- - - - -

N02 Enhancers? Good or evil?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:25 AM

Greetings

I wonder if anyone can throw some light on this one... I am considering adding N02 supplements to my regime to increse both skeletal and neural vascularity. I have, however, heard that this can be neuro-toxic.

Does anyone have a point in the right direction?

Tracer out.

#2 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:33 AM

So you're looking to boost eNOS and nNOS but for what specific purpose? Nitric Oxide in itself can act as a pro-ox but it has a very short half-life, perhaps because it has a strong affinity for oxygen molecules. So NO can bind with molecular oxygen to form dinitrotrioxide N2O3 or with superoxide O2- to form peroxynitrite ONOO-. Both are potent pro-oxidants but SOD removes O2- thus decreasing ONOO-.

All in all, I'm not in favor of increasing NO as it will invariably increase the most potent pro-oxidants as well. Seems counterproductive.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 07:49 AM

Ah... I see. So it's oxidative damage that's the problem.

I want to do this for athletic performance. It will be a relatively short term thing (8 Weeks) and I am looking for the permanent vascular enhancement that is touted by these supps.

#4 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:39 AM

Are you looking for increased vasodialtion to muscles to delay fatigue? Buffering H+ will increase muscular endurance and help stave off that burn your muscles experience as lactic acid is formed and H+ is produced. Beta alanine at 4-6g per day divided into however you choose would be a better alternative.

If you're looking to increase muscular pump I discourage you from doing so. This pump effect that a lot of bodybuilders like is counterproductive. Capillaries dilate to such an extent that there is so much blood flow that the arterioules and venoules are pinched off which actually reduces blood flow. In essence the blood pools in muscle cells and lack of oxygen and nutrient flow actually causes the muscles to fatigue quicker.

#5 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:54 PM

I don't intend to use it during workouts. For me the increased NO2 causes decreased maximal force output whihc is also counter-productive. What I do want it for is just to increase circulation inbetween work-outs. I imagine I will be coasting on the tail-end of my dose as I head towards the workout. Not a "vein-busting" pump, but just increased circulation. Remember, as a powerlifter, if I get a pump at any point, I'm doing it wrong!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 tracer

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:56 PM

Are you looking for increased vasodialtion to muscles to delay fatigue? Buffering H+ will increase muscular endurance and help stave off that burn your muscles experience as lactic acid is formed and H+ is produced. Beta alanine at 4-6g per day divided into however you choose would be a better alternative.

If you're looking to increase muscular pump I discourage you from doing so. This pump effect that a lot of bodybuilders like is counterproductive. Capillaries dilate to such an extent that there is so much blood flow that the arterioules and venoules are pinched off which actually reduces blood flow. In essence the blood pools in muscle cells and lack of oxygen and nutrient flow actually causes the muscles to fatigue quicker.

By the way, so will baking soda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users