• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Self aware or just answer bot ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kgmax

• 75 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

An article from Michaels blog got me to thinking...

Does SAI or AGI need to have self awareness?
In other words, can you have an AI that can understand and think without having a sense of self or self reflection?
My point is why does the AI need to be self aware or conscious? Could it not simply be able to take input such as “make this code more efficient” or “give me the 3 best hypothesis on molecular manufacturing”, “now give me details”… “now give me more details” … “how would you get around the problem of…”

Is it necessary for a super intelligence or AGI or whatever to be self aware or have any sort of (sorry I cannot think of a simple term) ego or drive?

Thanks,

#2 garethnelsonuk

• 355 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:44 AM

http://en.wikipedia....sophical_zombie

An AI need not have subjective awareness at all, or even a concept of self unless you plan to upload yourself into it. From the outside a machine that is intelligent but not having subjective awareness is identical to one that does truly feel things.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

If we made machines do most of our work they would eventually reach a conscious level of sophistication.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

My feeling is that a self aware AI might be safer, with respect to humans. Just a thought. If it thinks it has life then maybe it will respect life or have greater empathy for other beings.

But as far as self awareness as a neccessary component for AI, probably not needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users