Photo
- - - - -

Layman's Explanation what Dopamine Reuptake means

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 salesman

• 115 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:23 AM

I dont want a pubmed article on this. I want someone that knows what Dopamine Reuptake Inhibtor means in the grand scheme of things. What is the chemistry/mode of action in my brain?

#2 ~ prometheus ~

• 66 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

when neurotransmitters are released, they hop across the synapse of a neuron and onto the receptors of the post-synaptic neuron. a transporter protein then ferries the neurotransmitter back to the pre-synaptic neuron, in order to recycle it, and also to reduce the transmitters action at this receptor. this process is called reuptake. a DA reuptake inhibitor means that the transporter protein is blocked, which means it can't transport the transmitter back to the pre-synaptic neuron. this causes > levels of dopamine.

i don't think i can describe it in any simpler terms.

re mode of action, it's unclear what you're asking. what does it do? it's best to find out which parts of the brain have the highest density of dopamine receptors, and to which parts of the brain these neurons send their projections. increased dopamine would affect motivation, salience, locomotor activity, movement, amongst others

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

That's a pretty good explanation, ecco. Just in case you needed an even simpler one, salesman: It's like the dopamine is running on a tap in a bath but there is a drain so the bath never fills up. A re-uptake inhibitor is like using something to block the drain so the dopamine gets to accumulate. The more dopamine accumulates, the stronger and more persistent the signal between neurons that respond to dopamine.

Neurons that respond to dopamine (dopaminergic neurons) are in areas of the brain that regulate movement, memory, focus and most importantly pleasure. It's because dopamine can mediate the feelings of pleasure that drugs which increase dopamine levels (such as cocaine) can become addictive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users