• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Stepping down

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

I hereby step down from my post as ImmInst advisor on Biotechology, expressing non-confidence in Harold's leadership. I kindly ask those with the power to do so to please remove all references to me from the leadership pages immediately. My detailed reasons can be found in discussion topics all over the institute. I apologize to those who have valued interacting with me that this has become necessary, and encourage them to re-evaluate the qualities of their current leadership.

#2 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

It is a pity that it has come to this, John. I am sorry to see you go. Such a community as this can never exist without such dramatic troughs and downsides, though. For you personally, perhaps it is a good decision. Thanks for your time with us as Advisor... [thumb].

Adam :)

#3 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

I have strong sympathies with John, and regret to see him leave. I have only skimmed some of the debates he has had with Prometheus. However it appears that a frequent point of contention is that science can be advanced by Internet debates and Wikis rather than labs and journals. I strongly disagree. Internet discussions are fine for discussion of broad basic issues, and recreation, but they are no substitute for the discipline of organizing ideas into complete papers.

There is a reason why many institutions (not just in science) require correspondence in writing, not emails or Internet posts. It's too easy to put forth half-formed ideas and out-of-context information in brief Internet posts. Forums, blogs, and wikis are intrinsically undisciplined media. The barriers between having a thought and publishing the thought are way too low. Even worse, if a Wiki with broad access politically positions itself as an authority on some subject, scientists who really are authorities will have to spend inordinate amounts of time on edit wars rather than getting real work done. This is not how science gets done.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

John,

I really don't think you should step down for this reason. Harold has a lot more balls than most of the people I know...

Of course, that does not make him perfect or anything. Have you ever spoken to Harold before? He is an unrelenting individual. If you guys had ever spoken or met before, this definitely would not have happened. Don't use incomplete impressions over the Internet to judge other people OR their positions. If everyone did this, I'd be trying to commit infanticide.

I've spoken with Harold before and he really doesn't mess around -- he's sharp, to the point, and has his own ideas. I don't believe either myself of he has the academic background that you do and I think you might want to highlight that more often.

#5 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

John... sorry to see this turn. I've read through the latest thread, and have followed discussions periodically. Harold is abrasive and tends to attack when he'd should stay above the fray. However, even if Harold is wrong on some points and hard to talk with on others, I'm not sure that his cumulative abrasiveness outweighs his contributions to the idea space. Although, if he continues to drive away prestigious Advisors, he'll eventually be talking to a mirror...

• Lurker

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:33 PM

Scholarly, learned debate is one of the pillars of science. To be challenged in this way is to be given the opportunity to grow beyond ones boundaries in knowledge, its application and the means to communicate it. Anyone that has had to defend one's thesis before an academic panel of senior scientists and academicians knows what I am talking about. If one has worked hard in the lab compiling data to report on and also consistently and meticulously reviewed the literature they have a good chance of doing well. An often understated element is emotional control. I have seen brilliant students unable to answer simple questions because of nerves and consequently receiving a poorer grade which compromises their opportunity for scholarships or having the conferment of their degree delayed.

Consequently, John, I would sincerely advise you to distance your emotions from such challenges and concentrate on the points at hand. Fulfill your potential as a man of learning and worthy intellectual accumen. What is it about my "leadership" that so concerns you? Come out with it man! Is SENS sacrosanct? Are we forbidden from commenting on it?

Is this how discourse should be practiced? (see below)

Attached Files

#7 John Schloendorn

• Topic Starter
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:54 PM

Have you ever spoken to Harold before?

Yes, for some two hours on the phone. My impression is quite similar to yours. He seems genuinely convinced that he is inevitably doing the right thing, and can eloquently express this belief, which is fine. However, this is no reason to expect that he would be capable to ever make a helpful contribution to saving everybody's life.

I'm not sure that his cumulative abrasiveness outweighs his contributions to the idea space.

Watch, and learn.

Is this how discourse should be practiced?

We are indeed interested in discourse, and this requires us to limit our interactions with those who have amply demonstrated that they are incapable of it.

• Lurker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:37 AM

no reason to expect that he would be capable to ever make a helpful contribution to saving everybody's life

I would not presume that anyone is capable of "saving everybody's life". Is this what you believe you are working on - saving everybody's life? Is this the reason why you think you and your beliefs are above criticism and debate?

My understanding is that scientists seek to study the way the body works and thus look for ways to modulate the aging process. Each person here has a strong desire to defeat aging and death. Some have had the privilege of scientific training, some have educated themselves and others must try to understand as best as they can the scientific and technical issues presented. Yet we have always considered the notion of discussion and debate to be of value to the community. I have never encountered such bitterness over matters of scientific fact which, if you view them as a scientist, should know that are subject to change with every new discovery.

If I do not agree with your scientific methodology and the basis by which you have arrived at your conclusions, why would that prevent me from making a useful scientific contribution?

