Photo
- - - - -

What foods have you "given up",

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 boily

• 171 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

For many years I had been interested in health, food and exercise, etc. I did a lot of reasearch, reading books and web pages. I gathered a lot of knowledge. I put some of those idea's into practice. However having the knowledge didn't mean I applied it all. For example I would take vitamin C everyday, but also eat a stack of lollies and other bad foods, and go out binge drinking with mates!

But since joining and frequenting this website and reading up here, I have been progressively improving my actions in these area's. Its good to read info from people thinking along the same lines! Apart from adding new supplements and food types to my daily routines I have also given up the following things 100% or 99%! I'm not saying these things will kill you by consuming them(as they didn't kill me!) Other foods I barely eat now, example being bread.

They are:

alcohol
soda
lollies
chocolate(now eat daily cocoa powder)
ice cream
biscuits
fries
dairy products

There will most probably be more things added and I learn more or become even more disciplined.

This post is what I consider to be a positive outcome from the existance of ImmInst.org! Well, I believe I will definately live longer anyway!

What things have you given up since becoming a member? Should be interesting.....

#2 brutale

• 62 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Recently, I have given up:

1) sweets and simple starches
2) alcohol
3) caffeinated coffee (because I take Provigil and regular coffee is therefore too stimulating)
4) most dairy

I have added:

1) whole grain (esp cereal for breakfast)
2) soy milk (replacing dairy)

I may add 1 glass of red wine per day, since my HDL is stubbornly low. I'm also upping the exercise.

In terms of supplements, the most recent changes are:

1) increase s-AME, 400 -> 600mg / day
2) added vit D3, 600 -> 1200mg (on the basis of blood tests)
3) added folate, 800 -> 2400 mcg (on the basis of blood tests)
4) dhea, 25 -> 50 mg (again, based on blood tests)

#3 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:59 PM

Boily, your list is right on the money.

Keep in mind it's okay to eat dark chocolate that's 70+ percent cocoa. I eat about 15 grams a day as a little treat.

If people just greatly reduce non-whole grain starch foods, fried foods, dairy, red meat, soda, and any food which has sugar (including fructose, often erroneously touted as a healthy natural sugar) in the top three ingredients, they will dramatically improve their health.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

I really haven't "given up" anything since joining, I've had to "watch it" due to thyroid disease for some time now. I've added supplements. I'd be hard pressed to identify which ones, though.

The cocoa thing is absolutely hilarious to me because I've been eating cocoa powder (dissolved in hot water sans sweetener) since I was a child. It used to really gross my Mom out and my SOs just shudder. Now I can pass off my unusual craving as a "supplement." As an adult it's the only way my cohabitants survive my hormonal fluctuations. Every month my Spouse will leave an offering of the darkest chocolate available, not quite dropping it and gingerly backing away as if from a very dangerous wild animal.

#5 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

I always eat 10-20g of 70 - 85% dark chocolate a day, either on my porridge or with a cup of green tea :)

yum...

and yes, since imminst I've cut out all what I consider to be junk food... So I just basically eat lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds things like that. I've only eaten red meat about 5 times in my life, its also disgusting =/

I think I lived on mainly wholegrain cereal throughout my teen years, 3 bowls a day!

#6 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:47 PM

I haven't really cut out a great deal of anything. I'm not much of an immortalist to be honest, more just mildly health conscious. I don't eat trans fat food or junk food. I still have dairy tho, I like it too much.

#7 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:28 PM

I haven't completely given up on many foods. I just eat them in moderation. I eat very healthy 95% of the time.

I eat fried foods in extreme moderation (almost never). I don't eat french fries at all anymore.

#8 ameldedic2

• 91 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:37 AM

i eat more fish, and salad with vegtables and eggs

#9 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:52 AM

Gave up milk, many grains, all refined sugars and anything that spikes my insulin. Stevia is just too damn good to bother using sugar or anything that messes with insulin.

