Photo
- - - - -

Quercetin and SIRT1

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 hormesis

• 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

My conclusions are based admittedly on subjective experience, supported by some papers, and some inferences.  YMMV.  I would be pleased if others reported whether grapefruit juice seemed to increase the effects of resveratrol, or not.  My own experience is that resveratrol's effects were undeniable only in doses greater than 500 mg, and increased with the dose, up to 5 grams, which is the most I've  tried.  At that level, I noted irritable bowel syndrome unless I cut back.  Others have such symptoms at lower doses, some tolerate higher.  I'm currently oscillating between 4 and 3.5 grams.  I've considered dosing every 36 hours, but haven't tried it yet.  I use a 98% plant extract, the current batch has tested as 98.6% trans-resveratrol, with no measurable heavy metals.

Thanks Maxwatt for your help. I'm going to drop the quercetin. I think I have a couple hundred grams left if anyone wants it.

I've been playing around with different doses (nothing about 1.5g yet), pepper, green onions, and grape fruit,... but I "unfortunately" lack any arthritic markers that would reveal any bioavailability differences. I've noticed some endurance increases, but they could be explained by other supplements I've started.

I imagine that many on the board would appreciate it immensely if you'ld consider giving an every-other-day dosing experiment a try and sharing your observations with the board.

#62 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

http://www.earthtime...se,253393.shtml

Posted : Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:24:26 GMT
Author : Resveratrol Partners LLC
Category : PressRelease

SAN DIMAS, Calif., Jan. 9 /PRNewswire/ -- In response to consumer inquiries emanating from a misleading press release issued by a competing dietary supplement company, which falsely claims quercetin inhibits the bioavailability of resveratrol, Longevinex® provides the following information.

"Quercetin is one of the secrets of red wine. It works in tandem with resveratrol to make it more instantly available to tissues throughout the body," says Bill Sardi, spokesperson for Longevinex®, maker of a leading brand resveratrol dietary supplement.

A recently issued press release by a competing dietary supplement company, falsely claims quercetin inhibits bioavailability of resveratrol. "With no scientific substantiation for their claim, they are misleading many consumers," says Sardi.

"This distorts the science," says Sardi. Eight years ago researchers in Italy showed that quercetin is about ten times better at inhibiting immediate attachment of resveratrol to sulfur and glucuronate molecules in the liver than other molecules found in red wine and therefore "improves the bioavailability of resveratrol." Interested consumers can examine the evidence for themselves at the National Library of Medicine, here: [Xenobiotica 2000 Sep; 30(9):857-66 (http://www.ncbi.nlm....=EntrezSystem2. PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubm); 2000 Nov; 30(11):1047-54 (http://www.ncbi.nlm....=EntrezSystem2. PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubm); 2000 Jun; 30(6):609-17 (http://www.ncbi.nlm....=EntrezSystem2. PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubm)]

Sardi asks: "If there is a question over bioavailability of resveratrol when provided with quercetin, then how did Longevinex®, which provides both molecules, produce measurable declines in markers of oxidation and inflammation in endurance athletes in the first successful human study of a resveratrol supplement, at doses far lower than recommended by producers of resveratrol supplements that contain resveratrol only?" A press release describing the study is found here (http://mediaserver.p...d/571938/pr.pdf).

In that study, Longevinex® was found to be biologically active at dose (~120 milligrams) far less than what was used in a recent mouse study (1565 mg equivalent human dose), and far less than is recommended by other brands of resveratrol that do not contain quercetin.

"This is no surprise, since numerous studies indicate quercetin works synergistically to enhance the biological action of resveratrol. The effect is both additive and multiple," says Sardi. [Cancer Letters 2005 Feb 10; 218(2):141-51 (http://www.ncbi.nlm....=EntrezSystem2. PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubm); Journal Agriculture Food Chemistry 2005 Mar 23; 53(6):2015-21 (http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=EntrezSystem2 .PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pub).

What's to hide?

