- - - - -

Resveratrol Source

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:25 AM

Have there been any human studies on resveratrol so far? From all the popular media sources I have read -- WSJ, NY Times, etc. I have not seen any studies in humans referenced. Are there proven benefits in humans? I already ordered a couple of bottled BTW, will receive soon.

#32 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:24 AM

Are there proven benefits in humans?

The answer is no, but I'm hopeful. It works in yeast, worms, fruit flies, fish and now mice. That's over a billion years of evolution. I would be most surprised if it had no effects in humans.

As of November 2006 there is only one published human trial in the scientific literature and that was for safety, not efficacy. Single (one day only) oral doses of 1.0, 2.5 and 5.0 grams were given to 29 volunteers. No serious adverse events were noted. [23]. There is no human evidence yet that quantities found in red wine or in standard supplements are sufficient for any health effect.

Dr. Sinclair is in early phase 2 trails of a sirtuin activator drug that we should have data on in the next couple years. As for now it's just roll of the dice.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

Dr. Sinclair is in early phase 2 trails of a sirtuin activator drug that we should have data on in the next couple years. As for now it's just roll of the dice.

The abstract below is for a paper that might give a hint as to what molecules he may be developing. I do not have access to the paper (the abstract is from blackwell synergy, not pub med: http://tinyurl.com/yeq4rc If anyone has the paper and would like to share, it would be appreciated.)

-----------------------------

Aging Cell
Online Early
doi:10.1111/j.1474-9726.2006.00259.x
Volume 0 Issue 0

Design and synthesis of compounds that extend yeast replicative lifespan
Hongying Yang, Joseph A. Baur, Allen Chen, Christine Miller and David A. Sinclair

Summary

This past decade has seen the identification of numerous conserved genes that extend lifespan in diverse species, yet the number of compounds that extend lifespan is relatively small. A class of compounds called STACs, which were identified as activators of Sir2/SIRT1 NAD+-dependent deacetylases, extend the lifespans of multiple species in a Sir2-dependent manner and can delay the onset of age-related diseases such as cancer, diabetes and neurodegeneration in model organisms. Plant-derived STACs such as fisetin and resveratrol have several liabilities, including poor stability and relatively low potency as SIRT1 activators. To develop improved STACs, stilbene derivatives with modifications at the 4' position of the B ring were synthesized using a Horner-Emmons-based synthetic route or by hydrolyzing deoxyrhapontin. Here, we describe synthetic STACs with lower toxicity toward human cells, and higher potency with respect to SIRT1 activation and lifespan extension in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. These studies show that it is possible to improve upon naturally occurring STACs based on a number of criteria including lifespan extension.

Edited by maxwatt, 02 January 2007 - 07:51 PM.

#34 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

Guess what real big surprise here everybody. Longevinex is now working on a 100mg Resveratrol capsule. I don´t want to know how much Longevinex will charge for a 100mg capsule since their 40mg capsule was an arm and a leg as it is.

The 40mg Longevinex is a waste. Hence, why they´re making a 100mg capsule now. It´s most likely to keep up with competition. Since, you have another Resveratrol Brand having 100mg already.

If Longevinex is so much better, why don´t they simply test the competitors at these new increased dosages. They won´t because ultimately it will hurt them agains like Longevinex´s own March 15, 2006 testing did. That why you never see the study posted clearly on Longevinex.com and why they won´t tell you the Brand of Product B´s Vcaps ever.

Please don´t just accept the argument that Longevinex must be the best because that´s all they do. Kyolic does only garlic and now a recent study just yesterday Jan. 7, 2007 said that: Garlic supplements show no effect on heart risk factors:

http://news.yahoo.co...garlic_heart_dc

Garlic shows no effect on heart risk factors

Sun. Jan. 7, 2007 5:40 AM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Though garlic is touted for heart health, new research suggests that garlic supplements have no effect on several heart disease risk factors.

In a study of 90 overweight smokers, European researchers found that those who took a garlic powder supplement for three months showed no changes in their cholesterol levels or several other markers of heart disease risk.

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, adds to the conflicting evidence on garlic and heart health. A number of studies have found that garlic supplements may help lower blood cholesterol, and possibly blood pressure, but other studies have failed to find such benefits.

In the new study, researchers looked at whether a garlic supplement could affect heart risk factors other than the usual suspects of high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

Along with blood cholesterol, they measured participants' levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) and other blood proteins that indicate the degree of inflammation in the arteries. They also measured several blood substances that reflect how well the blood vessel walls are working.