#10 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

Before I joined ImmInst, but because of the same reasons:

Hamburgers
Sausages
Kebabs
Coke and other soft drinks filled with sugar and so..
I had a while without any sweets at all, but I figured the mental damage is worse, so I started having it again .......
I don't eat those packed potato-chips and things alike, very rarely..

Hmm what else

-Infernity

#11 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

Rarely chocolate & Ice Cream
mmm

-Infernity

#12 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

I don't eat french fries at all anymore.

OMG, OMG fries, the worst! [nuk]

Great posts,
I've had great success w/REPLACING coffee w/green and white teas, sometimes sweetened w/stevia,
juices and soft drinks REPLACED w/bottled spring water w/fruit and berry concentrates and "drinks" made w/"green food" powders,
and the various processed, over-f*cked junk REPLACED w/low calorie, low glycemic food, w/great taste for me.

Things I NEVER have:

French fries - OMG, the worst!
Burgers and all fast food from McD & Co.
Candy
Added table salt
Added table sugar
Aspartame
Microwaved foods
Most milk products
French fries - OMG the worst!

Very rarely now I eat real "crap food", and I usually never finish such a meal. Yeah, I'm rude.

BTW, it's much easier to "control" oneself and make intelligent food choices, when one by way of introduction can stabilize the blood sugar and improve insulin sensitivity and preserve moderate, balanced neurocheimcal activity (especially serotonin and dopamine activity) throughout the day (w/the right food, sups, and exercises on the sheets, building on exciting, intellectual relationships :), exercises on the road and in the gym), and even READ UP on the terrible, long-term consequences and premature AGING, a high-inflammatory diet will yield, -
then it's easier to emphasize the VITAL IMPORTANCE of eating the right food, that will nourish one instead of robbing one, for you to share w/the world, - and really dismiss ANY obstacles (whether it's social pressure (also, consider WHY granny may love to serve the cookies and be true to yourself - and her), or lack of motivation etc.) that shall shorten ones life.
I definitely consider food medicine. I definitely have observed improved health and amazing, consistent, improved mood from eating "healthy".
Let's bring on the motivation! [lol]

#13 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

OK, Granny's a terrible example, bless her, - but do challenge your friends! [tung]

#14 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

I have been phasing things out slowly over the past few years and phasing in things like green tea, omegas, more vegetables. I've lost 22lbs and feel 10 years younger. 10 more to go.

Eliminated:

Soda
Sugar
Candy
French Fries
Fast Food
Cookies, Cakes
Anthing w/transfats
Anything w/MSGs or labelled with "Artificial Flavors"

Significantly Cut Back:

Pasta
White Bread
Coffee (a cup here and there and only black now)
Some Dairy Products
Ice Cream
Dining Out

Next Goals to reduce:

Pasta
Potatoes
Juice Drinks
Cheese
Microwaved meals

#15 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

What I have not eaten for a very long time:

- White bread
- Ordinary potatoes
- Mashed potatoes
- Jacket potatoes
- Chips
- Crisps
- Sugar
- Salt
- Candy
- Ice cream
- Cake
- Pastries
- Gateaux
- Tarts
- Red meat
- Sausages
- Butter and other shortenings
- High GI/GL cereals

What I have introduced into my diet:

- Sweet potato
- Tofu
- Soya milk
- Miso soup
- Muesli
- Linseed, aka flaxseed
- Quinoa
- Green tea
- White tea
- Rye bread
- Spelt bread
- Seaweed
- Supplements
- I once bought a tub of Supreme Chocolate from RayandTerry.com, but that was a long time ago.

And also alot more of what I've always eaten and drunk, like vegetables/salad, nuts, seeds, water, fish, wholegrains and, of course, fruit. I try to get as much produce that is organic as possible, and I'm aiming to introduce more different kinds of healthy food into my diet so it is as varied as possible. Perhaps what I should cut back on:

- Cheese
- Yoghurt
- Meat...

#16 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

things ive given up in the name of health:

ANYTHING with hyrdrogenated oils
french fries
soda
simple carbs on an empty stomach
artificial sweeteners/colors
microwaves
being lazy

i still will once in a while indulge in most of those (microwaves & hydrogenated oils being 100% no-no)... everyone needs a cheat day once in a while :)

#17 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Adam, :S do you eat meat?

