• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Movie Night - Novamente and AGI Video

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Leis

• 866 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:21 AM

Yesterday we held our second h+ movie night at my apartment. We watched all of "Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) and the Singularity" and most of "The Novamente Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)", both featuring Dr. Ben Goertzel. We paused the videos frequently for further discussion.

Keep in mind that in our group we have physics graduate students, biotech entrepreneurs, and spacecraft operations members, among others. None of us are AGI researchers, but all of us are very interested in the topic. The first video is a good introduction for people like us. The second video was much more technical. We will try to finish it at our next movie night in a couple weeks.

Some of us had difficulty seeing the connection between Dr. Goertzel's philosophy of patternism and Novemente's proposed AGI implementation. I don't think any of us had a problem with the philosophy - it sounds like an interesting approach to thinking and the mind - but how you actually create something concrete from this was very unclear. Personally, I think I could only potentially make that conceptual leap after spending a lot of time studying philosophy, computer science, and Novamente's approach. It all sounds good, but I really am not in a position to judge one way or the other. Not that my judgment is necessary :)

The two biotech entrepreneurs in our group think that we will reach human uploading technology before AGI. They believe that uploading is the "easier" problem to solve. We actually spend a lot of time in our meetings and movie nights discussing uploading (and we should have a presentation in a couple weeks to better inform us about the idea). I personally hold onto the (conceit?) that there is something individual and unique about our self, and that what makes "me" would be lost during destructive uploading, regardless of how close the copy me turned out to be. The uplink supporters in our group say that we are basically a different person when we wake up in the morning, so what is the big deal? Some philosophers even suggest that our sense of continuity is itself a conceit. I'll definitely need more information to keep on top of this interesting topic.

As for AGI, the biotech guys also think this technology may be much more dangerous than uploading. Do you trust an alien mind created from scratch or a transfered human mind with all its evolutionary baggage? We spent a lot of time discussing AGI versus human mind sandboxes and whether or not sandboxes would even be necessary (or might they drive AGI and human minds insane with limitations?)

Pizza, soda, Cheetos, AGI and uploading - what better way to spend a Friday night!?

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:40 AM

Sounds like a fun night. Although I haven't been to one in a quite a while, I use to attend the NYTA meet ups (which usually took place in the back room of some dimly lit night club down in the village before hours - I'm not kidding). Some of the people you meet at these types of events are truly fascinating. Often the thought that I found popping into my mind was that of earlier cultural movements and their similar humble beginnings. It just struck me as somehow incredible that a group of ten or twelve revolutionaries sat in the corner getting served their choice of red or white, all the while the servers were completely oblivious to the reality of the situation.

Pizza, soda, Cheetos

You'd better watch out Richard. The health nazis are going to have a field day with you! [lol]

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Richard Leis

• Topic Starter
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:34 AM

Zerowave and I have both read Great Mambo Chicken and the Transhuman Condition. We were struck by how often Tucson, AZ seemed to be the center, or at least an important destination, of grassroots transhumanists and space organizations, like the L5 Society. Not that h+ has generated that sort of interest, but it is nice to know the history of such activity in this area. Humble beginnings, indeed.

Based on the opinions of other h+ members, I changed my mind about junk food :) Truly radical life extension probably won't come from dietary changes, though everyone should decide for themselves whether a few extra days, months, or years are worth the deliciousness of Cheetos. Of course, it works the other way - spurge on the junk food and maybe you radically start cutting your days, months or years.

To Cheeto or not to Cheeto? That is the orange-dusted question. Fortunately, Cheetos are now a rare treat for me instead of bag or more a week habit.

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

Great, Richard.

As you know, we have and ImmInst topic on AGI and the Singularity here:
http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=11&t=11197

#5 Richard Leis

• Topic Starter
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

That is a great reminder, Bruce. A link to that topic is going on the h+ site Library page for AGI. Although I read along with that topic while it was being discussed, it might be a good idea to read it again now that I have watched these videos.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#6 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:23 PM

Pizza, soda, Cheetos

I might suggest some healthier foods. Edit: whoops. Don already saw this...

Richard: where did this take place? Edit: I see, Arizona.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users