Both of these factors -- inflammation and blood vessel function -- are believed to be key in heart disease risk. However, the study found that garlic may have no effect on them.

After three months, men and women who were assigned to take the garlic supplement showed no changes in either these measures or their cholesterol levels. In contrast, those given the cholesterol drug atorvastatin ( Lipitor) showed a drop not only in cholesterol, but also in levels of CRP and another inflammation marker called TNF-alpha.

This makes it "unlikely" that garlic can protect the heart by combating high cholesterol or inflammation, write the researchers, led by Dr. Martijn B.A. van Doorn of the Center for Human Drug Research in Leiden, the Netherlands.

Of the 90 adults they followed, a third were randomly assigned to take 2 grams of the garlic supplement each day. Another third took 40 milligrams of Lipitor per day, and the rest were given inactive placebo pills.

Compared with the placebo group, the Lipitor group had, on average, a 53 percent drop in "bad" LDL cholesterol, a 20 percent dip in CRP levels and a 42 percent decline in TNF-alpha. In contrast, the garlic group showed no clear differences from the placebo group, the study found.

The findings, van Doorn's team concludes, suggest that garlic powder -- and probably garlic in general -- "has no relevant place" in preventing or treating high cholesterol or the inflammation that marks artery damage.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, December 2006.

I don´t think you will see this posted on kyolic.com. Likewise, Longevinex.com won´t post study results with full disclosure because they also know they will lose business.

The lowest successful dose of Resveratrol was using the human equivalent dose of 5mg per 1kg of body weight so all adults would need two to five 100mg Resveratrol capsules daily depending on their body weight. Hence, why Dr. Sinclair is using this same formula for his family, and half his labd.

The French only have a little higher average life expectancy over Americans. Probably, due to only trace amounts of Resveratrol consumed from their red wine. Even, the best French Pinot Noir might be 3 to 5 mg per 5 ounce glass. You´ll get alcohol poisoning in order to try to get what you get from a good Resveratrol supplement.

A Womens World article that Dr. Sinclair talked to years back said 100mg of Resveratrol daily can add 10 years to one´s life. But, in order to get the same results as CR-Calorie Restriction being that of a Journal stated that: only 1,100 calories a day can potentially add 30 to 50 years. So, the above formula of at least 5mg per 1kg of body weight would then appear to be the more appropriate dose to follow.

Just as the user: curious sle pointed out just 5 postings ago. A study showing Resveratrol lasts up to 3 years when combined with grape seed extract. Thanks for that information by the way.

Hey rflalonde Iherb.com lets you return any unopened bottle within 60 days of the invoice. Just so you know but maybe you ordered the Natures Way Resveratrol more than 60 days ago.

Trans-Resveratrol now has expanded the lifespan on essentially anything that the researchers try it on. Mice, fish, fruit flies, yeast. The recent mice study was the most impressive.

#35 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:10 PM

Hey rflalonde Iherb.com lets you return any unopened bottle within 60 days of the invoice. Just so you know but maybe you ordered the Natures Way Resveratrol more than 60 days ago.

Doh... I didn't know that, and I just threw out the box and paperwork yesterday from my recent order. I have five extra bottles of the Nature's Way resveratrol that I'd like to exchange for Country Life. Thanks for the heads up though.

#36 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

Aging Cell
Online Early
doi:10.1111/j.1474-9726.2006.00259.x
Volume 0 Issue 0

Design and synthesis of compounds that extend yeast replicative lifespan
Hongying Yang, Joseph A. Baur, Allen Chen, Christine Miller and David A. Sinclair

Um, it looks as if the acetylated version (big surprise huh? :-) ) is the most effective in vivo even if not the most active in vitro. Let's see what trickles down with time.

#37 rflalonde

• 20 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:53 AM

After re-reading all the posts, especially regarding the 5mg/kg dosage, plus emoden and diarrhea, I have ordered 500 grams of the Orchid product through Paul Wakfur.

#38 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:58 PM

BAC has a new resveratrol powder that is just 50% extract only. I"m going to buy this once my Country life I *just* ordered 2 days ago runs out.

Resveratrol Powder, pure polygonum cuspidatum 50% extract. 25 grams. 125, 100mg servings per container. For those using higher dosages of resveratrol. $12.00

#39 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:06 AM

I was telling people to hold off because the price was going to tumble. It will probably drop even more but that's a great price.

