Neglected Diseases & Orphaned Drugs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 03 July 2003 - 11:29 AM

This article caught my attention as respresenting how the market is "inadequate" to meet the larger specter of demand on a global scale and why it too often lags behind real demand, especially where profit is not obvious.

What is interesting is that some groups through "Rational Philanthropy" can challenge this shortcoming and push the market along to initiate healthy competition by this method. The Global Marketplace is not omniscient and must occassional be "primed" like a pump to get it started. [":)]

New Body Set to Fight Killer Diseases West Ignores
9 minutes ago Science - Reuters

GENEVA (Reuters) - Diseases that kill millions of poor people every year are ignored by Western firms because drugs to combat them make no money, a new research body said as it was launched on Thursday.

The Drugs for Neglected Diseases Initiative (DNDi) links the charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders (news - web sites)) with public health bodies from developing countries in a bid to plug a gaping hole between health research and global illness.

"A mere 10 percent of the world's health research efforts go into diseases that account for 90 percent of the global disease burden," DNDi said.

"Most neglected diseases...almost exclusively affect people in developing countries who are too poor to pay for any kind of treatment," the group added in a launch statement.

"These patients are too deeply impoverished to constitute a market that can attract investment in drug research and development."

The initiative, backed by research institutes in Brazil, France, India, Kenya and Malaysia, plans to spend $250 million over the next 12 years developing drugs to fight illnesses such as sleeping sickness, leishmaniasis and Chagas disease.

Sleeping sickness has made a massive comeback in sub-Saharan Africa and left untreated, can be fatal.

Leishmaniasis, which destroys the immune system, is rife in rural areas of the Indian subcontinent and Chagas disease, found in south America, is caused by a blood-sucking bug that slowly eats away at the internal organs.

Together, they threaten 350 million people, but existing therapies are often painful and toxic -- and decades old.

"Patients in developing countries are being forced to use drugs with failing efficacy and significant side-effects," Yves Champey, interim director of DNDi, said in a statement.

"They deserve a better deal. DNDi will mobilize scientific innovation to create new medicines for the world's most neglected patients," he said.

The World Health Organization (news - web sites) (WHO) and the World Bank (news - web sites) are also supporting the initiative, which plans to develop drugs from existing compounds as well as fund and coordinate research to identify new drug prospects.

Its success depends on pharmaceutical companies allowing its scientists access to their compound libraries, expertise and research facilities, as well as on public and private donations.

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 July 2003 - 06:10 PM

Yes, this is one of those issues that I think the UN should be involved in. But $250 mil over 12 years?? I am not very impressed. American companies spend more money than that to develope a better no stick band-aid. These kinds of drastic inequalities are why I believe immortality will arrive as a stratefied phenomenon.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 03 July 2003 - 07:01 PM

Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders (news - web sites)) is technically what is classified as an NGO, Non Governmental Organization; a charity as most people know them. It just happens to be one of the most responsible and professional ones I have seen.

The UN is lagging here too and SO is the US Government. These are bunch wonderful, brilliant, lunatics trying to get out in front of the Tsunami to ride it and not try to stop it. No offense Don but you try coming up with a few hundred million for a project like this.

If I were them I would try and get a consortium of a few more smaller nations with biomedical programs to sign on and this could build into a revenue generating program as the economies stabilize and benefit, but the risk is VERY high, and the rate of return is seen as low from a present short term market strategy. Longevity may someday lead to people taking the "Long View" but for now most bottom liners are pretty myopic.

The World Bank respects them as legitimate and will make funding available and the UN regulates these types of operations but this is virgin territory. Be nice to get Cuba to sign on they have a surplus staff and production ability that could create a win/win for stabilizing the rising tension there too. [":)]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users