While there is scientific evidence that quercetin makes resveratrol more immediately available, there is no evidence for a claim by a competing company that their undisclosed technology doubles the absorption and utilization of resveratrol. Consumers need to be wary unless independent laboratory tests confirm this claim. "Research studies already estimate about 70% of resveratrol is absorbed, so I don't know how you double that number?" asks Sardi. [Drug Metabolism Disposition 2004 Dec; 32(12):1377-82 (http://www.ncbi.nlm....=EntrezSystem2. PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubm)]

Instant and long-term bioavailability

Interested consumers need to distinguish between instant and long-term bioavailability of resveratrol.

"Quercetin can be mischaracterized," says Sardi, "since it allows resveratrol more passes through the liver before it is finally conjugated (attached to) sulfur and glucuronate molecules. Eventually, all resveratrol is metabolized in the liver. Once bound to these molecules, resveratrol is, for a time, not biologically active, but this process prolongs the life of resveratrol in the blood circulation up to 9 hours. Otherwise, resveratrol has a short half life (time it takes for 50% to degrade), about 14 minutes."

"Nature takes over from there, producing an unlocking enzyme called glucuronidase, which is abundant at sites of inflammation, infection and malignancy. This enzyme releases unbound (free) resveratrol at the right time and place. It is nature's drug delivery system," says Sardi. This was all explained back in 2003-2004. [Biochemical Journal 374 (Pt 1):157-63, 2003 (http://www.biochemj....4/bj3740157.htm); J Pharmaceutical Sciences 93:2448-2457, 2004 (http://www3.intersci....wiley.com/cgi- bin/abstract/109572576/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0)]

Dosage concerns

Citing a recent human study where a single high-dose (500-5000 milligrams) of resveratrol did not produce a serious side effect, Biotivia claims their recommendation to take mega-dose resveratrol should be of no concern, but high-dose resveratrol like Biotivia recommends was not absolutely safe. There were side effects with just one mega-dose. There were 51 reported side effects (all transient and reversible) among 40 healthy volunteers, 12 of them at the 500 mg dose, and 20 at the 1000 mg dose. These side effects included abnormal blood tests, over-thinning of the blood, loose stool, headache, and anxiety reactions. [Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers Prevention 2007 Jun; 16(6):1246-52

For more answers to questions about potency and bioavailability of resveratrol, consumers are invited to visit: http://www.longevinex.com/

Resveratrol Partners LLC

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

http://www.earthtime...se,253393.shtml

(Text of Sardi's press release cut to avoid redundancy )

Resveratrol Partners LLC

Sardi's much vaunted potency studies of his product were done in vitro using the Fleur de Lys assay kit Biomol sells. It says nothing of what happens in the body.

Paper's referencing the fact that a metabolite of quercetin "mildly" inhibits SirT1 have been referenced periodically in various threads here for almost 12 months.

Mech Ageing Dev. 2006 Jul;127(7):618-27. Epub 2006 Apr 17.
SIRT1 stimulation by polyphenols is affected by their stability and metabolism.de Boer VC, de Goffau MC, Arts IC, Hollman PC, Keijer J.
PMID: 16603228

the major quercetin metabolite in humans, quercetin 3-O-glucuronide, slightly inhibited the recombinant SIRT1 activity which explains the lack of stimulatory action of quercetin in HT29 cells.

The catch is what is meant by "slightly". There is no question quercetin inhibits sulfonation and glucoridation of resveratrol by competitive binding, but to some extent it blocks the action of resveratrol, when its metabolite quercetin 3-O-glucuronide blocks the SirT1 receptor, inactivating it. It is probably more cost-effective to just use more of a less expensive and purer resveratrol product. One can probably get enough quercetin to block sulfonation from a glass of citrus juice, without getting enough to significantly block SirT1. Also, the emodin content of Longevinex is not stated, but since he uses a 50% extract, it will be on the order of 20 mg. Enough to be a mild laxative in one capsule. Two capsules won't be mild.

#64 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

In light of the possible problems with Quercetin supplementation I'm trying to restrict my quercetin intake to that from food. I've been taking BAC apple polyphenols. Anybody have any idea what, if any, would be the quercetin content/gram of that stuff?

#65 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

In light of the possible problems with Quercetin supplementation I'm trying to restrict my quercetin intake to that from food. I've been taking BAC apple polyphenols. Anybody have any idea what, if any, would be the quercetin content/gram of that stuff?

I asked ApplePoly the very same question and the quercetin content is minimal because it is a water soluble extract. It may or may not be the same with the BAC extract, so you might want to email them directly.