#40 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:29 AM

It's a very fair retail price. That's $480 per kilogram, between four and five times the price of bulk material in 50 kg quantities at the source: the standard supplement maker markup. If others match BAC, then BAC will no doubt cut their margin.

Watch out for a laxative effect though. Lower quality extracts contain too much emodin, as I've posted elsewhere. All research studies have been done with pure resveratrol, not with 50% extracts. While they are probably effective, we don't know if some other substance in the plant extract will interfere with resveratrol's action.

Don't expect the price to tumble very much more soon. Demand keeps increasing, and supplies are limited until the next harvest of P. cuspidatum in China. That will probably be late summer. There could be a price drop then.

#41 gwoodlewistown

• 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:32 AM

Since P. cuspidatum is considered a noxious weed in many parts of the U.S., has anyone thought of growing their own?

#42 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

Not really....got enough weeds! I'd rather just go for the synthetic used in Sinclair's studies. Unfortunately, I've got a lot more money than time to spend tending weeds...

Maybe when I become a gentleman farmer....

#43 p_d_m

• 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hi,

I'm very pleased to have found this forum, because available info on resveratrol is confusing and contradictory.

I have purchased 'Purple Defense' containing 650mg of muscadine grape seed ~ not sure how much resveratrol that is.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this brand, please?

Thank you.

#44 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

I'm very pleased to have found this forum, because available info on resveratrol is confusing and contradictory.

I have purchased 'Purple Defense' containing 650mg of muscadine grape seed ~ not sure how much resveratrol that is.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this brand, please?

Thank you.

I do not know this particular brand, but grape seeds contain little resveratrol. While they may contain other beneficial substances, you would need to get your resveratrol elsewhere.

If a product does not specify the amount of resveratrol on the label, assume there is none.

#45 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

Well, likely there is some resveratrol in this product, but, as maxwatt notes,
it's likely a tiny amount. I would not consider it a substantial source of resveratrol,
especially when many focused and quantity specified resveratrol supplements are available from reputable supplement suppliers.

#46 p_d_m

• 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

It is advertised as being particularly high in resveratrol because it is from the muscadinre grape which, apparently, has more resveratrol that other types of grape.

#47 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:04 PM

It is advertised as being particularly high in resveratrol because it is from the muscadinre grape which, apparently, has more resveratrol that other types of grape.

Double nothing is still nothing. Twice as much as other grapes is still very little. If it had a significant amount, more than a few milligrams,, they would state that on the label. Hype and rip-off.

PS: the resveratrol is mostly in the skin. This product is made from the seeds.

Edited by maxwatt, 10 March 2007 - 11:38 PM.

#48 ironchet

• 66 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:05 AM

There's a liquid resveratrol on iherb. Has anyone tried it or would consider giving it a shot.

http://www.iherb.com...9355385534&at=0

1 oz serving has 300 mg resveratrol.

#49 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:12 AM

There's a liquid resveratrol on iherb. Has anyone tried it or would consider giving it a shot.

http://www.iherb.com...9355385534&at=0

1 oz serving has 300 mg resveratrol.

According to their label, a 1 oz serving has 300 mg of "resveratrol extract". The amount of resveratrol is thus unknown. If it's supposed to be dissolved in the drink, then it contains next to nothing, as resveratrol is almost insoluble in water. They did say "shake before serving" so it could be in suspension. Still, there's no telling how much it really has due to the misleading labeling. I'd stay away from it.

#50 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:06 PM

Ya. I left a review of that liquid nonsense @ iherb.com: 1 star (way miserable!)

#51 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:16 AM

I've been taking 4 x 100 mg per cap version made by jarrow. Anyone know about the quality of their resveratrol?

#52 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

Jarrow has a reputation of high quality. I'd expect their resveratrol to be what they claim, at the very least.

#53 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

Thanks... Well, it's difficult for me (an amateur in all this..) to know what exactly they're claiming.

Each jarrow cap contains 100 mg of resveratrols (3,4,5-trihydroxystilbenes) and resveratrolglucosides (piceids) extracted from Huzhang (“tiger cane”)root.

Does anyone know what I could expect the % of this to be trans-resveratrol?

Thanks again! Cheers, ~katz

#54 alamar

• 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:44 PM

Hello

I had taken one single dose of Nature's Way Resveratrol Synergic formula for like 3 weeks and I since that I started to experiance some disorders with sleep.
Often I woke just after 3-4 hours of sleep with a big headache and I wasn't able to sleep any longer. In something like 8 hours I again was sleepy.

