Photo
- - - - -

7-OXO-DHEA vs DHEA

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

Has anyone got any take on which is better for fat-loss. The supp companies propaganda machines are running overtime again and for me it is very unclear. Any opinions?

#2 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:59 AM

They are different and the action is quite complex. In short, both may work in improving body composition, which one better could be individual response, though. Anyway, 7oxo has poor oral bioavailability, you should use a topical of it, like Ab-solved.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:28 PM

Anyway, 7oxo has poor oral bioavailability, you should use a topical of it, like Ab-solved.

Do you know of anywhere that still has any stock left?

#4 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:51 AM

http://www.mindandmu...63

nutraplanet is good people and good service, and they have homebrew stuff.

#5 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:22 PM

To formulate a transdermal from the powder should be relatively simple.

You could use either DMSO or a Pleuronic Lecithin Organogel as a good transporter, failing which there are many Benzyl Alcohol/Ispopropyl Myristate based formulae.

Alternately, you could formulate a sublingual using Hydroxypropyl-Beta-Cyclodextrin. It may also be possible to make chewing gum out of it if you can find a gum base with a low melting point.

I reckon DHEA will also suffer from significant second pass elimination although I will have to check on that one... it should also complex with HPBCD easily.

Hence, I'm possibly going to make a little bit cof chewing-gum with both in it, and an aromatase inhibitor like formestane as well.

#6 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

Do you know of anywhere that still has any stock left?

I have 2 bottles in stock :)

#7 brutale

• 62 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:05 PM

syr_,

you remarked that 7-oxo (= 7 keto?) dhea has poor oral bioavailability? My understanding is the ordinary DHEA has decent bioavailability -- check out the numerous studies of oral DHEA in various conditions on Pubmed.

Is 7 keto less bioavailable orally than DHEA?

Thanks.

#8 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

I haven't checked, but in theory. DHEA is very similar in structure to the androgens (its two conversion steps away) and all non alpha-alkylated androgens of which I am aware are subject to very significant first-pass elimination unless they manage to piggy-back on lipids and enter the lymphatic system (a-la some prohormones). I will investigate this, but I'm not worried about this, since even if there are issues with oral bio-availability there are ways around it.

#9 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:17 PM

If I recall correctly 7OXO is competitive for a certain rate limited enzymes as required for the formation of cortisol. It seems that this is one of the reasons it helps with weight loss better than regular DHEA. Not much is required to be effective. I ran out of my stock and my weight loss has certainly tapered off. It was going much faster when I was taking the 20mg size 7OXO I purchased on closeout last year.

I also think it made me a bit sharper than normal. It is slightly neurostimulating and hormone ballancing as well as aiding in fat loss IMHO.

#10 starr

• 79 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:05 AM

If I recall correctly 7OXO is competitive for a certain rate limited enzymes as required for the formation of cortisol. It seems that this is one of the reasons it helps with weight loss better than regular DHEA. Not much is required to be effective. I ran out of my stock and my weight loss has certainly tapered off. It was going much faster when I was taking the 20mg size 7OXO I purchased on closeout last year.

I also think it made me a bit sharper than normal. It is slightly neurostimulating and hormone ballancing as well as aiding in fat loss IMHO.

How do you feel now that you're off of it? I was taking regular DHEA for a couple of months and as soon as I stopped my blood pressure got very low and I felt really tired.

#11 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

I ran out of the 7OXO and have not found an affordable source for it as yet. The effect was purely one of less weight loss and a little less of the mental sharpness I had been experiencing. I did find and start taking Pregnenolone in place of the 7OXO and it is not quite the same but does seem to help. It is the immediate precursor of DHEA and several other neurosteroid type chemicals.

#12 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

syr_,

you remarked that 7-oxo (= 7 keto?) dhea has poor oral bioavailability?  My understanding is the ordinary DHEA has decent bioavailability -- check out the numerous studies of oral DHEA in various conditions on Pubmed.

Is 7 keto less bioavailable orally than DHEA?

Yes, 7oxo = 7-keto.
And, yes, normal DHEA has good bioavailabilty, altough for high doses a transdermal delivery is preferred.

#13 macanizer

• 53 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:09 PM

bump

Any good source for the topical 7-oxo? I ordered Avant Labs' Ab-Solved but got an email saying they're out of stock. Everywhere else I've looked says it's discontinued.

#14 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

http://www.1fast400....roducts_id=1197

#15 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

Seems to me that with hormones one should be getting a blood test to determine the amount of DHEA one is actually producing and then tailor your supplementation to bringing levels to that of say a 21 year old. Too much DHEA has to go somewhere metabolically (converted to progesterone, testosterone etc.) and supplementing it could throw things out of whack. Personally I would want only the amount of DHEA that is needed and definitely no more as I am not a fan of gross hormonal imbalances, been there done that and its not fun. If you have insurance and a reasonable doctor, lab tests should be cheap and are well worth the time to find out what you need and what you don't need. Randomly supplementing hormones like you would non toxic vitamins is a recipe for disaster.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

Oooohhh... testosterone....

Kloggg get hyooooooge!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users