"The quercetin content of Apple Poly is very low (0.10%) because quercetin is
not water soluble. The extraction process used for Apple Poly is designed to
isolate the water soluble fractions- catechins, epicatechins, procyanidins,
chlorogenic acid.

The phloridzin content of Apple Poly is 4%. We also have an apple extracts
available that are standardized to as high as 80% phloridzin."

#66 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

Quercetin also induces an enzyme that glucuronidates resveratrol.

Pharm Res. 2000 Jan;17(1):21-6.
Induction of UDP-glucuronosyltransferase by the flavonoids chrysin and quercetin in Caco-2 cells.
Galijatovic A, Walle UK, Walle T.
Department of Cell and Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA.

PURPOSE: Dietary flavonoids have been reported to be potent inhibitors of drug metabolizing enzymes. In the present study we examined the inducing effect of three of these compounds, chrysin, quercetin and genistein, on UDP-glucuronosyltransferase (UGT) in the human intestinal cell line Caco-2. METHODS: The induction of UGT by flavonoid pretreatment was studied both in the intact cells and cell homogenates, measured as the glucuronidation of chrysin, and by immunoblot analysis of the UGT 1A protein. RESULTS: Exposure of Caco-2 cells to 50 microM chrysin resulted in a 3.8-fold increase in chrysin glucuronidation in intact cells (p < 0.0001) with a 38% decrease in sulfation (p < 0.01). In the cell homogenate the induction was much larger, 14-fold. The induction was slow to develop with maximum induction after 3-4 days. Interestingly, the isoflavonoid genistein was without effect. Immunoblot analysis of Caco-2 cell microsomes with a UGT1A subfamily-selective antibody showed a markedly increased band at about 59 kDa, consistent with induction of one or more UGT1A isoforms. A 5-week exposure of Caco-2 cells to low concentrations (10 microM) of chrysin or quercetin also showed markedly increased glucuronidation activity. CONCLUSIONS: Diet-mediated induction of intestinal UGT may be important for the bioavailability of carcinogens and other toxic chemicals as well as therapeutic drugs.

PMID: 10714603

#67 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:45 AM

Wow, Bill Sardi and James Betz dukin' it out! What the hell happened to our popcorn-eating emoticon?

#68 ilanso

• 155 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:48 AM

http://www.pr-inside...lth-r392290.htm

Tests Show RevGenetics Resveratrol Health Supplements are Top SIRT1 Activator Among Other Commercial Herbal Supplements

© Business Wire 2008
2008-01-17 19:04:04 -

- RevGenetics Anthony Loera, 305-938-0889 RevGenetics announced today that tests performed by BIOMOL Laboratories demonstrate that RevGenetics resveratrol health supplements activate SIRT1 better than any other commercially available herbal supplements tested in the last five years. BIOMOL tests show that RevGenetics herbal resveratrol in its X1000 capsule has the ability to activate the Sirtuin 1 gene and was at times
better than research-grade resveratrol.

"We are now at a point where the water/alcohol extraction process of resveratrol from plants allows the average consumer a quality product not seen in the past," says Anthony Loera, President of RevGenetics. "We are proud to offer simply the best herbal resveratrol supplement, based on independently tested quality and the highest SIRT1 activation in an herbal supplement available today."

In an e-mail from BIOMOL dated January 11, 2008, Mark Engleka, Ph.D., states the following regarding the RevGenetics tests: "In summary, your resveratrol performed as good or better than ours in stimulating the activity of SIRT1."

RevGenetics X1000 capsules are not the first herbal supplement shown to activate the Sirtuin 1 gene, but the product has a retail price less than one-quarter of competitors' prices and shows better SIRT1 activation.

"We believe our herbal resveratrol in the X1000 capsules will encourage people to seriously consider resveratrol to help maintain their quality of life," Loera says.

As an herbal supplement, these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This herbal product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

For more information about resveratrol health supplements, visit www.RevGenetics.com or e-mail info@revgenetics.com.

About RevGenetics

RevGenetics, is an herbal supplement company focused on providing and developing small molecule herbal supplements for overall health based on the resveratrol red wine molecule. RevGenetics prides itself in providing independently tested herbal products, as well as marketing and distributing unique health and nutritional supplements. RevGenetics currently provides the only 1000mg herbal resveratrol capsule on the market verified by AACL of Illinois for purity and safety, as well as BIOMOL International for SIRT1 gene activation.