One day I woke 5am with only 3 hours of sleep, and I tryed to go sleep 7pm and I woke in just a one hour with very strange muscle problems in the whole body, especially right hand cramps on which I slept. I had some strong serious cramp and shakes of all body muscles and it remained for a long time, a few hours. It was painful and very scary experiance.

I've been drinking (and still I'am) a lot of tomato juice and I'm taking some magnesium b6 supplement if you ask about it.

I have stop to take this Resveratrol formula but now I'm thinking to take it again, I'm not sure what made my problems.

Any ideas?

PS - I'm young and I'm pre-diagnosed as a person with a very high nervous electrical
conductivity.
PS2 - Sorry for any mistakes in my English.

#55 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:09 PM

I've been drinking (and still I'am) a lot of tomato juice and I'm taking some magnesium b6 supplement if you ask about it.

Some tomato juices might have MSG (V8 does, I think), so too much of that could cause problems if you are sensitive to MSG. And if your B6 supplementation is too high (I'm not sure what dosage is considered too high), I think it can cause neurological problems.

#56 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hello

I had taken one single dose of Nature's Way Resveratrol Synergic formula for like 3 weeks and I since that I started to experiance some disorders with sleep.
Often I woke just after 3-4 hours of sleep with a big headache and I wasn't able to sleep any longer. In something like 8 hours I again was sleepy.

One day I woke 5am with only 3 hours of sleep, and I tryed to go sleep 7pm and I woke in just a one hour with very strange muscle problems in the whole body, especially right hand cramps on which I slept. I had some strong serious cramp and shakes of all body muscles and it remained for a long time, a few hours. It was painful and very scary experiance.

I have stop to take this Resveratrol formula but now I'm thinking to take it again, I'm not sure what made my problems.

Any ideas?

PS - I'm young and I'm pre-diagnosed as a person with a very high nervous electrical
conductivity.

There are many supplements I can't take because I'm hyper (not manic) by nature. Resv might be one of them. I've not tried it yet. But I do get insomniac if I take R-ALA or Acetyl-L-Carnitine-Arginate. When I first started taking supplements, I had some very strong reactions to many of them.

The recommended way to take a drug (that's not a germ killer) or a supplement is to start off at 1/4 or less of maintenance dose and slowly work up. Resveratrol, as people are taking it, is in the concentration of a drug. There are many people who bail out of drug studies for the types of things you describe. If you read the side effects people suffer taking many drugs you'd be scared. US air carriers used to have medicine chests. If you had a headache, you asked for an aspirin. Airlines no longer carry these items because of legal liabilities. Yes, aspirin is not for all of us at all times. So perhaps the amount of the formula you're taking is not for you, at least to start. Taking any B vitamin in isolation is not optimal, BTW.

#57 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Hello

Any ideas?

conductivity.

Your symptoms match those of vitamin B6 overdose. Characteristics of pyridoxine overdose neuropathy syndrome
This is potentially lethal, though it takes a massive overdose. Usually the symptoms are reversible if supplementation is stopped in time, though numbness of the fingers and toes may be permanent in some cases.

Edited by maxwatt, 19 November 2007 - 10:35 AM.

#58 alamar

• 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

Well unfortunately (almost) all magnesium supplements here has vitamin b6 for better absorpion. I took 6mb vitamin b6 (300%) magnesium supplement almost daily for a long time.
I had been interested about that overdose and from what I know ~12mb for a longer time might be toxic.
I'm said to take magnesium and potassium (I'm drinking tomato) by a doctor btw. Maybe I should also try to take more magnesium naturally instead of supplement..

About Nature's Way Resveratrol, I can't take smaller dosage coz I took lowest possible daily.

#59 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:28 PM

You could try supplementing with magnesium glycinate.

Stephen

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

Well unfortunately (almost) all magnesium supplements here has vitamin b6 for better absorpion. I took 6mb vitamin b6 (300%) magnesium supplement almost daily for a long time.
I had been interested about that overdose and from what I know ~12mb for a longer time might be toxic.
I'm said to take magnesium and potassium (I'm drinking tomato) by a doctor btw. Maybe I should also try to take more magnesium naturally instead of supplement..

It takes hundreds of milligrams per day to poison yourself.

http://www.nap.edu/o...d=6015&page=184

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users