this forum?

Half the medical industry is made up of solutions which band-aid symptoms other drugs cause... instead
of band-aiding your impaired cognition, focus on getting off the SSRI's.

My advice... take something simple which won't contraindicate whatever your taking for depression / anxiety...
Speak to whoever has prescribed you the SSRI (you don't mention which you are taking) to find a workable solution.

Stabilise your sleeping patterns (8 hours, 10pm - 6am) and do some light running 3x a week (20 mins)
and eat a good diet (fresh salads, fish, vegetables, some read meat and fruit).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users