¶ SIRT1 Activation Tests Performed by BIOMOL Research Laboratories Demonstrate the Benefits of RevGenetics Resveratrol Health Supplements

#69 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

quercetin info added :

The lipophilic character of quercetin suggests that it can cross enterocyte membranes via simple diffusion. Therefore, it should be more bioavailable than its glucosides, which require preliminary hydrolysis or active transport for absorption. However, the published human studies show that quercetin is less bioavailable than its glucosides. Assuming that low bioavailability of quercetin aglycone provided to humans as a pure substance is the result of its low solubility in the digestive tract, we studied its bioavailability from dietary sources in which quercetin was dispersed in the food matrix. In a randomized crossover study, 9 volunteers took a single dose of either shallot flesh (99.2% quercetin glucosides and 0.8% quercetin aglycone) or dry shallot skin (83.3% quercetin aglycone and 16.7% quercetin glucosides), providing 1.4 mg quercetin per kg of body weight. Blood samples were collected before and after consumption of shallot preparations. Plasma quercetin was measured on HPLC with electrochemical detection after plasma enzymatic treatment. The maximum plasma quercetin concentration of 1.02 ± 0.13 µmol/L was reached at 2.33 ± 0.50 h after shallot flesh consumption compared with 3.95 ± 0.62 µmol/L at 2.78 ± 0.15 h after dry skin consumption. The area under the concentration-time curve after dry skin consumption was 47.23 ± 7.53 µmol·h–1·L–1 and was significantly higher than that after shallot flesh intake (22.23 ± 2.32 µmol·h–1·L–1). When provided along with dietary sources, quercetin aglycone is more bioavailable than its glucosides in humans. Results point to the food matrix as a key factor.

http://jn.nutrition....tract/138/5/885

#70 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

SIRT1 stimulation by polyphenols is affected by their stability and metabolism.

Vincent C J de Boer, Marcus C de Goffau, Ilja C W Arts, Peter C H Hollman, Jaap Keijer
Silent information regulator two ortholog 1 (SIRT1) is the human ortholog of the yeast sir2 protein; one of the most important regulators of lifespan extension by caloric restriction in several organisms. Dietary polyphenols, abundant in vegetables, fruits, cereals, wine and tea, were reported to stimulate the deacetylase activity of recombinant SIRT1 protein and could therefore be potential regulators of aging associated processes. However, inconsistent data between effects of polyphenols on the recombinant SIRT1 and on in vivo SIRT1, led us to investigate the influence of (1) stability of polyphenols under experimental conditions and (2) metabolism of polyphenols in human HT29 cells, on stimulation of SIRT1. With an improved SIRT1 deacetylation assay we found three new polyphenolic stimulators. Epigallocatechin galate (EGCg, 1.76-fold), epicatechin galate (ECg, 1.85-fold) and myricetin (3.19-fold) stimulated SIRT1 under stabilizing conditions, whereas without stabilization, these polyphenols strongly inhibited SIRT1, probably due to H(2)O(2) formation. Using metabolically active HT29 cells we were able to show that quercetin (a stimulator of recombinant SIRT1) could not stimulate intracellular SIRT1. The major quercetin metabolite in humans, quercetin 3-O-glucuronide, slightly inhibited the recombinant SIRT1 activity which explains the lack of stimulatory action of quercetin in HT29 cells. This study shows that the stimulation of SIRT1 is strongly affected by polyphenol stability and metabolism, therefore extrapolation of in vitro SIRT1 stimulation results to physiological effects should be done with caution.

We could use Piperine to inhibit glucuronidation & therefore the formation of quercetin 3-O-glucuronide.

Then take it with Resveratrol. Enhanced resveratrol bioavailability without inhibition of SIRT1 by Quercetin metabolite. Possible?

Please comment.

#71 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

SIRT1 stimulation by polyphenols is affected by their stability and metabolism.