-Infernity

#18 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:29 PM

Adam, :S do you eat meat?

-Infernity

Hi Adi. Yes, I do eat alot of meat, although vegetarianism has been on my mind for quite some time now...

#19 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:44 AM

I eat quite a bit of meat too, I really can't see myself giving that up to be honest. I'm really a pretty crap immortalist! lol

#20 Four_Aces

• 23 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

instead of what i don't eat anymore, i think of my diet as continually zoning in on perfection

what i do i eat/drink.

-meat, fish, eggs, cream
-kale
-almonds
-coconut oil
-cocoa
-tea

#21 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:40 AM

Almonds are nice, anything to do with coconut is nice, as is coccoa. I'm pretty sure if the three were combined in some form it would be pretty orgasmic

#22 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

Hi Adi. Yes, I do eat a lot of meat, although vegetarianism has been on my mind for quite some time now...

Oh ok, don't stop eating meat. Red meat once a month and chicken like once a week... I eat more, I know it's not good, but I just CAN'T without it.

-Infernity

#23 ameldedic2

• 91 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

given up:

artificial food (not raw and fresh)
all saturated and trans fat
don't eat candy, donuts, food with these type of sugar

I eat:

meat (lean meat, white chicken breast, lean turkey, fresh sliced meat)
wheat bread
vegetable, all of them
I eat nuts, etc.
instead of carbohydrates from pop, acidic fruit juices, table sugar, etc. I replace it with fruits such as banana, apples
I eat a little bit of dairy (severa slices per 1-2 days of low fat cheese)
olive oil

It helps to eat several small snacks per day.

#24 boily

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

Keep in mind it's okay to eat dark chocolate that's 70+ percent cocoa. I eat about 15 grams a day as a little treat.

Thanks, good to know! I made myself a new years resolution to not eat ANY lollies, chocolate, biscuits or icecream for the entire year. It was a tough January, but 10 months on the resolution is almost a reality, and I counted dark chocolate. I will be looking forward to some 70% dark stuff somewhere past January 1. My friends think its weird, which is OK by me, lol!

Edited by boily, 21 February 2007 - 05:12 AM.

#25 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

I was on a gradual trend toward a better diet before joining Imminst, but now it has gotten better. I used to have jobs where I was on the road a lot and that was a perfect situation for a terrible diet. I used to eat fast food a lot.

Things I have significantly reduced or eliminated:
Fast Food (now only about twice a month - the options have gotten slightly healthier)
Chips
Creamy salad dressings
Jelly
Sweet chocolate and any other type of candy
Potatoes
White bread
Soda

Things that have increased in my diet or that I have added:
Fruits, Nuts, and Vegetables
baker's chocolate
Ortho-core/multi vitamin
Whole grain bread
lean dried meat (home-made jerky)

My diet isn't super healthy but it is much better than my co-workers. They think I am a super "health nut". My wife calls me a "gluco-phobe" because I avoid refined sugar like it is the plague.

#26 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:45 PM

Almonds are nice, anything to do with coconut is nice, as is coccoa. I'm pretty sure if the three were combined in some form it would be pretty orgasmic

It's called an "Almond Joy."

Edited by kylyssa, 06 November 2006 - 02:20 AM.

#27 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

Ah, I remember that, I had one of those once in Florida. Pretty good. Love how you yanks serve soft drinks in bottles the size of jerry cans. My only complaint would probably be that red gatorade should not taste like marzipan!

#28 kylyssa

• 340 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:23 AM

To put a positive spin on the life affirming action of rejecting unhealthy foods wouldn't a better title for this thread be "What foods have you Rejected since becoming a member of ImmInst?"

#29 marqueemoon

• 78 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

What's wrong with microwaving food?

#30 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:17 AM

> instead of what i don't eat anymore, i think of my diet as continually zoning in on perfection

something to be said for variety. your gut organisms think so. kale your only veggie?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users