We are indeed interested in discourse, and this requires us to limit our interactions with those who have amply demonstrated that they are incapable of it.

I would argue that you are interested in the type of discourse that only is favourable to your notions.

#9 John Schloendorn

• Topic Starter
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:14 AM

I would argue that you are interested in the type of discourse that only is favourable to your notions.

Please begin. You are well aware that the reasons you have been banned have nothing to do with your opinion of the chances of success of SENS. The attempt to make it appear such in public is an apt example for the type of misrepresentations which are part of the reasons.

• Lurker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

You are well aware that the reasons you have been banned have nothing to do with your opinion of the chances of success of SENS.

Aside from my known issues with SENS, what are these reasons? I'm sure our audience would be very interested in what you have to say.

#11 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:25 AM

Have you ever spoken to Harold before?

Yes, for some two hours on the phone. My impression is quite similar to yours. He seems genuinely convinced that he is inevitably doing the right thing, and can eloquently express this belief, which is fine. However, this is no reason to expect that he would be capable to ever make a helpful contribution to saving everybody's life.

Wow, that comment made me sound pretty dumb. [mellow] I'm embarrassed.

If John is engaged in some type of innovative research, then to some degree I would assume he would happily entertain questions and constructive criticisms with respect to the methodology and implementation. In fact, I see engagement as an open opportunity for John to present his research to the widest possible audience.

Dr. de Grey seemed pleased to engage in debate in the The SENS Challenge. However, I guess some of those debates might have been more fruitful and interesting because the debates were judged by several highly distinguished individuals:

Rodney Brooks, PhD, director of MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, and chief technical officer of iRobot Corp. IRobot is one of the most successful makers of robots in the world.

Anita Goel, MD and PhD, founder and chief executive of Nanobiosym.

Vikram Kumar, MD, cofounder and chief executive of Dimagi, and a pathologist at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Nathan Myhrvold, PhD, cofounder and chief executive of Intellectual Ventures, and former chief technologist at Microsoft.

J. Craig Venter, PhD, founder of the Venter Institute. Venter developed the process called whole-genome shotgun sequencing, which sped up the human genome project.

Although some of these debates may have degenerated into ad hominem argumentation and other nonsense, it still managed to capture the attention of some members of the scientific (and non scientific) community.

The real SENS challenge is -- in my book at least -- is not to necessarily solely prove that "Aubrey de Grey's prescription for defeating aging, is so wrong that it is unworthy of learned debate." It is to prove "Aubrey de Grey's prescription for defeating aging, is so wrong that it is unworthy of learned debate" by finding a better alternative than SENS -- if there is one and proving it exists by implementing it --.

There is a big difference between being a player on a team than being that drunk dude up in the stands screaming and yelling the whole time. If you are up in the stands, it's much easier to shout at your team when they are losing and get up and shout when they are winning. However, if you are actually playing on the field, you begin to see the game a lot differently. I kind of see Harold as that dude up in the stands. He's still on your team -- yes, he may yell some seemingly rude stuff at times, but when you are winning (or show that SENS is truly effective on a large scale) he'll be screaming just as loud in your favor.

However, John -- if I were you, once I stated my methodology and implementation methods, I'd just permit Harold to continue to offer his responses and get to them as you please. The bottom line is you can always counter any of Harold's attacks on SENS (or any other research for that matter) with a simple reply that indicates in a professional manner that he has not brought any evidence of any of his own research methodology or implementation, so to stuff it until he can. Because as much as I like debate, it's just talk. You guys are doing something in the laboratory and Harold is still fantasizing about it. :))

Edited by nootropikamil, 01 November 2006 - 01:50 AM.

#12 John Schloendorn

• Topic Starter
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:52 AM

The bottom line is you can always counter any of Harold's attacks on SENS (or any other research for that matter) with a simple reply that indicates in a processional manner that he has not brought any evidence of any of his own research methodology or implementation, so to stuff it until he can.

This is exactly what we have attempted for far too long. The failure of this strategy due to Harold's misuse of dialogue is documented in the respective threads. Unfortunately a full time Harold debunker is required to guide everyone through the jungle of his allegations. As you can see, we have played this role for some time in the respective threads, but then decided to focus our resources on promoting Mito and Lyso instead.

• Lurker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:03 AM

You are well aware that the reasons you have been banned have nothing to do with your opinion of the chances of success of SENS.

Aside from my known issues with SENS, what are these reasons? I'm sure our audience would be very interested in what you have to say.

Address this, John.

#14 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:04 AM

Okay, then the answer is simple. Just take the time to write up a clear reply that basically states that you guys are in the laboratory and he's not and that should settle it. Tell him he's welcome to find alternative methods of his own and let us know when his ideas are ready for prime time. Tell him that when they are, you'll try to take a look at them to assess if the scientific community feels his ideas are sub par SENS or not. Hey, once he has his own ideas ready for public scrutiny, have a SENS vs. Prometheus challenge and we will be able to tell the winner by results.