Vincent C J de Boer, Marcus C de Goffau, Ilja C W Arts, Peter C H Hollman, Jaap Keijer
Silent information regulator two ortholog 1 (SIRT1) is the human ortholog of the yeast sir2 protein; one of the most important regulators of lifespan extension by caloric restriction in several organisms. Dietary polyphenols, abundant in vegetables, fruits, cereals, wine and tea, were reported to stimulate the deacetylase activity of recombinant SIRT1 protein and could therefore be potential regulators of aging associated processes. However, inconsistent data between effects of polyphenols on the recombinant SIRT1 and on in vivo SIRT1, led us to investigate the influence of (1) stability of polyphenols under experimental conditions and (2) metabolism of polyphenols in human HT29 cells, on stimulation of SIRT1. With an improved SIRT1 deacetylation assay we found three new polyphenolic stimulators. Epigallocatechin galate (EGCg, 1.76-fold), epicatechin galate (ECg, 1.85-fold) and myricetin (3.19-fold) stimulated SIRT1 under stabilizing conditions, whereas without stabilization, these polyphenols strongly inhibited SIRT1, probably due to H(2)O(2) formation. Using metabolically active HT29 cells we were able to show that quercetin (a stimulator of recombinant SIRT1) could not stimulate intracellular SIRT1. The major quercetin metabolite in humans, quercetin 3-O-glucuronide, slightly inhibited the recombinant SIRT1 activity which explains the lack of stimulatory action of quercetin in HT29 cells. This study shows that the stimulation of SIRT1 is strongly affected by polyphenol stability and metabolism, therefore extrapolation of in vitro SIRT1 stimulation results to physiological effects should be done with caution.

We could use Piperine to inhibit glucuronidation & therefore the formation of quercetin 3-O-glucuronide.

Then take it with Resveratrol. Enhanced resveratrol bioavailability without inhibition of SIRT1 by Quercetin metabolite. Possible?

Please comment.

You could also drop the quercetin and just take a larger dose of resveratrol.

#72 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

Please comment.

See post #66.

#73 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:56 AM

maxwatt: I am actually planning to do that. However lets say if one is not afraid of using piperine, could there be an advantage of higher SIRT1 activation?

krillin: Are you implying that we should not use quercetin? Piperine could inhibit the glucuronidation and formation of the SIRT1 inhibiting quercetin metabolite and also at the same time inhibits glucuronidation of resveratrol I suppose. I think it might work. What do you think?

If we just use resveratrol by itself, no matter how high the dosage is, it will mostly end up as conjugates. I am not sure if I should rely on the conjugates to work on my body. Since resveratrol and not the conjugates has shown activity, I think it could be better to get as much resveratrol into the bloodstream as possible.

It's a dilemma. I'm becoming skeptical of resveratrol.

I mean, I still take it and I do get certain positive effects from it, however what we know about resveratrol at this point of time is not much.

Edited by Mortal combat, 11 August 2008 - 01:58 AM.

#74 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:35 AM

krillin: Are you implying that we should not use quercetin? Piperine could inhibit the glucuronidation and formation of the SIRT1 inhibiting quercetin metabolite and also at the same time inhibits glucuronidation of resveratrol I suppose. I think it might work. What do you think?

If we just use resveratrol by itself, no matter how high the dosage is, it will mostly end up as conjugates. I am not sure if I should rely on the conjugates to work on my body. Since resveratrol and not the conjugates has shown activity, I think it could be better to get as much resveratrol into the bloodstream as possible.

It's a dilemma. I'm becoming skeptical of resveratrol.

I mean, I still take it and I do get certain positive effects from it, however what we know about resveratrol at this point of time is not much.

Yes, that was my implication. I take no supplemental quercetin. The abstract doesn't give the magnitude of quercetin's effect, so let's assume that it's like chrysin and multiplies the enzyme(s) by a factor of 3.8. You'd need 75% enzyme inhibition just to break even. How much piperine are you prepared to take? I advise against the experiment, but would love to hear your results if you go ahead with it.

Resveratrol conjugates are something we just have to live with. We've discussed the possibility that they could be deconjugated in the body by beta-glucuronidase, so you may want to make sure that you're not taking any calcium d-glucarate to spoil it.

#75 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

Damn. I'm annoyed with quercetin.

maxwatt: How do you think of citrus bioflavonoids in terms of inhibiting sulfonation? They generally contain mainly Hesperidin, some Naringin/Naringenin (the main grapefruit bioflavonoids), Rutin, Quercetin (not in significant amounts to be concerned about I believe), etc. All these bioflavonoids taken together might have a different effect from taking one type by itself. Is it worth trying?

