Photo
- - - - -

glucuronolactone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrak1979

• 232 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:34 PM

I noticed this ingredient in red bull and other energy drinks that supposedly increases mental ability, reaction speed, and endurance. It's called glucuronolactone? Does anybody have any info or have personal experience with this?

#2 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:02 AM

I've bought it in bulk and taken up to few grams at once, never felt anything from it. Anyone else?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 acantelopepope

• 221 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

I've bought it in bulk and taken up to few grams at once, never felt anything from it. Anyone else?

I took 500mg last night after a long day... Can't say for sure but I felt energized and clear-headed enough to do another 3 hours of homework afterwards... I'll try some more today after I've established a baseline to determine whether that was placebo. It's really really cheap and an ingredient in Red Bull (though I read one study claiming the only useful thing in Red Bull was its caffeine).

Anyone else used it?

Edited by acantelopepope, 09 October 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#4 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:23 PM

No, and I have no idea what it is. My guess is it removes lactic acid from tired muscles..but it's definitely not a nootropic, at least I couldn't find anything about it in scientific literature.

I took 500mg last night after a long day... Can't say for sure but I felt energized and clear-headed enough to do another 3 hours of homework afterwards... I'll try some more today after I've established a baseline to determine whether that was placebo. It's really really cheap and an ingredient in Red Bull (though I read one study claiming the only useful thing in Red Bull was its caffeine).

Anyone else used it?

#5 acantelopepope

• 221 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

No, and I have no idea what it is. My guess is it removes lactic acid from tired muscles..but it's definitely not a nootropic, at least I couldn't find anything about it in scientific literature.

Anyone else used it?

Don't use the word "definitely" when you "have no idea what it is", and then proceed to guess about "tired muscles". Is human growth hormone a nootropic? Most wouldn't consider it to be, but does it increase recovery time and produce energy in the moderate user? "Definitely." IMO, that's enough to consider it mind bending, i.e. Nootropic.

The verdict is still out on glucuronolactone.

#6 cherikoff

• 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

It is a natural acidifier which maintains the low pH they need in drinks to assist antimicrobial preservation yet it has a softer mouth feel than citrates or ascorbates, other common acidifiers.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 acantelopepope

• 221 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:29 PM

It is a natural acidifier which maintains the low pH they need in drinks to assist antimicrobial preservation yet it has a softer mouth feel than citrates or ascorbates, other common acidifiers.

Thank you.. that does make sense-- it doesn't have much of a taste at all, actually.

Took 700mg an hour ago. If there was an effect it was subtle, so I can't tell anyone for sure, but I feel more "clear-minded" than an hour ago.

Clearly glucuronolactone is not the next piracetam, but I've read that it also may have hepatic benefits as well as possibly providing an energy boost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users