Photo
- - - - -

Legal status of foreign citizens under suspension

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on the future legal status of foreign citizens under suspension in the U.S.?

Currently cryonics patients under suspension in the U.S. are considered legally dead and, as such, the citizenship status of the patient is not an issue (I believe). However, I wonder about the risk to such patients due to future changes in legal status, especially when the possibly of revival becomes more widely recognized from both the technical and legal viewpoints. Could there be a risk of deportation in that the cryonics organization would be ordered to move the patient outside of the U.S., or handover the patient to a foreign country?

My first thought was that anonymous suspensions might be a possibility, but then I realized that it would only increase the risk as I can imagine there would be requests for DNA samples if any agency were required to identify patients.

Maybe it would be better to plan for affiliated storage facilities available in a number of countries, with predetermined transport plans (and funding) for contingency. I wonder what the cost increase would be to maintain multiple backup facilities?

#2 jordansparks

• 29 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

That's really something that I think you shouldn't worry about. Basically, you only have two choices right now anyway for long-term storage, and they are both in the US. Your problem doesn't even become a problem until such time as revival becomes more obviously possible. That's a very long way off, on the order of over a century. The worst that I think would happen is that you would be deported upon revival.

#3 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:35 PM

Cryonics patients have no legal status as people. If and when in a far flung future they come to be legally regarded as people, what if any legal connection there might be to their predecessor person is an open question. It's so far off that it's almost pointless to speculate about. It's certainly not on the radar screen of any government. Nor should it be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users