But until he offers a more reasonable alternative and is successful at implementing it, taking such an aggressive stance towards your research Harold must realize is not a very solid position to hold. I wouldn't feel threatened by such a position at all if I were you.

#15 John Schloendorn

• Topic Starter
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:54 AM

Address this, John.

I just did.

(I have also repeatedly explained where and when you demonstrated this. A good way to find them is to search ImmInst for any threads containing both our names.)

Tell him that when they are, you'll try to take a look at them to assess if the scientific community feels his ideas are sub par SENS or not

Adam, others and I did this on numerous occasions, and he refused.

I wouldn't feel threatened by such a position at all if I were you.

Of course we are not, which is precisely why we are ignoring him since lately.

• Lurker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:00 AM

Just take the time to write up a clear reply that basically states that you guys are in the laboratory and he's not and that should settle it.

Not quite.

Adam,
1. You are assuming I am not in "a laboratory" - by which I take it you mean whether I am actively engaged in formal research related to aging - something which are not in a position to determine. My commercial and research life is very private and will remain so.

2. de Grey and others have been very happy to discuss and debate the merits or not of SENS since 2002 starting with exchanges on the sci.life-extension newsgroup. It has been only in very recent times that SENS has moved from advocacy of science fantasy to laboratory research. In parallel, it has become taboo to criticize SENS. I have a theory on this. It relates to funding for SENS and the MF: in order to draw donations of substance, criticisms of SENS have been avoided, particularly around the time of the Thiel donation.

3. John's "departure" coincides with a post I made on a discovery that stands to eclipse the rationale for "MitoSENS" - the observation that mitochondria can migrate from one cell to another (see http://www.pnas.org/...full/103/5/1283 ). It may well be, for example, that one of the ways that mesenchymal stem cells mediate regeneration and wound healing is by donating healthy mitochondria to damaged cells - a property that can exploited to bring clinical solutions for mitochondrial-based diseases as well as cell rejuvenation in post-mitotic cells such as neurons.

• Lurker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:04 AM

I just did.

I'm afraid you haven't, and it appears that you have no intention of doing so. Not surprising, of course, since there is no basis for your conduct other than my position on SENS.

#18 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:20 AM

My talk is bigger than yours. [lol]

• Lurker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:46 AM

How many Immlnst does it take to change a light bulb? None because they are too busy arguing if the light bulb actually exists, and whose light bulb is brighter........ :)

#20 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:42 AM

Prometheus is much as I despise you, I would be sorry to see you leave under whatever the heck all this is about (anybody capable of condensing this issue into a single post, without leaving out too many details or links in place of statements?)

In the past you have seemed to give a well-informed (or some sufficiently deceptive presentation thereof) arguments, which qualifies you for some respect in my book.

:)

#21 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:45 AM

Prometheus is much as I despise you

Despise is a pretty strong term. I think Harold is a highly intelligent individual.

#22 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

Just because he's smart doesn't mean he can't hate him.....

• Lurker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

Hate, despise, these are the kind of words and attitudes that will prevent immortality. Before you can acheive immortality you have to have respect for yourself and others. Otherwise we are going to just be a society of violence. Violence is ignorance with agression. Hate eats through the body like a cancer.You do not have to agree with everyone on every issue, that would be very boring, however you do need to keep an open mind.

#24 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:53 PM

Hate, despise, these are the kind of words and attitudes that will prevent immortality

Just because he's smart doesn't mean he can't hate him

Despise is a pretty strong term

You are all a bunch of fools... haha.

#25 AdamDavis

• 539 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

You seem to be the only fool here, Hank... [lol]

#26 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

[/airquote] [/airquote] [/airquote] if only these things could be done back to front :)

#27 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:13 PM

I really like your signature Eddie! "We all could use a little common SENS."

You are really a creative individual. What's your stack? LOL.

• Lurker

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

Hank what is your definition of a fool?!!

#29 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

I would prefer to have John stay. He has been a long time supporter/advisor and has tried his best to educate forum members about biotechnology. His contirubutions in this forum setting are valuable. LysoSENS and Imminst have worked synergisticly to advance research. This should be happenning more.

On the other side of things a director of Imminst should be building bridges not burning them. There has to be a point where one puts the goals of the organization (at least temporarily) above personal goals or recognition.

#30 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

I really like your signature Eddie!  "We all could use a little common SENS."

You are really a creative individual.  What's your stack?  LOL.

thanks man! stack consists purely of genetics and upbringing sadly lol, always been this way. The first time I realised I was a creative kid was when a kid I hated drew this huge picture of super man and then at the bottom wrote "supper man!" I snorted and said to him "nice supper man, I suppose he's flying home to lois to eat his super?" I also used to get balls of blu tack and stick thorns into them for use with my catapult. When I heard rat poison and blood thinners were chemically identical I also used to add that to the mix. My town's opposing soccer teams suffered at my menacing little hands!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users