From one of your posts:

1: Exp Gerontol. 1982;17(3):213-7. Links
Quercetin, flavonoids and the life-span of mice.Jones E, Hughes RE.
A dietary supplement of 0.1% quercetin significantly reduced the life span of mice. The effect was predominantly on the 'shorter living' males. A blackcurrant juice extract, containing a mixture of flavonoids in addition to quercetin, prolonged significantly the life span of the 'older dying' females. The significance of these results vis-a-vis aging mechanisms and the dietary intake of quercetin is discussed.

PMID: 7140862 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Or if worth the trouble, I will make grapefruit juice with pulp/fibre filtered and drink with resveratrol. Along with piperine to block glucuronidation.

But I just realized that the St John's Wort I'm taking is inducing CYP3A4, the opposite effect of grapefruit juice(although it also inhibits CYP1A2).

Just which isoform(s) is/are relevant to the metabolism of resveratrol?

Edited by Mortal combat, 11 August 2008 - 08:42 AM.

#76 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

Sorry. Correction: Citrus bioflavonoids do not include quercetin but quercitrin. Quercetin is non-citrus I suppose.

#77 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

maxwatt: How do you think of citrus bioflavonoids in terms of inhibiting sulfonation? They generally contain mainly Hesperidin, some Naringin/Naringenin (the main grapefruit bioflavonoids), Rutin, Quercetin (not in significant amounts to be concerned about I believe), etc. All these bioflavonoids taken together might have a different effect from taking one type by itself. Is it worth trying?

Or if worth the trouble, I will make grapefruit juice with pulp/fibre filtered and drink with resveratrol. Along with piperine to block glucuronidation.

But I just realized that the St John's Wort I'm taking is inducing CYP3A4, the opposite effect of grapefruit juice(although it also inhibits CYP1A2).

Just which isoform(s) is/are relevant to the metabolism of resveratrol?

Phase I enzymes are irrelevant, since resveratrol already has plenty of OH groups.

PMID 11556815: UGT1A1, UGT1A9, and UGT1A10 hit resveratrol.
PMID 16418064: SULT1A1, SULT1A2, SULT1A3, and SULT1E1 hit resveratrol.
PMID 15070945: naringenin and hesperetin inhibit SULT1A1. I can't find evidence of enzyme induction, so go for it.

#78 kurt

• 59 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:50 AM

Hey, thanks for digging up these.
For the first 3, I will be using piperine. 10mg with each dose of resveratrol.
As for using citrus bioflavonoids, I'm concerned about the Rutin and Quercetrin being hydrolyzed into their aglycone Quercetin and end up metabolized to quercetin 3-O-glucuronide.
I took 500mg of citrus bioflavonoids along with the rest. I realized that my joints were more free, less inflammation/pain all over. Not sure if I'll be using long term. Just an experiment.

#79 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:59 PM

What is the latest concenus on Quercetin? Latest studies show a 4% increase in VO2 max which is interesting but i'm more interested in SIRT1 activation.

#80 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

What is the latest concenus on Quercetin? Latest studies show a 4% increase in VO2 max which is interesting but i'm more interested in SIRT1 activation.

Popular supplement quercetin does not enhance athletic performance

Athens, Ga. – The antioxidant quercetin is increasingly being marketed as a supplement that boosts athletic performance, but a new University of Georgia study finds that it is no better than a placebo.
Professor Kirk Cureton, head of the department of kinesiology in the UGA College of Education, and his colleagues tested quercetin in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study that assessed a variety of measures, including the ability of muscles to synthesize energy, cycling performance, perceived exertion and strength loss following exercise.
The researchers, whose results appear in the early online edition of the Journal of Applied Physiology, found that quercetin did not improve athletic performance in any of the measures they examined.“We did not see any performance enhancing effect of quercetin,” Cureton said. “To a certain extent that was disappointing because our hypothesis, based on previous studies in mice, was that we would see positive effects. But our findings are important because they suggest that results from the animal studies shouldn’t be generalized to humans.”
Quercetin is a naturally occurring antioxidant found in the skins of fruits, leafy vegetables, and berries, as well as in black tea, red wine and various fruit juices. It is sold as a supplement in nutrition stores and is an ingredient in sports drinks such as FRS Energy, which is promoted by cyclist Lance Armstrong.
In mice, quercetin has been shown to stimulate the production of mitochondria, which are the energy producing components of muscle cells and other tissue.
One study found that mice supplemented with quercetin increased their running endurance by up to 37 percent.In humans, however, the results have been mixed. An early and widely-cited study reported improvements in performance during a cycling time trial, but Cureton notes that data from the experimental group was not compared to the control group, making the statistical significance of the finding unclear. Published studies on competitive runners and cyclists have found no improvement in performance.

http://www.myhealthf...tic-performance

Edited by drmz, 06 October 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#81 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:14 PM

Ha, it doesn't even increase athletic performance! Thanks for the info.

Popular supplement quercetin does not enhance athletic performance

Athens, Ga. – The antioxidant quercetin is increasingly being marketed as a supplement that boosts athletic performance, but a new University of Georgia study finds that it is no better than a placebo.
Professor Kirk Cureton, head of the department of kinesiology in the UGA College of Education, and his colleagues tested quercetin in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study that assessed a variety of measures, including the ability of muscles to synthesize energy, cycling performance, perceived exertion and strength loss following exercise.
The researchers, whose results appear in the early online edition of the Journal of Applied Physiology, found that quercetin did not improve athletic performance in any of the measures they examined.“We did not see any performance enhancing effect of quercetin,” Cureton said. “To a certain extent that was disappointing because our hypothesis, based on previous studies in mice, was that we would see positive effects. But our findings are important because they suggest that results from the animal studies shouldn’t be generalized to humans.”
Quercetin is a naturally occurring antioxidant found in the skins of fruits, leafy vegetables, and berries, as well as in black tea, red wine and various fruit juices. It is sold as a supplement in nutrition stores and is an ingredient in sports drinks such as FRS Energy, which is promoted by cyclist Lance Armstrong.
In mice, quercetin has been shown to stimulate the production of mitochondria, which are the energy producing components of muscle cells and other tissue.
One study found that mice supplemented with quercetin increased their running endurance by up to 37 percent.In humans, however, the results have been mixed. An early and widely-cited study reported improvements in performance during a cycling time trial, but Cureton notes that data from the experimental group was not compared to the control group, making the statistical significance of the finding unclear. Published studies on competitive runners and cyclists have found no improvement in performance.

http://www.myhealthf...tic-performance

#82 osris

• 531 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

Found this in another thread on this forum:

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=27824

Well, looks like we've got a bit of news in the science world. Check out this study currently in press (accepted, but not printed yet). Quercetin increases brain and muscle mitochondrial biogenesis and exercise tolerance.

Let me post some excerpts (they are using "Male ICR mice, 8 weeks of age", btw):

"Quercetin feeding for 7 days resulted in an increase in PGC-1α (Figure 1A) and
SIRT1 mRNA (Figure 1B) in slow-twitch muscle and in the brain (P<0.05). We found
approximately a 100% increase in PGC-1α gene expression in the soleus muscle with both doses
of quercetin and a 50% and 100% increase in the brain following 12.5mg/Kg and 25mg/Kg
quercetin, respectively (Figure 1A). SIRT1 expression increased almost 200% in the muscle
with both doses of quercetin and by 50% and 100% in the brain following 12.5mg/Kg and
25mg/Kg quercetin, respectively (Figure 1B)."

Firstly, we see quite vividly the activation of Sirt1, as PGC-1alpha was doubled in abundance - and its abundance is directly controlled by Sirt1 activity as we've seen for resveratrol (blocking of Sirt1 activation of PGC-1alpha abolishes many of resveratrol's effects, for instance. PGC-1alpha is an essential step in the pathways activated by resveratrol and now quercetin).

"Mitochondrial DNA Content
The relative amount of soleus muscle and brain mtDNA was determined using RT-PCR.
Using cytochrome b as the target gene for mtDNA and β-actin as the internal control for nuclear
DNA, relative mitochondrial number was determined by an increase in copy number of mtDNA
per diploid nuclear genome. mtDNA was approximately doubled in the muscle and brain
following 7 days of feedings with the 25mg/Kg dose of quercetin (P<0.05), but there was no
change with the 12.5mg/Kg dose (Figure 2)."

As expected, mitochondrial biogenesis is stimulated, just as with resveratrol. Both quercetin and resveratrol are working through the same pathways here at least. This proves quite nicely that quercetin does not inhibit Sirt1, for which there has been no evidence in vitro, or in vivo, that I know of. Only with a fluor de lyse Sirt1 assay system (not using whole cells, but recombinant Sirt1) and a quercetin metabolite - a system that has been proven to give completely false results; as with resveratrol where that system showed direct binding to Sirt1, but then it was later proven that resveratrol does not bind Sirt1 and it was an artifact caused by the fluor de lyse fluorophore interacting with resveratrol (thus my hypothesis that it acts through Nampt).

Yes, there is no evidence that quercetin inhibits Sirt1 (that I know of), but instead was one of the two molecules screened out back in the day as a Sirt1 activator, with resveratrol being the other. And here we see in vivo absolutely that quercetin does not inhibit Sirt1, but is activating it apparently (we see this elsewhere too). How it's doing its activation though is an unknown.

"Treadmill Performance (Maximal Endurance Capacity)
In order to test the effects of quercetin on maximal running capacity, mice were fed
quercetin (12.5mg/Kg or 25mg/Kg) or placebo for 7 days prior to the run to fatigue; for these
experiments, the treadmill was operated at a fixed speed and grade (36m/min; 8% grade) Short-term
feedings of both doses of quercetin were associated with increased exercise capacity
(Figure 4) (P<0.05). The 12.5mg/Kg dose increased run time by 36% and the 25mg/Kg dose by
37%."

Again as expected, stamina increased, like we saw with resveratrol, once more suggesting the same pathways are activated by both to some degree.

Now, quercetin is different from resveratrol. Though they have many overlapping effects in vivo, they also have differing effects, and quercetin especially is known to have other roles than activating Sirt1 (Nampt?). For instance, from the paper:

"Quercetin, like caffeine, has been shown to be
an adenosine A1 receptor antagonist in vitro (1) and in vivo (unpublished data from our
laboratory) which is at least partially responsible for the psychostimulant and ergogenic effects
of caffeine (1, 5, 7, 9). Therefore, in addition to its effects on mitochondrial biogenesis,
quercetin may enhance exercise tolerance through its activity as an adenosine A1 receptor
antagonist in the brain."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the reason for posting this is to show we don't need to worry about taking resveratrol and quercetin together. In fact, the two have been shown to be powerful synergizers. Moreover, quercetin is quite potent at inhibiting the metabolizing enzymes that target resveratrol (though some percentage of deconjugation of resveratrol during uptake into living cells means it is hard to estimate what the real impact of those metabolism enzymes on resveratrol bioavailability is), theoretically increasing resveratrol's bioavailability significantly. Now we can expect the two to work together in Sirt1 and PGC-1alpha activation.

From reading the literature, I do not believe quercetin is near as potent as resveratrol. It appears resveratrol may be far more potent at kicking on the pathways than quercetin in absolute terms, in that resveratrol gives longer lasting, more consistant and profound physiological benefits in vivo, than quercetin does. This may reflect different start points in the activation of the Sirt1 pathways, and/or additional pathways. Quercetin for sure has other pathways by which it affects the body, as the final quote from that paper illustrated. Furthermore, quercetin has not been shown to mimic CR, as far as I know, again differentiating it away from resveratrol - also again implying quercetin acts farther down the pathway while resveratrol acts higher up (Nampt) where more branches of other pathways will be activated. That doesn't mean quercetin won't also mimic CR, as there is now a chance for that, but it has not been observed, as far as I know.

Quercetin is no replacement for resveratrol. But together, much greater benefits than either alone may be gained, this data suggests. Until we have actual in vivo studies with both of them specifically, we cannot know absolutely, but all evidence points that way so far.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#83 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:33 AM

Do we know if body tissues have differential affinities for one or the other?

Also, even if quercetin loses to R in terms of potency/theoretical effectiveness it seems to win in terms of bioavailability. So the net effect of the two variables is unclear: R might end up being less useful than Q, despite its theoretical promise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users